Forth for ColdFire (5272)
Author Message
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

I'm helping to bring up new hardware under a Motorola ColdFire processor
(the 5272), and would appreciate any pointers to useful Forth
implementations for that processor.  This should be a resident Forth, not a
cross-compiler.  This should be a free Forth, since the goal is to
interactively test and debug hardware on a new platform-- not to develop
application software.  ANS Forth is not at all a priority.  I don't care
about support.  I don't care about extensive libraries.

There is no operating system on the target.  I have a C compiler for the
target and so as a default will use one of the popular Forths that are
implemented in C unless someone knows of other options.  My primary
constraint here is time-- I want to have this ready by Monday, which means I
want to have something that I know will work without a lot of effort spent
on porting.  The C-based Forths (such as cforth, ATLAST, and FICL) offer
that, but again, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:03:17 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

> implemented in C unless someone knows of other options.  My primary
> constraint here is time-- I want to have this ready by Monday, which means I
> want to have something that I know will work without a lot of effort spent
> on porting.  The C-based Forths (such as cforth, ATLAST, and FICL) offer
> that, but again, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

The last one to port PFE to his coldfire system did notice that it was too
big for him - in the meantime quite some modularisation has happened. The
main task for porting will be to writer the terminal interface - most of
the deeply embedded systems have their own way of making first contact...

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:17:29 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:
> The last one to port PFE to his coldfire system did notice
> that it was too big for him - in the meantime quite some
> modularisation has happened.

Our target has a couple megabytes.  I would hope that even the most "fat"
Forth out there would fit in that!

Quote:
> The main task for porting will be to writer the terminal
> interface - most of the deeply embedded systems have
> their own way of making first contact...

Yes, thanks.  I'll take a look at PFE.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:01:20 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)
There used to be ColdFire Forth ( forth.teegra.net and forth.cx ,
both sites not working now.

Try
http://www.forth.org.ru/~mlg/forth.cx/
but this is the *1st* version, the second version had been
released, but it's not there.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:19:48 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:
> Try
> http://www.forth.org.ru/~mlg/forth.cx/
> but this is the *1st* version, the second version had been
> released, but it's not there.

Thanks very much.  Even a broken early version would likely do more than I
need.  I'll look into this and see how it compares against the other
suggestions that I've been happy to report have been rolling in.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:10:16 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)
John,
you could try http://www.*-*-*.com/
from Colour Vision Systems. They are
the ones from the currently dead cold
forth links. I recall Charles Esson
was involved.
I have some info on this Forth, actualy
the whole tarball they once offered on
their pages, if you need it.

-Roelf

A 'teaser' from the archives:

Subject: COLDFORTH forth.cx Small discussion on HTML server
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 08:09:00 +1000

Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

New version uploaded.
1) RPC and NFS added.
2) file classes reworked now a lot cleaner.
3) Telnet improved when using a unix client ( the NT client sucks, and
as a result outcomes will always be poor, but I am sure anyone who knows
unix and has used a NT client knows this)
4) Some bug fixes.

I noted somewhere some discussion on TCP servers. COLDFORTH can start
and kill tasks at runtime so the servers perform a listen; when a TCP
connection is opened the server starts a separate thread and makes the
TCP connection the threads I/O device; allowing the application to use
the standard FORTH words for data input and output.

This does have nice side affects, the number of telnet sessions that can
be opened is limited by a constant looked at by the telnet server and
available memory, and the telnet client uses the same QUIT word as the
local tasks.

This model will come into it's own when the HTML server is written as
the HTML server has to handle a large number of simultaneous
connections.

With the completion of the HTML server COLDFORTH will be a rather nice
environment to develop embedded application. The application front end
being HTML pages.

It is my intention to serve .html files as is and to run .4html through
the forth interpreter; that will allow one to create pages that have
dynamic content.

It has taken a lot of {*filter*}y work but it is finally coming together
nicely.

Regards
Charles Esson

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:49:45 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

> John,
> you could try http://www.cvs.com.au/
> from Colour Vision Systems. They are
> the ones from the currently dead cold
> forth links. I recall Charles Esson
> was involved.
> I have some info on this Forth, actualy
> the whole tarball they once offered on
> their pages, if you need it.

> -Roelf

Do you have the 2nd version that used to be at coldforth.teegra.net?
If you do, please, send me a copy.
I have www space to publish it.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:35:34 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

> Do you have the 2nd version that used to be at coldforth.teegra.net?
> If you do, please, send me a copy.
> I have www space to publish it.

coldForth
version: 0.5
history: 0.2

I don't have the original tar ball anymore,
after unpacking, I thrashed the ball at the
time.
But I can zip it for you: 3.5 mb
Send it?
Might be not so bad idea to get in contact
with Colour Vision Systems, I think.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:05:37 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Until is also a C-based Forth. I have built is as small as 16k on a PC
just for grins. There is a great deal of options in the C code for what
to leave in or take out. Look in the until.h file and undef what you
don't want to include in the C .exe. It was still on Taygeta the last
time I looked...

Norm

Quote:
> There is no operating system on the target.  I have a C compiler for the
> target and so as a default will use one of the popular Forths that are
> implemented in C unless someone knows of other options.  My primary
> constraint here is time-- I want to have this ready by Monday, which means I
> want to have something that I know will work without a lot of effort spent
> on porting.  The C-based Forths (such as cforth, ATLAST, and FICL) offer
> that, but again, if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 21:10:24 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

> > Do you have the 2nd version that used to be at coldforth.teegra.net?
> > If you do, please, send me a copy.
> > I have www space to publish it.

> coldForth
> version: 0.5
> history: 0.2

> I don't have the original tar ball anymore,
> after unpacking, I thrashed the ball at the
> time.
> But I can zip it for you: 3.5 mb
> Send it?

Yes, please; the latest version that I have is 0.4.

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:50:50 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

> > Do you have the 2nd version that used to be at coldforth.teegra.net?
> > If you do, please, send me a copy.
> > I have www space to publish it.

> coldForth
> version: 0.5
> history: 0.2

> I don't have the original tar ball anymore,
> after unpacking, I thrashed the ball at the
> time.
> But I can zip it for you: 3.5 mb
> Send it?
> Might be not so bad idea to get in contact
> with Colour Vision Systems, I think.

There's a web archive:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/coldforth.teegra.net
http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net/

Not sure if
http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net...
will work. For me, it does not.

(My thanks to Mitch Wright)

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:14:50 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

"> There's a web archive:

Quote:
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/coldforth.teegra.net
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net/

> Not sure if
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net...
> will work. For me, it does not.

For me it did!
It's version 0.8 and the ball is 1 mb,
I'll send it to your email adres.

Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:38:52 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:
> "> There's a web archive:
> > http://web.archive.org/web/*/coldforth.teegra.net
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net/

> > http://web.archive.org/web/20010302134352/http://coldforth.teegra.net...

Now the site is mirrored at:

http://www.forth.org.ru/~mlg/mirror/coldforth.teegra.net/

and also available for download as
http://www.forth.org.ru/~mlg/mirror/coldforth081.rar (724,401 bytes)
or
http://www.forth.org.ru/~mlg/mirror/coldforth.teegra.net/tr.tar.gz (1,066,676 bytes)

Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:50:12 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:

>I'm helping to bring up new hardware under a Motorola ColdFire processor
>(the 5272), and would appreciate any pointers to useful Forth
>implementations for that processor.

Please educate the heathens among us.
What is this coldfire anyway? 16/32 bits? Does it look
anything like a 68K?

Groetjes Albert
To suffer is the prerogative of the strong. The weak -- perish.

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:58:00 GMT
 Forth for ColdFire (5272)

Quote:
> Please educate the heathens among us.
> What is this coldfire anyway? 16/32 bits? Does
> it look anything like a 68K?

The Motorola ColdFire series of microcontrollers is essentially a 68k subset
implemented as a RISC processor.  It has the same programming model as a
68k, and many of the same opcodes names.  It isn't binary compatible,
however.

Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:09:49 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Python 2.2 on uC/OS or uCLinux .. Motorola 5272 or Netburner SB72

2. uCforth uClinux coldfire

3. Green Hiils AdaMULTI 2000 -> Motorola Coldfire

4. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

5. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

6. Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly

7. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

8. ans forth link broken at forth.org

9. Forth Dimensions, SIG Forth newsletter

10. C->FORTH FORTH->C Translators

11. forth in forth

12. Forth for MIPS (WAS: Forth on a PDA)