nephyte needs f83 examples & examples
Author Message
 nephyte needs f83 examples & examples

Category 1,  Topic 33
Message  35       Sat May 25, 1991
P.VARN [Paul Varn]           (Forwarded)

I couldn't find another place to post a request for help. I'm trying to learn
Forth on the Atari ST.  I have the '83 version of Brodie's book but I'm having
trouble with starting out.  I can't figure out how to create a new file so I
can open and edit it.  I also can't figure out how to remove or add blocks to
a file. The implementations I've tried are: F83.TOS and F65K.TOS.

Can anyone suggest a better documented ST Forth to learn from or give me some
hints on the ones I've tried to get me over the starting learning curve?
Thank you.
 -Pv-

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Sat, 13 Nov 1993 02:55:24 GMT
 nephyte needs f83 examples & examples
Category 1,  Topic 33
Message  36       Sat May 25, 1991
P.VARN [Paul Varn]           (Forwarded)

I made a small error in my lat post.  Should have been F68K.TOS NOT F65K.TOS.
 -Pv-

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Sat, 13 Nov 1993 02:55:26 GMT
 nephyte needs f83 examples & examples
Category 1,  Topic 33
Message  38       Sat May 25, 1991
P.VARN [Paul Varn]           (Forwarded)

Thanks ELLIOT.C for your note.

When you mentioned TOP and IND, TOP is some kind of screen position? I
couldn't find any reference to IND or do you mean INDEX? Your mention of
CREATE-FILE is interesting.  That's the command I've been tryin to use that
locks up when I use it.  Every mention I've seen of it has cloudy reference to
its use syntax.  You've given me a good clue with n CREATE-FILE <name>.  I'm
going to give that a try. Any other handy file specific words I should know?

At one point I did manage to save and open a file I created by re-naming an
existing file from the OS and using the Forth editor to WIPE the blocks.  I
then wrote into them, saved and opened them. One of my blocks where I tried a
wild experiment loaded and executed (something REALLY simple).  I tried the
teaching example from the beginning of Brodie's book in another block and it
wouldn't load and execute although there was nothing wrong with the text. I'm
off to do some more playing.  If someone has a suggestion for any text in the
library that might address some beginner questions and words specific to the
ST I have an ear.
 -Pv-

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Sat, 13 Nov 1993 02:55:28 GMT

1. nephyte needs f83 examples & examples

2. nephyte needs f83 examples & examples

3. Need tk_dialog example & menu example

4. Neophyte needs F83 examples

5. need vrml tutorial & examples

6. setf & setq, newbie needs short definitions/examples

7. Need examples: Tk & C

8. Aef's examples: DDE example ( dde.zip 1/3)

9. Aef's examples: DDE example (dde.zip 0/3)

10. Aef's examples:DDE example (dde.zip3/3)

11. Aef's examples: DDE example (dde.zip 2/3)

12. Announce: TimingAnalyzer Diagram Examples, Scripting Examples, App Note