FORTH for WinCE?
Author Message
 FORTH for WinCE?

Is there a FORTH for WinCE?

I found a reference to:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
        Pocket Forth v0.1 for Windows CE is a work in progress.
        There are MIPS and SH3 binaries available.

On the page "Some Forth Systems to Try" at:
        http://www.*-*-*.com/
(It's hidden inside an HTML error and only shows up when you look at the
HTML source of that page.  But the reference *is* in there...)

Unfortunately, the link is broken :(

I didn't find any mention of FORTH on WinCE sites.

I guess one could use a small C-based FORTH as starting point.
Has anyone done this?

-- Jean-Claude

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?

Quote:
>Is there a FORTH for WinCE?

I use XTCE on my Windows CE 1.0 handheld and then run Pygmy on that.

XTCE emulates an IBM 'XT' DOS computer and Pygmy is the version of Forth
that I like best.

XTCE lives at http://www.pyram-id.demon.co.uk/XTCE.html.  It is time
limited software - unless you register - as I have done.

--
Bill Powell.    Chartered Engineer  <http://www.mrv5.demon.co.uk>
    (Broadband Video, Data & Telecommunications)

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?

Quote:

> Is there a FORTH for WinCE?

> I found a reference to:
>         http://www.davidn.com/pforth.htm
>         Pocket Forth v0.1 for Windows CE is a work in progress.
>         There are MIPS and SH3 binaries available.

> On the page "Some Forth Systems to Try" at:
>         http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/aborigine/4thres/systems.htm
> (It's hidden inside an HTML error and only shows up when you look at the
> HTML source of that page.  But the reference *is* in there...)

> Unfortunately, the link is broken :(

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll try to fix the error and the link.

--
Bye for now
                                         ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /

                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom Chapter
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   at www.users.zetnet.co.uk/aborigine/forth.htm

Sun, 30 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?

Quote:
>I found a reference to:
> http://www.davidn.com/pforth.htm
> Pocket Forth v0.1 for Windows CE is a work in progress.
> There are MIPS and SH3 binaries available.
>I didn't find any mention of FORTH on WinCE sites.

It was available on http://www.hpcmag.com.

I have a copy for SH3.  I could place it on my site if you are
interested.

--Paul

Tue, 02 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?

Quote:
> >I found a reference to:
> > http://www.davidn.com/pforth.htm
> > Pocket Forth v0.1 for Windows CE is a work in progress.
> > There are MIPS and SH3 binaries available.

> >I didn't find any mention of FORTH on WinCE sites.

> It was available on http://www.hpcmag.com.

> I have a copy for SH3.  I could place it on my site if you are
> interested.

> --Paul

The problem with our Web page should be fixed now, but not, unfortunately,
the broken link.

I don't think I should point it to hpcmag, which doesn't seem to have a
reference to PocketForth any more as far as I could see.  So I'm going to
have to remove the entry unless you are willing to have a pointer to your
site.

Might I use this opportunity to appeal for anyone who knows of any other
overlooked Forth (for WinCE or any other OS) to let me have a paragraph
about it and a link to post on
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/aborigine/4thres/systems.htm?

Thanks
--
Jack Brien
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/aborigine/forth.htm

Wed, 03 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?
Jack,

[...]

Quote:
> The problem with our Web page should be fixed now, but not,
> unfortunately, the broken link.

I'm afraid not.  You're missing a closing quote character in:
   <A HREF="ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Reviewed/jx4nt110.zip>

Quote:
> I don't think I should point it to hpcmag, which doesn't seem to have
> a reference to PocketForth any more as far as I could see.  So I'm
> going to have to remove the entry unless you are willing to have a
> pointer to your site.

Hm, same here.  I couldn't find PocketForth on the hpcmag site :(

And since my machine is a MIPS system (Cassiopeia E11), it looks like
there is no such thing as FORTH for it, right now.  That's ok, my Q was
out of curiosity and interest, not an immediate/urgent/desperate need.

Looks like the one way out so far is to use the XT PC emulator (!).

-- Jean-Claude

Wed, 03 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH for WinCE?

Quote:

> Jack,

> [...]
> > The problem with our Web page should be fixed now, but not,
> > unfortunately, the broken link.

> I'm afraid not.  You're missing a closing quote character in:
>    <A HREF="ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Reviewed/jx4nt110.zip>

That seems to be Jax for for Windows NT rather than Pocket Forth
for Windows CE.  :-(

Quote:
> > I don't think I should point it to hpcmag, which doesn't seem to have
> > a reference to PocketForth any more as far as I could see.  So I'm
> > going to have to remove the entry unless you are willing to have a
> > pointer to your site.

> Hm, same here.  I couldn't find PocketForth on the hpcmag site :(

> And since my machine is a MIPS system (Cassiopeia E11), it looks like
> there is no such thing as FORTH for it, right now.  That's ok, my Q was
> out of curiosity and interest, not an immediate/urgent/desperate need.

> Looks like the one way out so far is to use the XT PC emulator (!).

> -- Jean-Claude

Here's a suggestion.  What about using one of the Forth's written in C?
(Such as gForth).  Since there are C compilers available for Windows
CE you could use one of them to get up and running.

Mon, 08 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. FORTH on WinCE systems?

2. WinCE Forth?

3. Any plans to support PocketPC/WinCE?

4. Smalltalk for WinCE

5. Where is Squeak for WinCE/HP320?

6. ST for WinCE?

7. Clipper applications running on WinCE

8. Who needs SQL Anywhere Studio with WinCE support?

9. ruby on mips wince

10. Re : PocketRuby for HP Jornada 820 (WinCe v 2.11, StrongArm processor)

11. Ruby WinCE (Mips) Status?

12. Power-Off of Intel based x86 system under WinCE