x3j14/dpans99a.pdf why?
Author Message
 x3j14/dpans99a.pdf why?

Quote:
> ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/x3j14/dpans99a.pdf

Please can someone sketch for me why dpans99a.pdf exists?

Me, I tried glancing thru the front matter.  I tried reviewing all the
uses inside of the strings "94" and "diff".  I failed to clue in.  I
see "This is a draft proposed American National Standard to replace
ANSI X3.215-1994." but I don't see any changes marked as such?  Me, I
tried searching the Google comp.lang.forth archives for "dpans99a".  I
see almost no mention.  Was this perhaps the start of a by-now-fizzled
effort?

Thanks in advance.    Pat LaVarre

Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:38:28 GMT
 x3j14/dpans99a.pdf why?

Quote:
> Please can someone sketch for me why dpans99a.pdf exists?

Me, I still don't know ... but via <http://forth.sourceforge.net/> I
did find a couple of different sets of enhancements proposed for Ans
Forth:

Quote:
> http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/ans/faq.html

This text suggests "Technical Group"s out there somewhere may be
writing "Technical Report"s to "serve as a basis for implementations
for some years until the technology has matured sufficiently for a
standard."

Quote:
> http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/ans/faq.html

These I think I can quote concisely:

Support for internationalisation and extended characters sets
Support for embedded and ROMable systems
Withdrawal of "obsolescent words"
Clarifications ... to reflect the original intent

Quote:
> http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/forth/ans/extentions/index.html

I see no quick summary, but I'd paraphrase these as:

mae1: Exception: Associate a string for throw to print with a new
throwable number, a la GForth.

mae2: Throw: Redefine throw to leave the input source specification
alone: let load, include-file, etc. clean up their own mess, a la
GForth.

mae4: Redirect-output: Add a way to redirect . etc. to files, to
memory, etc., a la GForth.

mae3: Outfile-id: Add a way to flush redirected output, a la GForth.

mae6: Required aka Needs: Add a word to help avoid pointlessly
repeating included

mae5: Fast-execute: Add a way to tell an optimising compiler what to
assume will be the stack effect of a particular use of the word
Execute.

pa1: Add a set of words to do big and little endian fetches and stores
of any of the commonly used cell sizes less than or equal to the
native cell size.

Pat LaVarre

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:48:37 GMT
 x3j14/dpans99a.pdf why?

Quote:
>> ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/x3j14/dpans99a.pdf

>Please can someone sketch for me why dpans99a.pdf exists?

Hmmm ... after glancing at it myself for the first time, my guess
would be a requirement of the ANSI to have a second squiz at the thing
5 years on?

I think I recall mention of this, and a decision to say, "yeah, that's
pretty much it for now", and focus instead on the request of the ISO
to standardise some things in cross-compilation and
internationalisation.

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:34:04 GMT
 x3j14/dpans99a.pdf why?

Quote:

> > ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/x3j14/dpans99a.pdf

> Please can someone sketch for me why dpans99a.pdf exists?

> Me, I tried glancing thru the front matter.  I tried reviewing all the
> uses inside of the strings "94" and "diff".  I failed to clue in.  I
> see "This is a draft proposed American National Standard to replace
> ANSI X3.215-1994." but I don't see any changes marked as such?  Me, I
> tried searching the Google comp.lang.forth archives for "dpans99a".  I
> see almost no mention.  Was this perhaps the start of a by-now-fizzled
> effort?

> Thanks in advance.    Pat LaVarre

You should ask why there is no dpans99b.pdf

I have some ideas, but it's a bit difficult to explain.

Well, the TC finally decided to approve the existing standard,
and what is the current status of proposals, I just do not know.

Try to ask some other question. May be you'll get a more
informative reply.

--
the right question is half the answer

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:40:56 GMT

1. why why why oh why why baby

2. Search some String in PDF with PDF.OCX

3. Appendix.pdf - Appendix.pdf (0/6)

4. extract info from pdf doc,PDF to XML, HTML

5. CL-PDF the Common Lisp PDF Library 0.2

6. CL-PDF: need beta testers for cl-pdf 1.0

7. CL-PDF 0.45 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)

8. CL-PDF 0.41 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)

9. CL-PDF (Common Lisp PDF library) beta test

10. CL-PDF 0.3 (The Common Lisp PDF Library)

11. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (1/1)

12. Acrobat 3.0 PDF Version of Tcl/Tk 8.0 Quick Reference - refbase.pdf (0/1)