GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others
Author Message
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

Hi!

You will find some status report about the GForth EC development
together with some demo files at:
www.jwdt.com/gforth/ec

Current targets are:
6502
C165
PSC1000
8086

bye, Jens Wilke

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

[snipped]

Quote:
>Hi!

>You will find some status report about the GForth EC development
>together with some demo files at:
>www.jwdt.com/gforth/ec
>PSC1000
>Jens Wilke

Thanks!
--
Keith Wootten

Thu, 27 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

Quote:
>Hi!

>You will find some status report about the GForth EC development
>together with some demo files at:
>www.jwdt.com/gforth/ec

>Current targets are:
>6502
>C165
>PSC1000
>8086

>bye, Jens Wilke

I bought my PSC1000 (ShBoom) demo board a couple of months ago, with a
view to evaluating the processor for a (not-too-distant) future embedded
project.  I was a bit disappointed to find no mention of Forth in the
documentation, even though it's a stack machine - the assembler
mnemonics are documented with stack comments but no mention of the
dreaded F-word.  I tried the supplied C compiler.  The example ran and
said "Hello, World".  I modified this to say "Hello, Keith".  My first
real C program and already I was hating it! :-)

Then I downloaded Jens Wilke's Forth demo.  Within five minutes I had
made an LED on the output port turn on an off using only a 32bit 40MHz
stack machine and a 200MHz Pentium Pro terminal!!!  This would have
taken several man-years in C.

All embedded systems start with an LED being turned on and off.  This is
an inviolable law of nature.  Tomorrow, the world.

Thanks for the kick-start.  I look forward to future developments.

It's notable that while the ShBoom is without doubt a Forth machine,
it's being touted as a Java engine (and supplied with a C compiler).  If
this means that it's going to become a large volume established part,
then I'm all for it.  Makes you wonder if the marketeers feel that
mentioning Forth would have a negative impact.

[ BTW PSC1000 demo boards are available in the UK from Thame Components
for about UKP200.  The processor itself is ridiculously small in a 100
pin PQFP.  It's made by NatSemi - this and the packaging imply that
either it's a serious part or somebody's going to lose a lot of money.
The former, IMO. ]

--
Keith Wootten

Thu, 03 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

Quote:
> I bought my PSC1000 (ShBoom) demo board a couple of months ago, with a
> view to evaluating the processor for a (not-too-distant) future embedded
> project.  I was a bit disappointed to find no mention of Forth in the
> documentation, even though it's a stack machine - the assembler
> mnemonics are documented with stack comments but no mention of the
> dreaded F-word.  I tried the supplied C compiler.  The example ran and
> said "Hello, World".  I modified this to say "Hello, Keith".  My first
> real C program and already I was hating it! :-)

Who wrote the C-compiler? And how many bugs are still in it :-)
I suppose it's quite an investment somebody has made there, especially
as for UKP200 for a full kit (?) they seem to be giving it away. That would
hardly cover the price of the manuals, unless they plan to sell an enormous
quantity.

[..]

Quote:
> [ BTW PSC1000 demo boards are available in the UK from Thame Components
> for about UKP200.  The processor itself is ridiculously small in a 100
> pin PQFP.  It's made by NatSemi - this and the packaging imply that
> either it's a serious part or somebody's going to lose a lot of money.
> The former, IMO. ]

I thought the ShBoom ran at 200 MHz?

And why advocate Java for a controller? Did I miss something again :-)

-marcel

Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

Quote:
>I thought the ShBoom ran at 200 MHz?

'Fraid not.  The current uP docs (which came yesterday, yay :) ) say 100Mhz
internal clock is the max on the current stuff.  Their blurb says they
have room to go faster with the smaller processes...

Quote:
>And why advocate Java for a controller? Did I miss something again :-)

Because they want to sell more psc1000s :)  If the '1000 executes
java bytecodes _at least_ as fast as x86 hardware (with just-in-time
compilation) it'll be cheaper to use '1000s and run JavaOS in PDAs, set-top
boxes and NCs than to carry around enough Intel/Microsoft junk to run Win95
or whatever (they hope :) ).

I've always been very interested in pen computers, PDAs, and what they
now call 'NCs'; I'm still searching for the perfect device for each task.
The psc1000 looks like a really cool unit for these applications.

Quote:
>-marcel

Regards,

Eric Dorman

Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 GForth EC on PSC1000/ShBoom and others

writes

[snipped]

Quote:
>>I thought the ShBoom ran at 200 MHz?

>'Fraid not.  The current uP docs (which came yesterday, yay :) ) say 100Mhz
>internal clock is the max on the current stuff.  Their blurb says they
>have room to go faster with the smaller processes...

The evaluation board runs at 40MHz with promises of a 100MHz PSC1005
soon.  Maybe the 200MHz is confusion with Chuck Moore's MISC chips?

Quote:
>>And why advocate Java for a controller? Did I miss something again :-)

>Because they want to sell more psc1000s :)  If the '1000 executes
>java bytecodes _at least_ as fast as x86 hardware (with just-in-time
>compilation) it'll be cheaper to use '1000s and run JavaOS in PDAs, set-top
>boxes and NCs than to carry around enough Intel/Microsoft junk to run Win95
>or whatever (they hope :) ).

I think the Java angle is for a 'Web Book' - obviously this is where
Patriot see the volume market.

--
Keith Wootten

Wed, 09 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. FS: Patriot PSC1000 ShBoom dev system

2. SwiftX for PSC1000/ShBoom

3. Patriot PSC1000 ShBoom chip board

4. gforth and shboom

5. gforth EC

6. Patriot Scientific PSC1000 / Ignite1

7. Announcement: PSC1000 module available

8. PSC1000 data

9. EC Charts

10. Shboom Chip

11. ShBoom Evaluation Board