FORTH and TCP/IP
Author Message
 FORTH and TCP/IP

Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel implemented
in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language (from years ago)
leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be a rather useful
combination.
 awaiting comments. All flames forwarded to packet multipliers.

Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH and TCP/IP

Quote:

> Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel implemented
> in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language (from years ago)
> leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be a rather useful
> combination.
>  awaiting comments. All flames forwarded to packet multipliers.

Skip couldn't recall when I asked him last a few months back and I do not seem
to have seen anything of it yet. We might have to do the research of the
requirements and produce some code for it yet.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.
Tel: +44 (0)117-9499861

Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH and TCP/IP

Quote:

> > Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel implemented
> > in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language (from years ago)
> > leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be a rather useful
> > combination.
> >  awaiting comments. All flames forwarded to packet multipliers.

> Skip couldn't recall when I asked him last a few months back and I do not seem
> to have seen anything of it yet. We might have to do the research of the
> requirements and produce some code for it yet.

As far as I know there are *at least* commercial implementations available
now or real soon now (working prototypes).
Greg Bailey - Athena - available now
AN Other - not sure of leagal status
MPE/DelaComms - Industrial networking stack for Ethernet/SLIP/Fieldbus

Of course I know most about the last one. They are all targeted to
different application arenas. For more details contact MPE at one of
the contact addresses below.
--

MicroProcessor Engineering - More Real, Less Time
tel: +44 1703 631441, fax: +44 1703 339691

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH and TCP/IP

says...

Quote:

>> Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel implemented
>> in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language (from years ago)
>> leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be a rather useful
>> combination.
>>  awaiting comments. All flames forwarded to packet multipliers.

>Skip couldn't recall when I asked him last a few months back and I do
not seem
>to have seen anything of it yet. We might have to do the research of the
>requirements and produce some code for it yet.

Going the other way, I wonder if anyone has considered a Telnet client
(for Winsock or Unix Berkeley socket services) which has Forth as a
scripting language.

Since most socket clients involve telneting to a certain port of a server
and then giving pidgin English commands and getting data, such a Telnet
program could easily generate a news client, an email client, an ftp
client, et alia.

(For example, if I want to get my email, and I want to do it the hard
way, I can Telnet to port 110 of popd.ix.netcom.com, and give the
commands "user jmrubin", "pass <none-of-your-business>", "retr 1", "dele
1", "quit".)
--
 "The Misinformation Highway Begins Here."
        -- Monty python Web Site (http://www.pythonline.com)

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH and TCP/IP

Quote:

> > > Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel implemented
> > > in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language (from years ago)
> > > leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be a rather useful
> > > combination.

> As far as I know there are *at least* commercial implementations available
> now or real soon now (working prototypes).
> Greg Bailey - Athena - available now

Cheers,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth D. Rather              1-800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                         310-372-8493
111 N. Sepulveda Blvd.        Fax: 310-318-7130
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
http://websites.earthlink.net/~forth

applications since 1973."

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 FORTH and TCP/IP

Quote:

> > Gentlemen:  I am curious -- Has there been a TCP/IP kernel
> > implemented in/with/for FORTH?  My familiarity with the Language
> > (from years ago) leads me to believe that FORTH and TCP/IP would be
> > a rather useful combination.
> >  awaiting comments. All flames forwarded to packet multipliers.

> Skip couldn't recall when I asked him last a few months back and I do
> not seem to have seen anything of it yet. We might have to do the
> research of the requirements and produce some code for it yet.

Hi!

In fact I already did some IP-stuff in (ANS-)Forth. Based on the packet
driver interface I (so far) implemented a stack up to the state where
single IP packets can be sent to and received from the net. That means
that ARP + ARP cache with all this timeout stuff already works, it
receives and sends (some) ICMP messages, knows about default router,
netmask, ...

You are right that this works really great with Forth. The goal of my
package is to AVOID copying of buffers to make it fast on controllers (68k
is the target).

Now the bad point: I did all this as a contract work, so I cannot
contribute it to the community (but I will take a look at the contract
again, maybe I am wrong). But sure I could give some hints about how I did
it.

- Joerg

\ _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

\ _/ Haarzopfer Str. 32, D-45472 Muelheim, Germany      +49 (0)208 497068 _/
\ _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
\  I have the Pentium bug. And I like it!

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. TCP/IP Stack in Forth?

2. tcp/ip stack in forth

3. This Forth & Linux TCP/IP

4. Is TCP/IP in Forth source available anywhere?

5. Forth TCP/IP

6. TCP/IP and FORTH

7. does anyone have an example of a c++ TCP/IP client that works with labview TCP?IP server ??

8. How do I use dial up (PPP) TCP/IP port on a machine which also has TCP/IP LAN

9. TCP/IP for Smalltalk V

10. Interface Woes...Emulator/TCP/IP or GDDM?

11. TCP/IP AbtSocket connection problems

12. TCP/IP Under MVS: Assembler Interface