colorForth, XML, XScale
Author Message
 colorForth, XML, XScale

Hi you lot :-) Hat of to this Chuck Moore fellow; he's got me thinking
again.

I've been a Windows, C++, OO developer for over 15 years... until I saw the
light last week. I know very little about Forth; it was a bit nerdy even
when I started out, never mind now. However, I can see that there really is
something quite wonderful in it and am looking for a flavour of Forth for
Intel's XScale development board 'Lubbock' (having been totally worn down by
using Windows CE as a platform development and testing tool).

Can  someone please advise on the following:

1. XScale
Are there any XScale Forths out there I could use (alternatively StrongArm
or even plain ARM). I'm not lazy, I'm just way behind and need a jump-start.

2. colorForth
Of course, a lot of embedded platforms don't have displays, let alone colour
displays. How about a trivial terminal interface (with colour escape
sequences)? Has anyone out there got something like that they would care to
share?

3. XML
How about using XML for user I/O. You could use any old web browser to edit
you model/source... and using fonts and/or styles for classes or words
instead of colour (colour was just a pragmatic solution to distinguish
classes of words for his particular application). Very {*filter*}! Has anyone had
a go at this? Would you care to share it or point me to somewhere for
reference?

I very much look forward to your replies.

Tim
Ex Microsoft lap dog...

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:40:19 GMT
 colorForth, XML, XScale

Quote:

> 1. XScale
> Are there any XScale Forths out there I could use (alternatively StrongArm
> or even plain ARM). I'm not lazy, I'm just way behind and need a
> jump-start.

Gforth runs on ARM, (cross)compiled with GCC.

Quote:
> 2. colorForth
> Of course, a lot of embedded platforms don't have displays, let alone
> colour displays. How about a trivial terminal interface (with colour
> escape sequences)? Has anyone out there got something like that they would
> care to share?

ColorForth is not exactly what you call "embedded Forth", not in the typical
sense. If you make ColorForth embedded, you should separate the editor part
into the terminal.

Quote:
> 3. XML
> How about using XML for user I/O. You could use any old web browser to
> edit you model/source... and using fonts and/or styles for classes or
> words instead of colour (colour was just a pragmatic solution to
> distinguish classes of words for his particular application). Very {*filter*}!
> Has anyone had a go at this? Would you care to share it or point me to
> somewhere for reference?

Wolf Wejgaard uses something like that.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~paysan/

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 19:14:26 GMT
 colorForth, XML, XScale
Cheers!

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:20:41 GMT
 colorForth, XML, XScale

Quote:

> I've been a Windows, C++, OO developer for over 15 years... until I saw the
> light last week. I know very little about Forth;

Think of it as a kind of DOS: It has a command line (the interpreter)
and a compiler. Very much simplified...

Quote:
> 2. colorForth

Although I very much like Chuck Moore, I don't like colorForth at all.
But his CPU designs are really amazing...

Quote:

> 3. XML
> How about using XML for user I/O.

XML has a lot of noise in it, you may want to use other formats
for a small embedded system.

Quote:
> Tim
> Ex Microsoft lap dog...

Why? How? Don't you get killed when you leave the mafia?

Bye,
  Daniel

Wed, 13 Apr 2005 03:32:24 GMT
 colorForth, XML, XScale

Quote:
>1. XScale
>Are there any XScale Forths out there I could use (alternatively StrongArm
>or even plain ARM). I'm not lazy, I'm just way behind and need a jump-start.

The MPE ARM Forth compiler is available, and has a StrongARM option.
See the website for details.

Stphen

tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691
web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk - free VFX Forth downloads

Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:24:29 GMT

1. Altering XScale of Waveform Graph

2. Using CLOCC xml.lisp to print XML in XML format

3. New colorForth links page

4. ColorForth: better on a Dec Alpha

5. ColorForth -- anyone still interested ? Windows version

6. colorforth glossary

7. About colorForth

8. A Newbee View of colorForth

9. ColorForth questions