Bug in Win32Forth on Win32s
Author Message
 Bug in Win32Forth on Win32s

Hi.

I downloaded the latest version of Tom Zimmers Win32Forth from Taygeta
and installed it.
I have to say that this is the coolest Forth I've ever seen.
But after playing around a bit I found a bug. It shows this behaviour:

The WinView program can be loaded by typing "edit whatever.f" if it is
not running. If it is running nothing happens. Same is with the
following code entered at the console:

Window mieps
Start: mieps
beepme

Not beep comes.

Reason: The WM_win32Forth message is handled by the window mieps
but the WM_BEEPME is not accepted. ( Same with the ED_OPEN_... stuff.)
The numbers are truncated because the are 0x80000 and above. Sadly
Win 3.1 is still 16-Bit in the wparam even when running with Win32s.

Solution: Change the constants to values lower than 65536. This applies
to all ED_... constants and the WM_BEEPME constant.

Note for T. Zimmer. It would be nice if you can put this change into
the next version.

Lars (not Freddy) Krueger

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Bug in Win32Forth on Win32s

Quote:

> Hi.

> I downloaded the latest version of Tom Zimmers Win32Forth from Taygeta
> and installed it.
> I have to say that this is the coolest Forth I've ever seen.
> But after playing around a bit I found a bug. It shows this behaviour:

> The WinView program can be loaded by typing "edit whatever.f" if it is
> not running. If it is running nothing happens.

This could be related to not having enough memory, or as you suggest later,
it could be related to a message number greater than 0xFFFF.  I thought
this had been fixed in version 3.2.  I will check it.

Quote:
> Same is with the
> following code entered at the console:

> Window mieps
> Start: mieps
> beepme

> Not beep comes.

> Reason: The WM_win32Forth message is handled by the window mieps
> but the WM_BEEPME is not accepted. ( Same with the ED_OPEN_... stuff.)
> The numbers are truncated because the are 0x80000 and above. Sadly
> Win 3.1 is still 16-Bit in the wparam even when running with Win32s.

> Solution: Change the constants to values lower than 65536. This applies
> to all ED_... constants and the WM_BEEPME constant.

I thought I had fixed that in the latest release, version 3.2.  Perhaps not.
Again, I will check it out.

Thank you for the report.  It would be nice if those {*filter*} bugs could be
eliminated forever, bug they never seem to quite go away completely.  We'll
just have to keep plugging away I guess.

Tom Zimmer

Sat, 16 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Win32Forth and Win32s "Still Hope"

2. Win32Forth EBP bug?

3. Win32Forth Wiki wish\bug list wanted.

4. ANS 6.1.1550 FIND (was FIND bug in Win32Forth)

5. Find Bug in Win32Forth?

6. Win32Forth asm bug

7. Win32Forth: Two frustrating bugs -- Tom Zimmer, you listening? :)

8. /STRING: Win32Forth bug

9. Win32Forth bugs part 3

10. Win32Forth bugs part 2

11. Win32Forth bugs 4th and last part