Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly
Author Message
 Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly

I can see why Forth in Forth (metacompiling) might be a little more
intimidating to the novice, but if you're interested in modifying
Forth itself, or to play around with new language concepts, my
experience is that it's the way to go.  If you just want to
_understand_ how it works, rather than mess with it, maybe C or
assembler would be less of a conceptual leap.  But for you hands on
types, make the extra effort - it's worth it.

My main reason for supporting metacompiling Forths is I think Forth
is the second most productive programming environment mere mortals
have access to.  Having to work in C or assembler, just because
you're working on the compiler instead of an application would seem
to be a step backwards.

-Tom Bushell

P.S. In case anybody cares what I think is the most productive
programming environment - Smalltalk.  But maybe that will change if
OOFs get rolling.

Sat, 13 Mar 1993 02:29:35 GMT

1. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

2. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

3. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

4. UR/FORTH vs. PC/FORTH

5. ans forth link broken at forth.org

6. Forth Dimensions, SIG Forth newsletter

7. C->FORTH FORTH->C Translators

8. forth in forth

9. Forth for MIPS (WAS: Forth on a PDA)

10. HTML in Forth (was Forth Web browsers)

11. Forth and A Forth

12. Visible Applications in Forth (was Re: Realizing project in Forth with the Mac)