Forth calls C
Author Message
 Forth calls C

Quote:
> There is one way I could agree to shrinking the ANSI wordset
> thereby eliminating all of these controversies over the string or file
> or ... wordsets.  Define a standard way of calling C functions from
> forth.  Then anyone could use all the functions in libc.a or any other C
> library and not need to reinvent the wheel (or words) in forth.
> Think about it, interface to C in an standard sequence and all the
> issues of strings, files, floating point, networking, GUI are
> mostly solved.  Use the C names, with the C specified arguments in a
> forth context. real easy.  But I figure this will never fly because
> the forth hackers of the world have their egos too wrapped up
> in reinventing the wheel in the forth way to get any real work done
> and make money using forth.

Many of my Forth products have this capability, but it is a major-league
support headache.  The problem is the diversity of calling conventions
and linker formats across different machines, across different C
implementations on the same machine, and even across different sets
of system routines supplied by the system vendor.

For instance, the Atari ST has about 5 different system interface levels,
each with different calling conventions, not to mention the 3 or 4 different
C compilers that have been popular at various times in the machines lifetime.

Even OS-9, which is in general a very well-designed operating system, has
about 4 or 5 different linkage mechanisms for various system interface
components.

Tue, 03 Aug 1993 06:13:30 GMT

1. CS people in Forth?

2. CS People in Forth?

3. Forth in CS

4. Believe or not, Forth in CS!

5. Forth and CS

6. Where does FORTH belong in CS and Academia?

8. Call for programs (CS investigation)

9. calling C from Forth was : tcpip in Forth

10. What's Forth good for...Was: CS people in Forth?

11. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

12. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language