About Palmtops and forth
Author Message
 About Palmtops and forth

30-Jan-98 17:58 Rich Beerman:

Hi, Rich!

Quote:
> Additionally, I'd love to see a Forth for my Newtons.  If you run across
> anything, please let me know!!   --   I do know there is a Forth for a
> palm pilot, though.

And would You be so kind to give me some specs about Newtons?
E.g. RAM, display type & dimentions in dots, OS or Shell's
supplied and preinstalled software, can it be connected to
PC and so on.

There was only one respond for my letter, here it is:

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 17:43:31 +0000

Subject: Re: Palmtops in one hand and forth another hand

I clipped the following a few months back.  I don't know if it is any
good.

  --------------  Clipping  ---------------

Quote:

> Where can I find a good ANS Forth for the Psion S3 ?

   The only implementation of Forth for the Psion 3*
machines that I've come across is the one by Steve
Godfrey. You can download a copy from the Imperial
College Psion archive:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Look in the developers section.

   Martin

P.S. I've no idea what ANS is or whether Steve's
     implementation conforms to it.

  ------------- End of clipping  -----------

--
Bill Powell.            ( MIME, UU )

       Atherstone, Warks., CV9 3AR.     |  Tel: +44 1827-718 945

WGR, Serge Droutchin.
PS There is one firm only in our city that supplied palmtops.
And they have only Psion that was I've asked for it.

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Quote:

>Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
>Subject: [NEWS] About Palmtops and forth
>30-Jan-98 17:58 Rich Beerman:
>Hi, Rich!

[...]

I'm so sorry, it's my fault, this should be private letter!

W/R, Serge Droutchin.

Tue, 25 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
but where?

Rik

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Quote:

> I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
> inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
> but where?

> Rik

You want a pay-for Forth, or a free one?

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------

Elijah Laboratories Inc.;  37 South Greenwood Avenue;  Palatine, IL 60067-6328
-----  M o d e l i n g   t h e   M e t h o d s   o f   t h e   M i n d  ------

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Quote:
> I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
> inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
> but where?

MPE's PC PowerForth Plus, a 16 bit DOS Forth, runs fine on palmtops. If
the screen is not completely PC compatible, you can turn off the direct
screen drivers, and choose BIOS or ANSI drivers. More details from the
web site, or send me your postal address for further details.
--
Stephen Pelc, MicroProcessor Engineering - More real, less time
133 Hill Lane, Shirley, Southampton SO15 5AF, England

web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk

Sun, 30 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Quote:

> I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
> inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
> but where?

> Rik

I have tried HS/FORTH (v.4.x, I think) on my HP200LX with no problems.
Someday when I have a little time I will use the HP200LX SDK to give
access to the built-in fp library functions used in the HP12 emulation
(business/scientific calculator). If I can hook them to HS/FORTH I
will have a full-featured language including graphics. My (paid-for!)
HS/F came with 80186 assembler extensions also, which would be apropos
to the HP200LX. The nice thing about HS/F is its size--only 32K.

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Quote:

> > I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
> > inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
> > but where?

> > Rik

> I have tried HS/FORTH (v.4.x, I think) on my HP200LX with no problems.
> Someday when I have a little time I will use the HP200LX SDK to give
> access to the built-in fp library functions used in the HP12 emulation
> (business/scientific calculator). If I can hook them to HS/FORTH I
> will have a full-featured language including graphics. My (paid-for!)
> HS/F came with 80186 assembler extensions also, which would be apropos
> to the HP200LX. The nice thing about HS/F is its size--only 32K.

polyFORTH also runs great on the HP 200LX and has a ton of features.

Jerry Petrey

Tue, 01 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

Julian,

   What is the status of this version of Forth nowadays?  Is it still
being marketed/developed?  Is the company still around?  How does it
compare to the various commercial and free versions?

   Thanks.

Steve Graham

Quote:

> > I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
> > inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
> > but where?

> > Rik

> I have tried HS/FORTH (v.4.x, I think) on my HP200LX with no problems.
> Someday when I have a little time I will use the HP200LX SDK to give
> access to the built-in fp library functions used in the HP12 emulation
> (business/scientific calculator). If I can hook them to HS/FORTH I
> will have a full-featured language including graphics. My (paid-for!)
> HS/F came with 80186 assembler extensions also, which would be apropos
> to the HP200LX. The nice thing about HS/F is its size--only 32K.

> --
> Julian V. Noble

> "Elegance is for tailors!"      -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Thu, 03 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 About Palmtops and forth

concerning "Re: About Palmtops and forth":

Quote:
} I'm looking for a forth for the HP 200LX, which is really a pcxt
} inside.  I know that a forth is out there specifically for the 200LX,
} but where?

I use a Olivetti Quaderno ( a < 2 pound PC-XT V30 16 MHz, CGA,
1 MB ram, 20 MB HD, + 1 MB flash PC-Card). I use a special
Modification of F-PC. The System was configured, that
most of the time F-PC's help/info-system works from the FLASH card
(used as strictly READonly for this purpose) and writes to VDISK
to maximise battery-time. I used it to develop applications
for F-PC and the Forth-controllers from TDS (Triangle, London).

This F-PC (F-PC-ak) is able to switch screen/char-size
(80x25 to 40x12 or ... ), it uses a modified file-search sequence
for its hyper-help-system and allows to DEcompile/DISassemble or
DUMP the associated 3 memory locations just by clicking the WORD
with function keys inside the editor. This allows to save power
by not using the Hard Disk. Also you will get sufficient information
without providing all the source files.

The system is fast enough to slow down to 8 MHz without discomfort.

The help system is switchable to different languages (english,
french and german) and to different systems/glossaries (f-pc,
eforth, TDS2020fig, TDS2020ans, TDS9092, tuboforth, asyst ... ),
this helps to write applications for different systems.

The system (also the kernel) provides a lot of ANS-compatibility
though F-PC is to difficult to convert to a true ANS-system.

It may be also suitable for the 200LX.
If you are interested, please give me a note.

Arndt Klingelnberg              Forth: F-PC-ak and Triangle TDS ( + CAN )
--
        after all this plug and play
        you will definitely have to pray

## CrossPoint v3.02 ##

Sun, 06 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Palmtops and Forth

2. Palmtops and Forth

3. Forth for Win CE Palmtops?

4. Palmtops in one hand and forth another hand

5. Forth on HP Palmtop

6. UTIL FORTH on a Palmtop PC

7. want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)

8. FORTH-83 for the HP95LX palmtop.

9. APL on the HP-100LX palmtop

10. APL2 on HP100LX Palmtop

11. J on Palmtops

12. Problem transfering clarion files from palmtop to windows