Conditional compilation
Author Message
 Conditional compilation

Quote:
> What about the simpler methods of
> conditional compiliation.  Have these all been rejected?  Why do we have
> to have the huge overhead of IFTRUE and such, rather than something
> simple and elegant, such as query-paren.

The trouble with query paren is that it doesn't nest, and it's a royal
pain to use if the stuff you are enclosing contains embedded right parens.

Another alternative is "conditional backslash".  It has problems too; it
doesn't nest, you need it at the start of every line, and it's
inconvenient to specify the equivalent of an "otherwise" clause with
this technique.

Are there some other commonly-used techniques I don't know about?

The overhead isn't huge; it can be implemented in about 150 bytes in
ANS Forth.  It's optional, too; it's in the extension portion of the
optional files wordset.  So, even if you implement the file wordset,
you don't have to have these words.  I can't think of any good reason
for a vendor not to supply them at least in source form though.

Interestingly, within hours of announcing their existence, I received
an enthusiastic personal email reply from a person who was very glad
to have them.

I guess its just a matter of personal taste.

Mon, 02 Aug 1993 12:05:40 GMT

1. Conditional Compilation

2. Conditional Compilation.

3. Conditional compilation

4. Conditional compilation

5. conditional compilation

6. Names for conditional compilation.

7. Conditional compilation

8. Conditional compilation

9. styles for conditional compilation?

10. styles for conditional compilation?

11. Conditional compilation

12. conditional compilation (was C++ vs Modula-2)