Forth standards (was "forth standard?")
Author Message
 Forth standards (was "forth standard?")

Quote:
>I'm in the middle of writting a forth kernal and i am wondering if there is
>a standard for forth?

No, Forth does not have "a standard."  It has LOTS of standards!

Many people still use FIGForth, a sort of de facto pre-standard.  MMS
sells the official 79-Standard and 83-Standard documents at $15.00 each
-- these probably are representative of most Forth language and
application implementations out there now.

For $80 or so, you soon will be able to buy the official document for the
about-to-be-introduced and controversial IEEE/ANSI Forth Standard, which
some will be adopting and some will not.  A group of those who will not
has already announced its reasons why, and has proposed completing its
own "Compatible-Forth" standard effort once the final version of this
ANSI Forth standard is out and somewhat stabilized.  Hopefully, this will
permit a smaller, more traditional Forth standard which still tracks the
new ANSI standard where that is not felt to be a bad compromise.

Forth has proven itself by being small, flexible and powerful, but the
most compelling feature of Forth is that it's DIFFERENT.  Forth standards
will continue to reflect that fact.

--Dick Miller

A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |

Voice: 508/653-6136, 9am-9pm -0500(EST)| Natick, MA 01760-2099, USA    |
MMSFORTH: The cure for the common code.| 42 18'00.79" N, 71 22'27.68" W|

Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:15:59 GMT
 Forth standards (was "forth standard?")

Quote:
> Many people still use FIGForth, a sort of de facto pre-standard.

The only standard that's actually standardised enough to write reasonably
portable code in... I had a nice full-screen screen editor I did that ran
under CP/M, on the PDP-11 under RSX, on the HP 1000 under MPE-IV, and on
the Apple-II native.
--
Peter da Silva                                            `-_-'
Network Management Technology Incorporated                 'U`

Wed, 31 Jul 1996 07:00:09 GMT

:
: The only standard that's actually standardised enough to write reasonably
: portable code in... I had a nice full-screen screen editor I did that ran
: [...]

Peter, can you elaborate on this?  What do you feel figForth provided
that later efforts (79, 83, ANS) did not?

Cheers,

Sr. Software Engineer         ICOM, Inc.               414-321-8000
*[Any opinions expressed are mine, not necessarily those of ICOM.]*

Sat, 03 Aug 1996 02:15:33 GMT

1. Building "non-standard" standard extensions

2. Forth books (was "ANS Forth")

3. "Fifth", "Forth", zai nar?

4. FS: "Starting Forth", "Thinking Forth", & 8/80 BYTE (Forth Issue)

5. Testing Forth and Forth Standards

6. 32 bit standard forth, forth assembler, unreadability

7. "Standard" Windows Mac OS X Menu

8. Explanation of "semantics" in the standard

9. Logo "standard"?

10. Logo "standard"?

11. Logo "standard"?

12. "gepp" as a NICE standard