One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who
Author Message
 One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who

Dave asked:

With all this discussion of the merits of Forth, I wonder if somebody           could comment on the usefulness of a language that merrily accepts
things like:

: 1 2 ;

resulting in:

1 1 + . 4 ok
------------

The FORTH language is very useful. I suspect that's not what you're
fishin for but I bet the big one you're after get's away! 8^)

It merrily accepts : : do somthing else also ; . I find this a virtue.

I think it is a strength to be this flexible. Cosider fuzzy logic:

If I say : 1 1.004 : I have a waited value that can still be referred to
as "1".

I know of NO OTHER LANGUAGE that lets me SO MERRILY hide my complexity.

Bill GATES Addressing AT&T 3/6/91 :

Sophisticated Simplicity. Writing complex software that enables people
with a few simple keystrokes, to have more info faster and better than before.

This in short is the vision I have always had.

So I get to do what Bill wants and without being overly complex.
I still  say this is a virtue, where Virtue = Merit

Now the challenge:

Show me a shorter and cleaner way to weight an absolute ( from the user POV )
value. Your choice of language, don't even have to have merit but must
run on some existing computer we can test it on!

See you shortly, Clyde
"...the quicker it opens the sooner it closes" From "Run for the Roses" Garcia

Tue, 07 Sep 1993 04:31:14 GMT
 One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who

Quote:

>If I say : 1 1.004 : I have a waited value that can still be referred to
>as "1".

>I know of NO OTHER LANGUAGE that lets me SO MERRILY hide my complexity.
>Now the challenge:

>Show me a shorter and cleaner way to weight an absolute ( from the user POV )
>value. Your choice of language, don't even have to have merit but must
>run on some existing computer we can test it on!

Forth:
: 1 1.004 ;
Scheme (or lisp):
(define 1 1.004)

This is a 5 character difference in length.  It can be reduced:
(define d define)
(d 1 1.004)
Such that the definition is the same length, but that's not the point.

The point is that, yes, this ability exists elsewhere in a clean fashion.

Steve Hawley

--
"Did you know that a cow was *{*filter*}ED* to make that jacket?"
"Yes.    I didn't think there were any witnesses, so I guess I'll have to kill

Wed, 08 Sep 1993 00:53:54 GMT

1. One and One doesn't equal two It equals 1 - The Who

2. Synchronising App from one dct in a not equal other

3. A doesn't equal B, but B=A

4. colon-equal vs equal

5. How to replace one or two words with one word with one line of awk code

6. Writing two equal files without creating two files in dct

7. Writing two equal files at once

8. Problem with two Pipes, one for STDOUT and one for STDERR

9. Blt 2.3: One Bug, One Feature, Two Solutions :)

10. Two One bug, one RFE in Tk4.0

11. How To make '(--a) equals 'a

12. See one, do one, teach one...