Forth for handheld PC?
Author Message
 Forth for handheld PC?

Is there a forth compiler which will run on a handheld PC? In
particular, on the
HP Jornada 720?

Alternatively, is there a handheld PC --- or a handheld PC OS --- which
will run
my LMI DOS 32-bit URF/Forth?

Thank you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Robert Tkoch

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:40:21 GMT
 Forth for handheld PC?

Quote:

> Is there a forth compiler which will run on a handheld PC? In
> particular, on the
> HP Jornada 720?

> Alternatively, is there a handheld PC --- or a handheld PC OS --- which
> will run
> my LMI DOS 32-bit URF/Forth?

> Thank you.

> Thank you.

> Sincerely,

> Robert Tkoch

What OS does the Jornada use? If it is a DOS or Windows
and if the Jornada has an Intel-compatible chip, then
maybe F-PC 3.6 might run. Otherwise a port should be fairly
simple. I have HS/FORTH running on my HP200LX.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor of Physics

Galileo's Commandment:

   "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
   -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:29:25 GMT
 Forth for handheld PC?
The Jornada 720 is supposed to run on something called, "Windows 2000 for
Handheld PCs," which I have been told is just a new name for Windows CE 3.0.

Another off-topic question --- what might be a good, rugged (no hard drive)
handheld PC which can run my DOS Forth and also do minimal email and
browsing?

How did you get HS/Forth to run on the HP200LX? Are these machines available?

Quote:

> > Is there a forth compiler which will run on a handheld PC? In
> > particular, on the
> > HP Jornada 720?

> > Alternatively, is there a handheld PC --- or a handheld PC OS --- which
> > will run
> > my LMI DOS 32-bit URF/Forth?

> > Thank you.

> > Thank you.

> > Sincerely,

> > Robert Tkoch

> What OS does the Jornada use? If it is a DOS or Windows
> and if the Jornada has an Intel-compatible chip, then
> maybe F-PC 3.6 might run. Otherwise a port should be fairly
> simple. I have HS/FORTH running on my HP200LX.

> --
> Julian V. Noble
> Professor of Physics

> Galileo's Commandment:

>    "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
>    -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:18:12 GMT
 Forth for handheld PC?

Quote:
> The Jornada 720 is supposed to run on something called, "Windows 2000 for
> Handheld PCs," which I have been told is just a new name for Windows CE 3.0.

> Another off-topic question --- what might be a good, rugged (no hard drive)
> handheld PC which can run my DOS Forth and also do minimal email and
> browsing?

> How did you get HS/Forth to run on the HP200LX? Are these machines available?

It is rumoured that a Psion 5 would but I will know for sure sometime
next week when I try it on one.

Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....<http://www.amleth.demon.co.uk/>
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 .........NOW AVAILABLE:- HIDECS COURSE......
Tel: +44 (0)1235-814586 .... see http://www.feabhas.com for details.

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:01:08 GMT
 Forth for handheld PC?

Quote:

> The Jornada 720 is supposed to run on something called, "Windows 2000 for
> Handheld PCs," which I have been told is just a new name for Windows CE 3.0.

> Another off-topic question --- what might be a good, rugged (no hard drive)
> handheld PC which can run my DOS Forth and also do minimal email and
> browsing?

> How did you get HS/Forth to run on the HP200LX? Are these machines available?

Just connected to my PC thru the serial port, using a standard
terminal program and downloaded HS/FORTH. The HP200LX uses an
80186 clone and the OS is DOS, so there was no trouble getting
it to run. Any DOS Forth--e.g. Pygmy or F-PC ought to run as
well. I chose HS/FORTH because

        a) I am a licensed owner thereof;

        b) it is very small (32Kb kernel).

Of course there is no math chip, so one can either do
software fp, or use the HP200LX SDK (I own it but haven't
had time to play with it) to let you use the ROM routines
for the HP12 calculator (one of the HP200 pre-programmed
apps).

HP200LX's are available on the used market, but I am not
sure why you would want one: they have only 3 MB of ram,
the unmodified system only runs at 7 MHz, and the screen
is small and BW. A Palm or Handspring PDA runs Quartus
(which is ANS, AFIK) under Palm OS, has lots more ram,
hot-links to your PC, and is much smaller. I have no doubt
that within the next year the Palm will recognize _your_
handwriting and not that lousy thing they call Graffiti.

I will probably be buying one soon and retiring the HP200LX,
even though it is really very nice.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor of Physics

Galileo's Commandment:

   "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
   -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".

Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:23:25 GMT
 Forth for handheld PC?

Quote:

> How did you get HS/Forth to run on the HP200LX? Are these

machines available?

You can get the HP200lx from www.palmtoppaper.com/

They are a little pricey.  You can find used ones cheaper.  A lot
of them are sold on Ebay but they typically go for pretty high
prices.

Thaddeus (palmtop paper people) are good to deal with and you can
be sure of what you're getting.  They also offer a lot of upraded
memory and speed options that HP never envisioned.

There is no hard drive.  You have a little onboard memory.  Or a
lot if you pay for it.  It has a PCMCIA slot so you can use flash
cards (including compact flash with the adapter) as a hard drive.
They work well together.  Battery life is typically 30 to 40 hours.
It's basically a very compatible XT with some AT features in the
bios.

Any Forth that runs on a PC should run on the 200lx.  I've played
with several of them on mine from time to time.  Never had a
problem.  I currently have Turbo C and Turbo asm on mine and I
think Pygmy Forth.  I've tried various other languages and
everything works.

The one big exception is de{*filter*}s.  Most won't work.  I use Symdeb
which works well with Turbo C and asm and can handle switches to
and from CGA graphics modes with no problem on the 200lx.

I used to have MS Flight Simulator 4.0 on it.  It worked well.  A
lot of people use programs like Word Perfect and dBase and Paradox.
Lotus 123 is built in to it's rom.

Barry

http://www.*-*-*.com/ - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:02:58 GMT

1. Palm/handheld pc etc

2. Windows Forth for handheld computer?

3. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

4. Forth for handheld --> Billies suggest

5. Forth wanted for MSDOS handheld

6. Forth on handheld computer?

7. UR/FORTH vs. PC/FORTH

8. SwiftForth or other Forth for palmtop or handheld PC?

9. TR: Handheld APL

10. Handheld APL

11. J on handheld

12. Clipper and a handheld computer