Forth's popularity, side-effect
Author Message
 Forth's popularity, side-effect

Forth is gaining ground once again, apparently. More of our colleagues are
finding more Forth work, which is a good thing.

An unfortunate side effect of everyone's busy-ness: it seems harder to
find time to write for Forth Dimensions, our community's prime vehicle of
communication among ourselves and with the interested public. It seems to
be pretty common these days that some of the people we'd most like to hear
from in print are also the ones busiest with new and interesting projects.

Please consider this a request to (a) write an article or letter to the
editor, or (b) encourage someone you know to do so. We are interested in a
wide variety of topics, as always, and we need to serve readers who range
from near beginners to gurus. (In other words, don't be afraid to tackle
tough subjects, but we also need tutorial and intermediate material.)

Remember, Forth Dimensions is a community-supported publication, not only
in terms of subscriptions but in terms of content. We really do need your
contribution to its pages in order for the magazine to function as it
should and to stay relevant in these times of Forth's growth on several
fronts.

Thank you -- and feel free to send your article ideas or completed papers

Best,
--Marlin Ouverson, Editor
--Forth Dimensions

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. local variables don't cause side effects

2. do GUI's require side effects?

3. Walt's side effect order changed by -g

4. Dialogs and side effects

5. Pattern for side effects

6. Skipping print preview side effect ArnĂ³r

7. Avoiding functions with side effects

8. INI file side effects

9. Functions without side effects (was Old confusion)

10. Wrapping a side-effecting function library

11. Side-effect free functions

12. One advantage of computing by side-effect