ans forth link broken at forth.org
Author Message
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Often when I cite 1994 Ans Forth I wish to include a link to the
paragraph in question.

What url syntax should I use?

For example, to cite the word list of informative annex F should I
say:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
?

Google tells me once upon a time I perhaps wrongly recommended the web
trail:

http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Now there I see:
404 Not Found
The requested URL /dpans/dpans.html was not found on this server.

Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre

Wed, 10 Aug 2005 23:41:32 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:

> [...]
> http://www.forth.org/dpans/dpans.html

> Now there I see:
> 404 Not Found
> The requested URL /dpans/dpans.html was not found on this server.

> [...]

Yes, I noticed this also when my link to this page
was broken. Now I'm using the link at taygeta for
the dpans document.

Krishna

Thu, 11 Aug 2005 00:09:16 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:

> Often when I cite 1994 Ans Forth I wish to include a link to the
> paragraph in question.

> What url syntax should I use?

The official site is ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/uathena.htm

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:05:41 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:

>> Often when I cite 1994 Ans Forth I wish to include a link to the
>> paragraph in question.

>> What url syntax should I use?

>The official site is ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/uathena.htm

That points to taygeta for the HTML version (and that seems to be
down at the moment).  You can also find the HTML version at
<http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/dpans-html/dpans.htm>.

You could also take the HTML version (in packaged form at
<http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/dpans.zip>), put it on your
own web server and reference that.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html

Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:56:35 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

http://forth.sourceforge.net/standard/dpans/index.html

and unofficial pages
http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/index.html
shed some light onto some ANS' dim places.

Quote:

> Often when I cite 1994 Ans Forth I wish to include a link to the
> paragraph in question.

> What url syntax should I use?

> For example, to cite the word list of informative annex F should I
> say:
> http://www.taygeta.com/forth/dpansf.htm
> ?

> Google tells me once upon a time I perhaps wrongly recommended the web
> trail:

> http://www.forth.org/
> http://www.forth.org/literature.html
> http://www.forth.org/dpans/dpans.html

> Now there I see:
> 404 Not Found
> The requested URL /dpans/dpans.html was not found on this server.

> Cluelessly, curiously, thankfully yours, Pat LaVarre

Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:06:22 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:

> >> Often when I cite 1994 Ans Forth I wish to include a link to the
> >> paragraph in question.

> >> What url syntax should I use?

> >The official site is ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/uathena.htm

> That points to taygeta for the HTML version (and that seems to be
> down at the moment).  You can also find the HTML version at
> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;.

> You could also take the HTML version (in packaged form at
> < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;), put it on your
> own web server and reference that.

> - anton
> --
> M. Anton Ertl   http://www.*-*-*.com/
> comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.*-*-*.com/

There is also a link to the HTML on my page:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ .{*filter*}ia.edu/classes/551.jvn.fall01/DPANS.HTM

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor of Physics

   "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
   -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".

Sat, 13 Aug 2005 03:47:28 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:
> ftp://ftp.uu.net/vendor/minerva/uathena.htm

This official, though not working, answer I will keep linked.

Quote:
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/standard/dpans/index.html

I now use this syntax to cite 1994 Ans Forth.

Quote:
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/index.html

I see "a number of dim places in ANS Forth. Some of them were
clarified in RFIs, some were not".

I don't remember before now finding my way to errata not captured as
RFIs.

Thanks again everyone, Pat LaVarre

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:18:30 GMT
 ans forth link broken at forth.org

Quote:

> > Date: 2003-03-01 05:18:30 PST

> > > http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/index.html

> > I see "a number of dim places in ANS Forth. Some
> > of them were clarified in RFIs, some were not"
> > ...I don't remember before now finding my way to
> > errata not captured as RFIs.

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
> Subject: Re: Opinions about ANS FORTH

> Date: 2003-01-30 05:58:53 PST ...
> As to moving on,
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/index.html
> The new items are:
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/rof/index.html
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/address-relocation/index.html
> http://forth.sourceforge.net/Standard+/null-pointer/index.html

Ah, perhaps these Ans Forth errata/rationale actually first appeared
2003-01-30.  That dating helps excuse Me failing to persuade Google to
find these errata/rationale before 2003-03-01.

Pat LaVarre

P.S.

I think these errata/rationale, like all technical specifications,
would become more perfectly helpful if they grew to include their
dates of publication.

P.P.S.

This is a passionately felt pet peeve of mine - to my eye, all web
pages Should have last-substantively-modified dates and a reply-to
email address - especially technical pages - I trust here I have
worded my peeve politely?

P.P.P.S.

I don't (yet?) know any great Forth examples here?  My favourite .java
example is that with time we see change what people say the 7 token
.java source { final static String NULL = null; } actually means.
(Some erroneous web-published errata says that source means a
ConstantValue attribute with a null value, which turns out to be a
contradiction in terms for any merely standard .class file.)

Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:35:21 GMT

1. ANS Forth in ANS Forth?

2. comp.lang.forth FAQ: ANS Forth (7 of 7)

3. Implementing ANS Forth Wordlist(s) in Forth-83

4. Forth books (was "ANS Forth")

5. ANS Forth & Compatable Forth

6. DPANS link dead on forth.org

7. comp.lang.forth FAQ: ANS Forth (7 of 7)

8. What ANS Forth misses /was: Fix Forth, please

9. Getting Forth related files (was: Forth primer/teaching Forth)

10. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language

11. Forth in Forth vs Forth in assembly

12. Forth in Forth vs. Forth in assembly language