Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]
Author Message
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.
>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)
>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.
>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
>5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

Government contractors.

Quote:
>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

It was probably a bank.

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

[...]

Quote:
>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
>5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

>And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

Specious argument.  The argument used to be made that the Bible can't
be historically accurate because it speaks extensively of the
Hittites, and no trace of the Hittite empire was to be found.  That
is, until 1876.  Now you can study the Hittite language at several
universities...

Regards,

                          -=Dave
Just my (10-010) cents
I can barely speak for myself, so I certainly can't speak for B-Tree.
Change is inevitable.  Progress is not.

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>> We often over-rate ourselves. The ancients were not stupid.

>> Solomon was no dummy. Although the science of the day, including
>> mathematics, was not advanced, the technology used to build the
>> temple, and this cast basin in particular, was astounding. The
>> Solomonic temple represents one of the greatest architectural
>> and technical works of the ancient world.

>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
>5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

>And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

VOCABULARY THEISTIC

:: RaidingTheArk
."
if you built something that was able to communicate with 'God'
and it was made of solid gold, I would be suprised if immediate
chaos turmoil greed and warfare wasn't immediately forthcoming.

Have you ever looked at the descriptions of the High-priests garments?
crystal latices, loop antenna, large charge capacitors, spark-gaps..

cool stuff..
I figure either 'god' went away, or changed the channel.
"

--
*/ unmatched closing comment

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

> Philip Lijnzaad  writes:

> > > Reminds me of a linguistics convention where a speaker was discussing
> > > the fact that in some languages (such as English) the double negative
> > > converts to positive (i.e. false false = true); whereas others use
> > > it to reinforce negativity (as in French, ne ... pas). He then claimed
> > > there was no language in which the double positive implied negativity--
> > > to which someone in the audience replied

> > > "Yeah, yeah."

> > I heard this cited as "yeah, right", which seems to be a stronger version.

> >                                                                       Philip

> In US English--admittedly not exactly the same as the Queen's English--
> "Yeah, yeah" is far more dismissive and negative in tone than "Yeah,
> right." In fact the latter is a most unlikely allocution on this side
> of the pond.

> --
> Julian V. Noble

> "Elegance is for tailors!"      -- Ludwig Boltzmann

It must be regional. In my experience, "Yeah, yeah" can often mean "We
heard all that [irrelevant stuff] before", while "Yeah, right!" always
means "In a pigs eye!" i.e., "Not on your life!"

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art       |      Let's talk about what
of making what you want      |      you need; you may see

Mon, 04 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:

>[...]
>>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

>>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

>>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

>>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1
>>Kings 5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

>>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

>>And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

>Specious argument.  The argument used to be made that the Bible can't
>be historically accurate because it speaks extensively of the
>Hittites, and no trace of the Hittite empire was to be found.  That
>is, until 1876.  Now you can study the Hittite language at several
>universities...

More relevant would be to determine the density of Au and Si, and to
evaluate, from there, whether or not the quantities seem reasonably to
reconcile.

A valid question that then comes up could be whether or not the units
of measure were translated into English with good success...
--
Found in a TOPS-10 MCO:
    Quotation for the day: "a counter that doesn't exist can't get messed up."

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:

>> > "Yeah, yeah."

> Note to non-Americans: voice tone is very important in delivering this.
>   -LenZ-

True, in which case (putting on linguistic hat here) we could argue that
the negativity is being carried by the intonation rather than the actual
words.

Cheers,  Mike.

(Pulls head in and returns to lurk-land)

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:

> > We often over-rate ourselves. The ancients were not stupid.

> > Solomon was no dummy. Although the science of the day, including
> > mathematics, was not advanced, the technology used to build the
> > temple, and this cast basin in particular, was astounding. The
> > Solomonic temple represents one of the greatest architectural
> > and technical works of the ancient world.

> Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

> It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

> About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

> For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
> 5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

> Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
> Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

> And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

Scribal errors are the{*filter*}ens, aren't they? I suspect that literate
people in that day were quasi-innumerate, much like today, and simply
had no mental feedback saying "Wait--that's ridiculous!" when they
got a crazy number.

You see this all over the ancient world, number of Persians that in-
vaded Greece exaggerated at least 10x, number of workmen constructing
the Great Pyramid exaggerated 50-100x, etc.

Our media poeple don't do a whole lot better today. Progress!

--

Jonah Thomas  writes:

> >Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

> >It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

> >About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

> >For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
> >5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

> Government contractors.

> >Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
> >Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

> It was probably a bank.

Actually, ALL the major temples were banks. When the Persians razed
the Temple of Ba'al Maarduk in Babylon and melted all the gold and
silver into ingots that they stored in Persepolis and Ecbatana, they
created a major depression.

The Temple at Jerusalem (not Solomon's, but the one Ezra built)
was the central bank of the Middle East. That's why it was full of
money changers, etc. for Jesus to chastise. Same with Temple of Ammon
in Memphis, Temple of Capitoline Jove in Rome, etc.

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:

> >> We often over-rate ourselves. The ancients were not stupid.

> >> Solomon was no dummy. Although the science of the day, including
> >> mathematics, was not advanced, the technology used to build the
> >> temple, and this cast basin in particular, was astounding. The
> >> Solomonic temple represents one of the greatest architectural
> >> and technical works of the ancient world.

> >Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

> >It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

> >About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

> >For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1 Kings
> >5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

> >Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
> >Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

> >And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

> VOCABULARY THEISTIC

> :: RaidingTheArk
> ."
> if you built something that was able to communicate with 'God'
> and it was made of solid gold, I would be suprised if immediate
> chaos turmoil greed and warfare wasn't immediately forthcoming.

> Have you ever looked at the descriptions of the High-priests garments?
> crystal latices, loop antenna, large charge capacitors, spark-gaps..

> cool stuff..
> I figure either 'god' went away, or changed the channel.
> "

Do you blame her for either action?

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:
>Jonah Thomas  writes:
>> >Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>> >Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)
>> It was probably a bank.
>Actually, ALL the major temples were banks. When the Persians razed
>the Temple of Ba'al Maarduk in Babylon and melted all the gold and
>silver into ingots that they stored in Persepolis and Ecbatana, they
>created a major depression.
>The Temple at Jerusalem (not Solomon's, but the one Ezra built)
>was the central bank of the Middle East. That's why it was full of
>money changers, etc. for Jesus to chastise. Same with Temple of Ammon
>in Memphis, Temple of Capitoline Jove in Rome, etc.

See?  So they *said* they had 9 million pounds of gold, but they
didn't keep nearly that in reserves.  People could have that much
gold deposited with them and there might not be that much gold in
the entire country.

It all makes sense once you understand they were running a bank.

Tue, 05 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day

Quote:

>[...]
>>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

>>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

>>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

>>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1
>>Kings 5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

>>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
>>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

>>And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

>Specious argument.  The argument used to be made that the Bible can't
>be historically accurate because it speaks extensively of the
>Hittites, and no trace of the Hittite empire was to be found.  That
>is, until 1876.  Now you can study the Hittite language at several
>universities...

More relevant would be to determine the density of Au and Si, and to
evaluate, from there, whether or not the quantities seem reasonably to
reconcile.

A valid question that then comes up could be whether or not the units
of measure were translated into English with good success...
--
Found in a TOPS-10 MCO:
    Quotation for the day: "a counter that doesn't exist can't get messed up."
    "Once in a blue moon" is defined as the creation of a new SFD or the
renaming of an old one.

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 PI in Solomon's day
Quote:

> >[...]
> >>Either Solomon's temple never existed or the was it exaggerated.

> >>It was 90 ft long, 30 ft wide, and 45 ft high (1 Ki 6:2)

> >>About twice the cubic footage of an average 2 story house.

> >>For a small structure It took 183,300 men 7 years to build it. (1
> >>Kings 5:13-16)(1 Kings 6:38)

> >>Into it supposedly went 9,200,000 Ibs of Gold and 92,000,000 Ibs of
> >>Silver. (1 Chron 22:14)

> >>And Archaeologists can't find it anywhere...

> >Specious argument.  The argument used to be made that the Bible can't
> >be historically accurate because it speaks extensively of the
> >Hittites, and no trace of the Hittite empire was to be found.  That
> >is, until 1876.  Now you can study the Hittite language at several
> >universities...

> More relevant would be to determine the density of Au and Si, and to

                                                            ^^
I didn't realize silicon was considered a valuable (semi) metal in
King Solomon's day. So they had transistors even then... and the gold
was doubtless for the wiring.

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Wed, 06 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 433 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29]