Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)
Author Message
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:
>On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:25:27 +0100, "Philip Preston"

>>[snip]
>>>Just my thoughts,

>>Are you sure they are yours? They look suspiciously like dogma.

> All dogma was somebody's thoughts at sometime.  Are you
>missing a ``received'' in the sentence above?

No, I'm not concerned with whether the ideas are original (few ideas are)
but whether they have been adopted on their individual merits (and are
susceptible to reasoned discussion) rather than accepted as part of a
"package deal".

Philip.
Member of FIG-UK: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

www.OnlinBible.org)
> for
> ((half | third | quarter | tenth) AND (cubit | cubits))
> indicated usage only for half cubit(s). All those were for lengths less
than 3
> cubits.

So if you rounded it off to the nearest whole number, you get a
circumference of 31 cubits in our space-time continuum. 31.5 would've been
even closer, but I'd have been happy with 31 cubits. Someone goofed
somewhere, but that's not supposed to happen in the Bible, is it?

Larry

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:

> >(snip)

> >> Show me a contradiction.

> I really don't like this type of question here, but at least we're being
> polite again.

> >My favorite is the following:

> >I Kings Ch. 7 verse 23
> >In King James translation: "And he made molten sea, ten cubits from the one
> >brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits:
> >and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

> >From which it is obvious that pi must be three.

> Or that the measurement was imprecise (a cop-out, IMO), or that the
> "molten sea" (giant basin) had a rim, and the brim-to-brim measurement
> went to the outer lip, while the compass measurement went about the waist
> (the cord was run under the rim).  Assuming the second excuse to be true,
> the width of the rim can be calculated, and IIRC it's quite reasonable.

> There are some better examples of possible contradictions.  I'd have to
> search for them, though, and I'd rather defend than attack.

> >  -LenZ-

> --
> -William "Billy" Tanksley

This one shows, at a minimum, that precise mathematics is not high
on the list of heavenly priorities :-)
   -LenZ-

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:

> What do you want when all you got to work with are whole numbers? Seesh!

thirty-one.
  -LenZ-
Quote:

> >> I Kings Ch. 7 verse 23

> >> In King James translation: "And he made molten sea, ten cubits from the
> one
> >> brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five
> cubits:
> >> and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

> >> From which it is obvious that pi must be three.

> >Errm, sorry, I'm not even a Jew or Christian, but in non-scientific
> >usage "round all about", or even "circular", does not necessarily imply
> >a circle in the strict geometric sense. There is context.

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:

> > > Don't know how successful the scheme was, though.

> >         You tend to use up a lot of soothsayers that way, which is a strong
> > argument in its favor.

> only if they are bad soothsayers (more likely to disagree with each other)...
> ;-)

> --
> As an anti-spam measure I have scrambled my email address here.
> Remove "nospam-" and ROT13 to obtain my email address in clear text.

 ... "Truth has the miraculous quality of being consistent with itself."

                                       Walter Stuart of the N.I.H.

And maybe they had a Sythian Soothsayer's Association like the American
Medical Association. Then they would have had no worry.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art       |      Let's talk about what
of making what you want      |      you need; you may see

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)
I think is plain that diameter was rounded up as
 9.7 * PI = 30.46 ; 9.5 * PI = 29.8  so all matches
Quote:

> > > (snip)

> > > My favorite is the following:

> > > I Kings Ch. 7 verse 23

> > > In King James translation: "And he made molten sea, ten cubits from the
> one
> > > brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five
> cubits:
> > > and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."

> > > From which it is obvious that pi must be three.

> > >   -LenZ-

> > I don't see a problem/contradiction. The values given were whole numbers
> and a
> > search ( using  Online Bible v7.06  c Timathserah Inc.
> www.OnlinBible.org)
> > for
> > ((half | third | quarter | tenth) AND (cubit | cubits))
> > indicated usage only for half cubit(s). All those were for lengths less
> than 3
> > cubits.

> So if you rounded it off to the nearest whole number, you get a
> circumference of 31 cubits in our space-time continuum. 31.5 would've been
> even closer, but I'd have been happy with 31 cubits. Someone goofed
> somewhere, but that's not supposed to happen in the Bible, is it?

> Larry

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:

>   to remain a good person while being Christian is a lot harder than to
>   remain a good person without religious beliefs -- there's no one you can
>   ask forgiveness or to take responsiblity for your actions, there's no
>   illusion of a greater purpose that defends acts of evil and destruction
>   (like bombing {*filter*} clinics or killing believers in other religions)
>   or to fill the void of a meaningless, wasted life, and there's no way you
>   can avoid being responsible for your own actions.  without a forgiving
>   "God", your only reference is HUMAN RIGHTS, and they cannot be forfeited
>   or reneged because some "God" told you to.

You might have missed the news, but there was recently a war where one
side bombed the other in the name of HUMAN RIGHTS. One can argue at
length about this war, but it's just that human rights are a sort of
religion, and even have their holy wars. It's not that a religion needs
a supreme being, or such like to tell you what's right and what's wrong.
Some even deliberately say that you should think yourself about that,
and if you find something worthwile, teach others about it. Turns into a
cult of dead philosophers pretty soon, though.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~paysan/

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Is LISP dying?(are Christians Good?)

Quote:

> > Dogma 1. A system of teachings of religious truth as maintained by the
> > Christian church or any portion of it.

> May I suggest an adjustment there please...

> "Dogma 1. A system of teachings of religious truth as *perceived* and ..."

They all assume that there is truth outside of mathematical logic. But
simply, there isn't. To paraphrase the bible, we ate from the apple that
let us distinguish truth and false. But as is easily visible, it's still
stuck in our throat (after all, Eva didn't eat ;-), and therefore we
just are under the illusion that we could. The only thing we can is to
divide facts in truth and false, and be sure about the outcome, although
the vast majority of questions can't be answered with a "yes" or "no".

While I don't believe in Gods or devils, I'm quite sure that this thread
is directly from hell. It gets top scores on my "Troll of the year"
list. Let this thread die!

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/

Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 433 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29]