Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]
Author Message
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>> Nah.  First offence, finger.  Second offence, hand.  Third offence,
>> head.
>> The road to civilization is not tolerating criminal behavior.

>This is the road to totalitarianism.

Yes, that likely is.

Quote:
>"Thou shalt not kill"

>It amazes me how so many christian people in the states are pro death
>penalty even though it's against one of the most basic principles of
>christian ethics.

There is a difference between the word "kill" and the word "{*filter*}."

kill -HUP is not the same as kill -KILL is not the same as kill -TERM.
--
To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]
On Fri, 13 Aug 1999 23:25:27 +0100, "Philip Preston"

Quote:

>[snip]
>>Just my thoughts,

>Are you sure they are yours? They look suspiciously like dogma.

        All dogma was somebody's thoughts at sometime.  Are you
missing a ``received'' in the sentence above?  Like whether someone's
opposition/support for blocks is ``dogmatic'' generally carries the
connotations that it is *receieved* dogma, rather than dogma developed
by the author of the statement.  AFAICT, the technical term for a
belief developed by the author, which they are willing to hold and
espouse in the face of noisy opposition in an internet forum, is IMHO.

(
----------
Virtually,

Bruce McFarling, Newcastle,

)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>Judaism is not primarily a belief system (although it has elements
>thereof grafted on) but a tribal/ethnic identification based on
>language, custom, rules and ancestry. Conversion to Judaism is
>not so much subscription to a credo as it is adoption into a tribe.

>Despite there being groups like Jews for Jesus, and despite the
>fact that the original followers (ante-Paul) of Jesus were primarily Jews,
>the core beliefs of Judaism are primarily concerned with actions and
>this world, in contrast to Christianity (modern, that is) whose core
>involves faith.

>One elegant way it has been put is that a Jewish athiest disbelieves
>in an entirely different sort of diety than an athiest of Christian or
>pagan upbringing.

        Is it also that case that a Forth atheist disbelieves in an
entirely different sort of programming paradigm than a C++ atheist?

(
----------
Virtually,

Bruce McFarling, Newcastle,

)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>> Yeesh.  This junk is SO far off topic it's sick.  Can it, okay?  This can
>> be carried out PERFECTLY well on the appropriate NGs (I wouldn't mind if
>> this topic wasn't causing such a flamewar).

>> --
>> -William "Billy" Tanksley

>Right on! The only religious topics allowed here concern our mutual one
>(i.e. the Forth).

        Or non-mutual ones, like Blocks versus files?

(
----------
Virtually,

Bruce McFarling, Newcastle,

)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

> Doesn't the bible also say "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and
> specify communinal stoning to death for such offenses as {*filter*}ery and
> violating the the sabbath? Christians abandoned stoning for burning at
> the stake.

I'm not a religious person or a theologist, but I'll try to explain. My remark was
aimed at the people that are usually quite religious in principle but still
contradict it's principles in practice. In the old testament, yes it may say so.
Christian ethics are based on the life of Jesus and the new testament. There's a
big difference in the general tone of the two testaments. The old testament reminds
me of the way things are in the near east. The book contradicts itself in so many
places that I wonder how it is even possible to interpret it literally. Judaism is
based on the old testament and christianity also includes the new testament, which
is totally different. I would say that most people consider the ten commandments
the guiding principles of christian ethics and of course the golden rule, none of
which are pro death penalty in any way. Maybe it got a bit twisted in the dark ages
?

Of course I do not oppose the death penalty or the kind of punishments suggested in
the post I replied to on the basis of christian ethics alone. I think they are
unnecessary cruelty that should be avoided. The point is that the previous post
implied that harder punishments make a community more civilized and I disagree on
the basis of my own personal ethics and beliefs. I believe that a peaceful solution
that avoids {*filter*} is always preferable to the one that uses {*filter*}.

BTW, Did you know they removed evolution from the highschool curriculum in Kansas
? definitely progress.

Timo

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

>>One elegant way it has been put is that a Jewish athiest disbelieves
>>in an entirely different sort of diety than an athiest of Christian or
>>pagan upbringing.

>    Is it also that case that a Forth atheist disbelieves in an
>entirely different sort of programming paradigm than a C++ atheist?

Does Forth have void or a false value 0 surrounded by millions
and millions of true values (all of them boiling down to the 1 true
faith)?

Stig Erik Sandoe    Institute of Informatics, University of Bergen

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:

> > Another example of how Chrisitanity has twisted things around: the
> > Christians consider assassination to be evil; they prefer to kill
> > thousands of patriotic young men and innocent civilians on both sides
[...]
> Shall we appoint you to decide who ought to be assassinated? If not you,
> then who?

Well, obviously, the people who today have the power to declare war.

The point is: Declaring war shouldn't be an easy act, but once war is
declared, assassination should be considered a valid strategy.

Stig Hemmer,
Jack of a Few Trades.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Death penalty for LISP ? [ was: Re: Is LISP dying? ]

Quote:
> > Don't know how successful the scheme was, though.

>         You tend to use up a lot of soothsayers that way, which is a strong
> argument in its favor.

only if they are bad soothsayers (more likely to disagree with each other)...
;-)

--
As an anti-spam measure I have scrambled my email address here.
Remove "nospam-" and ROT13 to obtain my email address in clear text.

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 433 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29]