Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
Author Message
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

Greetings to all Forthers.

A few weeks ago I posted asking people about do-it-yourself
publishing.  Thanks to everyone for their helpful comments,
the volume was so high that I could not reply to everyone.

The book is now ready for people to get via anonymous FTP and
in a moment I will tell you how to get a copy.  But first I would
like to explain why it is available the way it is and answer
some of the questions that people put to me after my last posting.

The main aim of the book is to be used and a large part of the
target audience does not have access to FTP.  So the book is to
be available via FTP AND on disk AND Glen Haydon has agreed to
make it available in printed form at low cost.  In time I hope
other printed sources will become available, especially outside
the USA. (If you have access to small volume printing and would
like a licence to distribute the book at a price slightly over
cost please contact me).  However, the main way this book will
get around will be because it is shareware, anyone can GIVE
copies away, on disk or in hard copy.  (Yes, I will accept
donations to my sanity restoration fund but that is not a
requirement).  So why not provide it as just ascii?  To make
the book readable it uses different fonts for text and examples,
diagrams etc.  In plain ascii it would lose a lot.  Machine
readable 'books', in hypertext or whatever, of this size I
don't believe are really practical, even on a 486 scrolling
around once diagrams are included is slow enough to be a pain.
Anyway I don't have the time to convert it from its current form
into anything like that.  So it is distributed as a file ready
to send to a Laserjet 2 (or higher or equivalent) which means
that a vast number of printers around the world can generate
real copies.  The aim is to get it as widely distributed as
possible.

Oh yes, why FPC?  In my earlier posting I pointed out that FPC is
public domain so a shareware book that accompanies it will
provide a low cost a package as possible.  Important if Forth
is to be widely used in developing countries.  When all the
world is rich and everyone has UNIX boxes (or whatever) it will
be different but for now lets get Forth out to as many people
as possible.  So sorry those people who like minimal Forths.

OK, enough blather from me.  How do you get a copy?

It is available by anonymous FTP from brain.physics.swin.oz.au
(136.186.27.10) in directory /pub/forth.
It is a zipped file (PKZIP1) so that tools to unzip it are
easily available but it is big, it unzips to over 3 megs.
There is a readme file to tell you how to print it. It also has
a copy of the contents (just the same as I posted here a few
weeks ago) so you can decide if you want it before you haul
600K+ bytes down.

Grab it, print it, copy it, spread it around.  Enjoy it.
Oh yes, and compliments of the season.

Tim Hendtlass,
  Physics Department, Swinburne University of Technology,
  P.O.Box 218 Hawthorn 3122 Australia.

fax   (61) 3 819 0856.
voice (61) 3 819 8863.
"I use Forth because it makes more productive".

Fri, 31 May 1996 14:39:20 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
    I don't have internet access,
so I can't ftp the book, but I would like to make it available on my
BBS here in California.  Could someone either upload it or let me
know when it is available on a BBS here in the 48?

via Fortress Gateway at uumind.mind.ORG

Sun, 02 Jun 1996 21:03:00 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
Happy to have Forth book via ftp.

2 questions:
1) You said that it is a shareware but didn't say how much ?  Do you
   mean its a freeware rather than shareware ?
2) I love PCL.  But I also want to just view it through the display
   instead of print it on paper.  Because it can save paper.  Consider its
   a 250pages book, not every page is useful for every reader.
   Especially some of them worth to read once only (say the copyright
   message).  And it seems we cannot print only part of the PCL file.  As
   far as I know, there is dvi, ps previewer but no PCL previewer (correct
   me if I were wrong), can you supply the book in TeX or ps format ?  But
   I guess the book was not prepared with TeX.

Thanks

Mr.WONG Sai Kee
Graduate Student

Tue, 04 Jun 1996 16:46:40 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

Quote:
>Happy to have Forth book via ftp.
>2 questions:
>1) You said that it is a shareware but didn't say how much ?  Do you
>   mean its a freeware rather than shareware ?
>2) I love PCL.  But I also want to just view it through the display
>   instead of print it on paper.  Because it can save paper.  Consider its
>   a 250pages book, not every page is useful for every reader.
>   Especially some of them worth to read once only (say the copyright
>   message).  And it seems we cannot print only part of the PCL file.  As
>   far as I know, there is dvi, ps previewer but no PCL previewer (correct
>   me if I were wrong), can you supply the book in TeX or ps format ?  But
>   I guess the book was not prepared with TeX.
>Thanks
>Mr.WONG Sai Kee
>Graduate Student

I too would really appreciate it if a postscript version of your book was
made available.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PCL compatible
printer.
--

Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario

Wed, 05 Jun 1996 12:05:22 GMT

aduate Assistant)) writes:

[...]

: --

: Carleton University
: Ottawa, Ontario
: K1S 5B6
I think if it were posted in PostScript you could read it on the
screen with GhostScript viewer.

Wed, 05 Jun 1996 21:35:31 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

Quote:

>>Happy to have Forth book via ftp.

>>2 questions:
>>1) You said that it is a shareware but didn't say how much ?  Do you
>>   mean its a freeware rather than shareware ?

I think Tim wanted to make it available to everyone. If you like it send the
dude some money.

Quote:
>>2) I love PCL.  But I also want to just view it through the display
>>   instead of print it on paper.  Because it can save paper.  Consider its
>>   a 250pages book, not every page is useful for every reader.
>>   Especially some of them worth to read once only (say the copyright
>>   message).  And it seems we cannot print only part of the PCL file.  As
>>   far as I know, there is dvi, ps previewer but no PCL previewer (correct
>>   me if I were wrong), can you supply the book in TeX or ps format ?  But
>>   I guess the book was not prepared with TeX.

>>Thanks

>>Mr.WONG Sai Kee
>>Graduate Student

>I too would really appreciate it if a postscript version of your book was
>made available.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PCL compatible
>printer.
>--

>Carleton University
>Ottawa, Ontario
>K1S 5B6

If you do not have a PCL compatible printer, Tim will sell you a hard-copy at
a vary reasonable price. As far as reading the pages you want. You dont go
into a book store and rip out the pages you want.

I would like to thank Tim Hendtlass for the book and HLINT.SEQ. I also would
like to thank him for making it available. I hope if you like any of the book
or HLINK you would send him some money.

Nathan Stratton

Wed, 05 Jun 1996 22:35:46 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

|     I don't have internet access,
| so I can't ftp the book, but I would like to make it available on my
| BBS here in California.  Could someone either upload it or let me
| know when it is available on a BBS here in the 48?

If you have at least email access, there is a email-to-ftp gateway.
Read the FAQ for more info.

--

Disclaimer: All oppinions are mine.

Wed, 05 Jun 1996 21:17:23 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
<< .ps requests deleted >>
I would prefer .ps, too !
Quote:

> If you do not have a PCL compatible printer, Tim will sell you a hard-copy at
> a vary reasonable price. As far as reading the pages you want. You dont go
> into a book store and rip out the pages you want.

> I would like to thank Tim Hendtlass for the book and HLINT.SEQ. I also would
> like to thank him for making it available. I hope if you like any of the book
> or HLINK you would send him some money.

> Nathan Stratton

I don't think, this is the problem with all these .ps requests. All these
answers show, that there IS a big interest in this book, but You certainly
agree with me, that Postscript printers and previewers are more common than PCL
ones. I would really like to have a look at this book, but it has to be in
Postscript for me.

Regards
---
Robert       (HB9NBY)

---
Robert Ganter                   /------------\
Universitaet Basel              | I am a fan |
Institut fuer Informatik        | of my plan |
Mittlere Strasse 142            \------------/
4056 Basel/Switzerland
Phone:  ++41 (0)61 321 99 67
Fax:    ++41 (0)61 321 99 15

Fri, 07 Jun 1996 19:37:36 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
I joined this thread a little late, a little too late to see the first
couple of messages. In reading the followup messages, no one wanted to
say a thing about where the book could be found.

Can someone please post again where the book is located!

Thanks.
--
                                        Gerard.

Cabletron Systems, Inc.                 +1 603 337 1577

Fri, 07 Jun 1996 20:54:15 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
Excerpts from netnews.comp.lang.forth: 20-Dec-93 Re: Forth Book

Quote:
> I joined this thread a little late, a little too late to see the first
> couple of messages. In reading the followup messages, no one wanted to
> say a thing about where the book could be found.
> Can someone please post again where the book is located!
> Thanks.

Not a problem.  The text of the original message follows:
----
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

Subject: Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)
Date: 13 Dec 1993 06:39:20 GMT

Greetings to all Forthers.

[...]

Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:21:08 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

Quote:

>> Happy to have Forth book via ftp.
>> I love PCL.  But I also want to just view it through the display
>>   instead of print it on paper.  Because it can save paper.  Consider its
>>   a 250pages book, not every page is useful for every reader.
>>   Especially some of them worth to read once only (say the copyright
>>   message).  And it seems we cannot print only part of the PCL file.  As
>>   far as I know, there is dvi, ps previewer but no PCL previewer (correct
>>   me if I were wrong), can you supply the book in TeX or ps format ?  But
>>   I guess the book was not prepared with TeX.
> I too would really appreciate it if a postscript version of your book was
> made available.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PCL compatible
> printer.

Thirded.  I'd never even *heard* of PCL till this came along.  Whatever it
is (some low-level printer driver language competing with PostScript, I
guess?) surely there must be translators that can turn it into something
more mainstream like PostScript, RTF, DVI, X bitmaps, GIFs, ...?  If so,
where do you find them?

--
-- Jack Campin -- Room 1.36, Department of Computing & Electrical Engineering,
   Mountbatten Building, Heriot-Watt University, Riccarton, Edinburgh EH14 4AS

Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:48:07 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

| Thirded.  I'd never even *heard* of PCL till this came along.  Whatever it
| is (some low-level printer driver language competing with PostScript, I
| guess?) surely there must be translators that can turn it into something
| more mainstream like PostScript, RTF, DVI, X bitmaps, GIFs, ...?  If so,
| where do you find them?

PCL stands for Printer Control Language. This is the language, that HP
builds in their laser printers. If your laser printer is an HP, and if
the PS interpreter comes on a cartridge, and if you have phisical
access to the room with the printer, you can power down the printer,
unplug the crtridge and power it up. Now you have a PCL printer and
you can just funnel the file to the printer interface. Then you can
convert your printer to PS bak by plugging the cartridge again.

If you are in a dos/windoze setup, this is easy. In unix one should
read 'man lp'.

I wasn't too helpful, was I :-(

--

Disclaimer: All oppinions are mine.

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 00:50:23 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

]]
]
]I think Tim wanted to make it available to everyone. If you like it send the
]dude some money.

I might consider that, if I could actually read the thing. If someone
converts it to postscript, and I can print it out, I might send a
couple of $$$ his way.

Somehow, it seems to be rather contradictory to say "he wants to make
it available to everyone", while simultaneously arguing that it
shouldn't be made available as postscript. The problem is, PCL is a
propriety language available only (as far as I know) on Hewlett
Packard printers. (And, even for some of us with HP printers, we can't
use it. Our department has a shared printer, and if I tried to switch
it from postscript to PCL, (1) the print drivers would crash, and (2)
the other users of the printer would kill me.)

]]I too would really appreciate it if a postscript version of your book was
]]made available.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a PCL compatible
]]printer.
]If you do not have a PCL compatible printer, Tim will sell you a hard-copy at
]a vary reasonable price. As far as reading the pages you want. You dont go
]into a book store and rip out the pages you want.

Yea, but... well, I hate to break this to you, but bookstores don't
give you their books for free, either.

Personally, I don't have access to a PCL printer. And even if I did,
I'd *still* want to have the thing in postscript. It's very convenient
to have a reference manual on-line. I fail to see what this has to do
with "ripping out the pages you want".

        <MC>
--
[ Mark Craig Carroll <MC> ] You say you know no tricks, have no talents -
[ U of Delaware, CIS Dept ] Isn't everyone supposed to have their own?

Tue, 11 Jun 1996 01:58:12 GMT
:
: If you are in a dos/windoze setup, this is easy. In unix one should
: read 'man lp'.
:
: I wasn't too helpful, was I :-(
:
: --

:
: Disclaimer: All oppinions are mine.

   I live in an HP/UX environment and ftp'd a copy. I found that I had
   to use 'lp -oraw fname' to get it to work. Even then the printer
   would stop occasionally. Reading the LaserJet manual indicated to use
   'Continue' to keep it going. It was apparently asking me to change
   paper size. I haven't had time to go through the copy completely yet,
   but have found a few glitches that coule be local network problems,
   etc. Who can really know in this complicated environment. It seems
   that my copy is 99% good. I'm totally impressed at the quality of
   Tim's work and his generosity in posting this to the Forth world. He
   deserves a tremendous thanks from the community for a tremendous
   contribution to the longevity of Forth.

   P.S. I was printing on a LaserJet IIIP (a network printer). Since the
   file is binary, the oraw option is necessary.

--

3M Company                                        Phone: (805)388-4170
Digital Storage Products Division                 FAX:   (805)388-4804

Tue, 11 Jun 1996 03:38:34 GMT
 Forth Book available via FTP(correct this time!)

Quote:

>Thirded.  I'd never even *heard* of PCL till this came along.  Whatever it
>is (some low-level printer driver language competing with PostScript, I
>guess?) surely there must be translators that can turn it into something
>more mainstream like PostScript, RTF, DVI, X bitmaps, GIFs, ...?  If so,
>where do you find them?

        I located a printer to handle this file, but have not had a chance to
print it yet.  One of the guys I checked with must have asked about a
conversion program on some news group because I got mail from him regarding
this topic.  It follows:

email #1.

Subject: 3.4 How can I convert HP Laserjet language (PCL) to PostScript?

    Use lj2ps for simple PCL. Alternatively, another lj2ps, from
    psroff3.0, is a little more complete.

    hp2pbm can convert all of PCL4 (up to and including rasters,
    downloaded fonts and macros) into PostScript, G3 and any other
    PBM-supposed format.

Unfortunately we don't have either of these installed presently.

email #2.

    hp2pbm
      can convert all of PCL4 (up to and including rasters, downloaded
      fonts and macros). It's somewhat slow because it converts PCL
      into Poskanzer's Portable Bitmap format rasters (PBM) before
      generating PostScript, but it's theoretically pixel-for-pixel
      identical with the original PCL. Plus it's capable of driving
      many other types of graphics devices or printers.

              What: Converts-PCL-to-PBM, Converts-PCL-to-PostScript,
              Interpreter, Non-PostScript-Printer-Driver. Status: free.
              Platforms: UNIX. Get-From: comp.sources.misc, soon to be
              a part of Psroff3.0.

        I will probably look into hp2pbm some time soon.  If someone beats me
to it, a report would be appreciated.

Regards,
Tony

Sat, 15 Jun 1996 00:34:18 GMT

1. Forth book available via FTP

2. A POP-11 Book Available via FTP

3. A POP-11 Book Available via FTP

4. FORTH primer available via ftp

5. VWNC 5i.2 available via FTP?

6. M4th available via ftp

7. Files available via FTP from FIDOnet

8. New beta-test Release of CAML available via anonymous ftp

9. skip-list in Dylan available via FTP

10. ICI available via FTP

11. NO-COST MS-DOS version of M (MUMPS) available via anonymous FTP

12. new GC survey available via ftp