-----via Canada Remote Systems  (416)629-7000

Date: 07-12-93 (08:13)
  To: ALL
 From: JOHN NANGREAVES
 Subj: 8051 FORTH BY B. PAYNE...

This is a plea for assistance regarding Bill Paynes "Embedded Controller
 FORTH for the 8051 Family".

I am working on a crisis-deadline 8051 project and have some relatively
 simple but important questions regarding this subject (some hard, some
 soft and some firm). My application is quite simple.

If anybody has a few moments and has successfully done anything based on
 this book I'd like to talk about 'getting up and running'.

I am an experienced electronics technologist but a novice FORTH
 programmer (actually I have no idea what a metacompiler is!).

           H     H EEEEEEE L       PPPPP    !
           H     H E       L       P    P   !
           H     H E       L       P     P  !
           HHHHHHH EEEE    L       PPPPPP   !
           H     H E       L       P        !
           H     H E       L       P        !
           H     H EEEEEEE LLLLLLL P        !

NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 ---
 * GrapeVine Ferret Face/Little Rock - 501/753-8121 SuperRegional Hub
 * PostLink(tm) v1.07  GRAPEVINE (#318) : RelayNet(tm)

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Wed, 03 Jan 1996 20:06:50 GMT
 Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031
Category 7,  Topic 28
Message 76        Sat Jul 17, 1993
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 07:37 EDT

John:  I have no personal experience with the Payne 8051 software, but if your
questions are fairly "generic" I'll be glad to offer what help I can.

If your 8051 project is working to a "crisis deadline," perhaps you don't want
to spend the time fiddling with your tools.  For my first embedded Forth
project (ca. 1982), I wasted about two months getting my tools to work.  For
my most recent project (last year), I bought a commercial Forth cross-compiler
and was coding in a day or two.  When time is of the essence, I *definitely*
recommend the latter course.

(FYI, I use the MicroProcessor Engineering cross-compiler, and yes, they make
one for the 8051.  This is the easiest Forth metacompiler I've ever used.
U.S. dealer is AMICS Enterprises at 716-461-9187, Canadian dealer is Universal
Cross-Assemblers at 506-847-0681.)

 So many projects....so little time.

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Wed, 03 Jan 1996 20:06:52 GMT
 Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031
Category 7,  Topic 28
Message 77        Mon Jul 19, 1993
E.RATHER                     at 21:26 EDT

I agree with what Brad said about using the best tools you can find if time is
short.  It's pennywise & pount-foolish to try to save a few bucks at the cost
of many hours of frenzy caused by poor documentation and tech support.

In all honesty, I do have venal motives:  we sell a cross-development product
for the 8051 family as well, which includes a board and extensive
documentation, and we back it up with telephone hotline service so we're
always here to answer your questions. If you're interested, call 1-800-
55FORTH.

But, like Brad, I'll also be happy to answer any general questions you have.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).

Sat, 06 Jan 1996 18:39:43 GMT

1. Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031

2. Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031

3. Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031