Date of Easter According to Knuth
Author Message
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Date of Easter according to Knuth is at
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~neilbawd/easter.html> and
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~neilbawd/easter.txt> .  Save
the .txt as Plain Text.

--

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:50:04 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:
> Date of Easter according to Knuth is at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.html> and
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.txt> .  Save
> the .txt as Plain Text.

Thank you !
Your sources are very interesting.

It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
in a very *simple* way.

It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.

I would not mind at all when new entrys were posted in this
group after a starting period.

I think it would benefit Forth.

Jos

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:11:12 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:
> It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
> be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
> in a very *simple* way.
> It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
> are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.

Nice, but I think it is impossible. Sooner or later the maintainer
gets bored and the site is orphaned or commercialized.

My proposal would be that sites with sources also offer a
page with links to other sources. I'll start. Send me a
link to _your_ page of sources (only sources: so that everybody
stays happy *absolutely no advertizing of any kind*) and I'll
put it up on a fresh iForth page and set the link of that page
in return. (I reserve the right to not add the link.)

Let's call it the Forth Source Link Page.

-marcel

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:44:46 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

> > It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
> > be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
> > in a very *simple* way.

> > It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
> > are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.

> Nice, but I think it is impossible. Sooner or later the maintainer
> gets bored and the site is orphaned or commercialized.

Not if he had a program which does this for him.
( I do not have such program )

Quote:
> My proposal would be that sites with sources also offer a
> page with links to other sources. I'll start. Send me a
> link to _your_ page of sources (only sources: so that everybody
> stays happy *absolutely no advertizing of any kind*) and I'll
> put it up on a fresh iForth page and set the link of that page
> in return. (I reserve the right to not add the link.)

> Let's call it the Forth Source Link Page.

Perhaps you are right.

My direct link is: http://home.planet.nl/~josv/msources.html
Anyone  is free to use it.
I hope to see your link ( and others ?! ) too.

Thanks,

Jos

Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:45:56 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

> Date of Easter according to Knuth is at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.html> and
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.txt> .  Save
> the .txt as Plain Text.

> --

From Wil's text:

Easter is supposedly the first Sunday following the first full moon that
occurs on or after March 21.

The way the Hebrew (Babylonian) calendar relates, Passover is simply the
first full moon that occurs on or after March 21. When that is Sunday,
Easter is a week later.

Jerry

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 01:17:04 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

>> Date of Easter according to Knuth is at
>> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.html> and
>> <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.txt> .  Save
>> the .txt as Plain Text.

>Thank you !
>Your sources are very interesting.

>It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
>be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
>in a very *simple* way.

>It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
>are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.

>I would not mind at all when new entrys were posted in this
>group after a starting period.

>I think it would benefit Forth.

Even though FIG has fallen on hard times, Skip Carter has been keeping the
Forth source and program library going at  www.taygeta.com . What's needed
is Forthers to upload meaningful source code for sharing.

I'm a bit envious of other languages that have the advantage of a strong
academic presence to feed their libraries and provide continuity.

Walter Rottenkolber

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:22:28 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

> Even though FIG has fallen on hard times, Skip Carter has been keeping the
> Forth source and program library going at  www.taygeta.com .

The FSL-site is very nice indeed.

Quote:
>What's needed is Forthers to upload meaningful source code for sharing.

Here are a few problems.
- My sources are not finished and they do not fit in the FSL.
- I would like to control updates and additional text myself.

Quote:
> I'm a bit envious of other languages that have the advantage of a strong
> academic presence to feed their libraries and provide continuity.

You will hit nothing, when you do not shoot.

Jos

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 03:13:56 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

> > Date of Easter according to Knuth is at
> > <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.html> and
> > <http://home.earthlink.net/~neilbawd/easter.txt> .  Save
> > the .txt as Plain Text.

> > --

> From Wil's text:

> Easter is supposedly the first Sunday following the first full moon that
> occurs on or after March 21.

> The way the Hebrew (Babylonian) calendar relates, Passover is simply the
> first full moon that occurs on or after March 21. When that is Sunday,
> Easter is a week later.

    And periodically, they're a full month apart.

--

-GJC

-Abolish Public Schools.

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:21:38 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:
>> My proposal would be that sites with sources also offer a
>> page with links to other sources. I'll start. Send me a
>> link to _your_ page of sources (only sources: so that everybody
>> stays happy *absolutely no advertizing of any kind*) and I'll
>> put it up on a fresh iForth page and set the link of that page
>> in return. (I reserve the right to not add the link.)

>> Let's call it the Forth Source Link Page.

[..]

Quote:
> My direct link is: http://home.planet.nl/~josv/msources.html
> Anyone  is free to use it.
> I hope to see your link ( and others ?! ) too.

Up: http://www.iae.nl/users/mhx/programs.html

-marcel

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:08:23 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

>> It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
>> be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
>> in a very *simple* way.

>> It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
>> are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.

>Nice, but I think it is impossible. Sooner or later the maintainer
>gets bored and the site is orphaned or commercialized.

There seems to be an alternative.
I have added ciforth aiforth chforth information to the
Wiki pages. So this site is maintained by the suppliers of
information.
Of course the Wiki pages are on free pages (as in free beer
not in freedom), paid for in adverti{*filter*}ts.
If the person officially responsible does nothing, this
site can go on indefinitely. At the mercy of the people
who earn money by adverti{*filter*}ts. But being this as it
is, no adverti{*filter*}ts are in sight if you consult the
Forth pages.

I like it.

Now the dreadful truth. If that site really becomes a
success, the traffic will rise above 15 Gbyte/day
(or whatever, I checked it with them). The non-maintainer
who is responsible gets a bill of $15 /month (or in case
of real success $2000).

The end is :
The site closes down overnight.

The only good solutions are a non-profit organisation or
a really reliable sponsor. Non profit organisations could
be a large computer club (Dutch HCC), the Free Software
Foundation, universities. Really reliable sponsors:
I thought DEC could be one, now they are dead.
Microsoft? (No that isn't serious.)
A sponsor that could benefit from hosting such pages could
be a supplier of software compilations, like Simtel.
Simtel has some stuff that is nearly 20 years old.
I have OCR-ed the (1978) fig-forth manual and given it
to them. I have some trust it will be available till
the next world war. (Which is not necessarily very long...)

Quote:
>My proposal would be that sites with sources also offer a
>page with links to other sources. I'll start. Send me a
>link to _your_ page of sources (only sources: so that everybody
>stays happy *absolutely no advertizing of any kind*) and I'll
>put it up on a fresh iForth page and set the link of that page
>in return. (I reserve the right to not add the link.)

This could be attractive too, but it is related to one of my pet
issues. If one is serious about a web page, one is not allowed to take
it away unless after a 5 year period where the page is replaced with
information where the web page has gone.
I should make it an RFC actually. ("reliability commitments for
web pages")
Information on the web should *never* go away.

So I like this idea, but it needs more precise agreements.

Quote:

>Let's call it the Forth Source Link Page.

A strange name for a convention that involves in the future
hundreds of pages, and where users may not be aware that
we did some conscious efforts to lead him through with links
called <A HREF=.. > similar programs </A> ,
<A HREF=.. > calculate number of primes by other means  </A>,
<A HREF=.. > other AI efforts in Forth </A>.
<A HREF=.. > original unadorned test from John Hopkins university </A>.

Quote:
>-marcel

Daag,
Albert
To suffer is the prerogative of the strong. The weak -- perish.

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:37:54 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

>>> It would be nice if had ONE site were visitors would
>>> be able to search for Forth-applications and sources
>>> in a very *simple* way.
>>> It should be open so programmers ( professional or not )
>>> are able to add new Forth-material with links to their site.
>> Nice, but I think it is impossible. Sooner or later the maintainer
>> gets bored and the site is orphaned or commercialized.
> There seems to be an alternative.
> I have added ciforth aiforth chforth information to the
> Wiki pages. So this site is maintained by the suppliers of
> information.

Yes, in principle. I also added Iforth to this Wiki. (I couldn't
add iForth because this very flexible software is somehow
prescribing the correct case of a sentence )-: My conclusion
from periodically visiting these pages is that they're as dead
as a doornail. The concept isn't appealing to its intended
audience. The Quartus Forth Wiki works better, but only because
it has a few enthusiastic maintainers.

[ too much traffic ... ]

Quote:
> The end is :
> The site closes down overnight.

Well, with Forth we don't have to worry too much over more
than 15 GByte traffic per day :-)

But anyway, the idea of my proposal ...

Quote:
>> My proposal would be that sites with sources also offer a
>> page with links to other sources. I'll start. Send me a
>> link to _your_ page of sources (only sources: so that everybody
>> stays happy *absolutely no advertizing of any kind*) and I'll
>> put it up on a fresh iForth page and set the link of that page
>> in return. (I reserve the right to not add the link.)

... is redundancy. Eventually every active Forth site could have
a page with links to source code on both active or non-active sites.
If one of the sites drops away the others are still there. It doesn't
depend on a master maintainer or tricky programs (and therefore also
doesn't have the benefit of uniformity). For my own pages, I can have
a link in or out of the air in less than two minutes.

In principle the Forth webring could do this too, but I find a lot of
noise there already. And secondly, each time I visit it my mailbox is
bombarded with spam for at least three weeks.

Quote:
> This could be attractive too, but it is related to one of my pet
> issues. If one is serious about a web page, one is not allowed to take
> it away unless after a 5 year period where the page is replaced with
> information where the web page has gone.

Theoretically maybe, but not practical. Anyway, the redundancy would
take care of it being findable. If somebody wants to physically remove
the *content* we enter a different discussion.

I think the Forth content on *paper* runs a much bigger and more acute
risk of becoming inaccessible.

[..]

Quote:
>> Let's call it the Forth Source Link Page.
> A strange name for a convention that involves in the future
> hundreds of pages, and where users may not be aware that
> we did some conscious efforts to lead him through with links
> called <A HREF=.. > similar programs </A> ,

I do not understand the problem. What would your name suggestion be?

-marcel

PS: The following links are currently up. Most of them have been
gathered by Jos Ven. They're only one-way and some of them have a
little extraneous stuff on them, but it's a start.

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~josv/msources.html Win32Forth programs by Jos v.d. Ven
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~neilbawd/  Neil Bawd's Ugly Home Page
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~hello/01234th.htm  The Forth Programming site of Leo Wong
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;The Scientific Forth Library Project
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;Len's Forth Page
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;Repository at Institut fr Computersprachen
http://www.*-*-*.com/ .{*filter*}ia.edu/classes/551.jvn.fall01/programs.htm  Julian V. Noble's page
http://www.*-*-*.com/  Mike's site - Exploring the lighter side of Forth

Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:58:30 GMT
 Date of Easter According to Knuth

Quote:

> There seems to be an alternative.
> I have added ciforth aiforth chforth information to the
> Wiki pages. So this site is maintained by the suppliers of
> information.

Nice ! What is the direct link ?

Quote:
> So I like this idea, but it needs more precise agreements.

> that involves in the future hundreds of pages

The web-pages I selected did not contain any Forth-system.
Only extensions on existing systems were to be considered as cool.
Note: On my page with links I added also 2 tutorials.
They are:

http://www.albany.net/~hello/simple.htm rudiments of a programming language.
http://www.sunterr.demon.co.uk/TutFile2/header2.htm A guide to Win32Forth

I am still looking for an advanced online large Forth-independed tutorial.
Where can I find it ?

Jos

Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:04:35 GMT

1. Knuth's Easter Algorithm

2. Knuth's Easter Algorithm

3. -re-how calculate easter date

4. how calculate easter date

5. easter dates

6. VIPDays calculates the Easter date

7. how calculate easter date

8. how calculate easter date

9. Gospel according to Tux.

10. remove double line according to a criteria

11. Preference placement according to target?

12. According to IBM, it's SmallTalk.