Pocket Forth for WinCE2?
Author Message
 Pocket Forth for WinCE2?

Does anyone know if this is available yet? I have tried and failed to reach
www.davidn.com. I would like to try Forth on the HP620lx and any information
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA - DOC

Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Forth for WinCE2?

Does anyone know if this is available yet? I have tried and failed to reach
www.davidn.com. I would like to try Forth on the HP620lx and any information
would be greatly appreciated.

TIA - DOC

Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Forth for WinCE2?

Quote:
"DOC"  writes:
> Does anyone know if this is available yet? I have tried and failed to reach
> www.davidn.com. I would like to try Forth on the HP620lx and any information
> would be greatly appreciated.

> TIA - DOC

My guess is that any Forth will have to be rewritten for this machine--I
don't think the chip uses Intel-compatible machine code. Of course,
maybe I'm wrong: I have been, once or twice in living memory :-)

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Wed, 02 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Pocket Forth for WinCE2?

Quote:

>My guess is that any Forth will have to be rewritten for this machine--I
>don't think the chip uses Intel-compatible machine code. Of course,
>maybe I'm wrong: I have been, once or twice in living memory :-)

No, it doesn't.  The things use WinCE bytecodes (Gee, shadows of Java,
if you ask me!) and have numerous differing CPUs with the guarantee
that apps will run on any of them.  Current count of CPUs that have
WinCE 1 or 2 running on them are: Hitachi's RISC core, MIPS,
StrongARM, and AMD's Elan(embedded 486 CPU core running at up to
100MHz).  I suspect that something like gforth would be doable because
you can use MSVC++ for CE to make it.  Otherwise, you've got a LOT of
fun ahead of you trying to make the thing out of their bytecodes.

--
Frank C. Earl
Earl Consulting Services

Sat, 05 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forth and Pocket Forth in France ?

2. Forth for Pocket PC

3. ANN: Randolph Peters' Pocket Forth Utilities

4. Anyone here using Pocket Forth?

5. Pocket Forth/QForth question

6. Pocket Forth users!!

7. Object Oriented Extensions to Pocket Forth (repost)

8. Object Orienting Pocket Forth

9. A Pocket Forth question...

10. Color & Pocket Forth

11. data structures/sample code/pocket forth

12. Pocket Forth bug fix