Novice Questions
Author Message
 Novice Questions

: Hi,
:     I am relatively new to Forth Programming, and was wondering if anyone out
: there could :
: 1)  Recommend a good book to help me learn FORTH

"Starting Forth" by Leo Brodie is a popular one, as is "Forth: A Text
and Reference" by Mahlon Kelly and ??? Spies.  A friend of mine is
learning Forth from a book by Michael Ham, "Programming for the Utter
Beginner," and he has some high praise for it (this book is shipped to
people who register [$60 U.S.] a shareware version of an LMI Forth
for the PC, downloadable as FIRST4TH.ZIP from LMI's BBS, 310-306-3530,
or from the PROGRAMMING RT on GEnie; I believe it is also on Compu$erve).

An excellent second book on Forth is Leo Brodie's "Thinking Forth",
which the Forth Interest Group has just put back into print.  Contact
FIG at 510-893-6784 for more information, and for other available books.

: and
: 2)  Tell me if there are any Shareware Windows versions of FORTH?

Jack Woehr has a Forth for Windows NT called Jax4th which you may want
to check out.  You can download this from the RCFB BBS (sorry, I don't
have the number, but someone is likely to follow up with it...).  The
other Windows Forths I have heard of are commercial offerings ranging
in price from $100 to $1200 U.S.

Welcome to Forth...

Cheers,

Sr. Software Engineer         ICOM, Inc.               414-321-8000
*[Any opinions expressed are mine, not necessarily those of ICOM.]*

Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:35:59 GMT
 Novice Questions

Quote:

> : Hi,
> :     I am relatively new to Forth Programming, and was wondering if anyone out
> : there could :
> : 1)  Recommend a good book to help me learn FORTH

> "Starting Forth" by Leo Brodie is a popular one, as is "Forth: A Text
> and Reference" by Mahlon Kelly and ??? Spies.

FAT&R is our first recommendation for a Forth textbook, and STARTING
FORTH is our second, although MMS carries these and many other good Forth
books.  The second author's name is Nicholas Spies; Nick pronounces his
last name 'Spees'.  Note that MMS offers FAT&R, normally $30.95 in
paperback, for $18.95, or in hardcover for $24.95 (plus S/H, and tax for
some).  A complete list of our Forth books and (PC-compatible) MMSFORTH
system and many extension modules is available via E-mail, on request.

Quote:
> An excellent second book on Forth is Leo Brodie's "Thinking Forth",
> which the Forth Interest Group has just put back into print.

Not quite.  It has not gone to the printer, but may be available around
April.  I concur with Dave Ruske that it's an excellent second Forth
book -- to improve your programming strategy rather than as a textbook.
MMS looks forward to its re-issue, and hopes to offer it for less than
$20 because it deserves the extra distribution which that will assure.

--Dick Miller

A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |

Voice: 508/653-6136, 9am-9pm -0500(EST)| Natick, MA 01760-2099, USA    |
MMSFORTH: The cure for the common code.| 42 18'00.79" N, 71 22'27.68" W|

Sun, 28 Jul 1996 21:46:45 GMT
 Novice Questions
Hi,
    I am relatively new to Forth Programming, and was wondering if anyone out
there could :

1)  Recommend a good book to help me learn FORTH

and

2)  Tell me if there are any Shareware Windows versions of FORTH?

Thanx

Paul

Sat, 27 Jul 1996 16:40:54 GMT

1. Novice question

2. Super novice question..

3. Novice Question - Array Elements

4. Novice question - child window in VW5i.2

5. Yet another novice question

6. novice question: shallow and deep copies

7. Novice questions: Smalltalk 3.0 for DOS

8. novice question: subtyping String class?

9. Novices Questions

10. Loop for Items in .S (Novice question)

11. Haskell novice question - deriving from Show

12. Novice question