GEnie - international access
Author Message
 GEnie - international access

Quote:
Elliott Chapin writes:
> GEnie is available via PDN in the following countries:

>               Austrialia          New Zealand
>               Belgium             Norway

It's in Australia too   :-)

>                                               Non-Prime    Prime
> The rates for PDN usage are: 300/1200/2400    $3.00        $5.00

errr... only up to 2400?

Quote:
> There is no signup fee.  GEnie rates are in addition to your local
> PDN access rates and fees.

Elliott, I really appreciate the effort you've put in, and I'm
sure everyone else does too.  But (and I find this a bit hard to
say in the circumstances) I do have a problem with GEnie.

I've found that the local PDN rates in Australia are prohibitive
for individuals (which would be the vast majority of Forthers).
GEnie in Australia seem to be only interested in big corporations
(tho I wonder how seriously they'd be taken if they only go up to
2400).  Basically I think they've lost the plot badly.

In short, IMHO, we should be supporting comp.lang.forth as much
as possible as the main discussion center for Forthers.  I doubt ANY
commercial provider will be able to stack up in the next few years,
while just about everyone, wherever they are, will be able to get
internet access quite cheaply.  It seems to me that the internet
is in the process of rapidly swamping the commercial providers.

But what do others think?

--  Mike.

Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 GEnie - international access
I understand the shortcomings of GEnie. What I posted was a copy of info I found there.

Fri, 09 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. GEnie - international access

2. GEnie overseas Access??

3. GEnie Information SuperHighway