forth on Psion 3a 
Author Message
 forth on Psion 3a

Quote:

> Hi does any body have details of forth on a Psion.

ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/psion/icdoc/development/forth129.zip

--
Peter Knaggs



Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a

Quote:

> How easy might it be to port an ANS Forth system to the Psion? [The
> Psion 3a has an NEC V380H, 8086 clone... so a port of a DOS ANS Forth
> might be possible...?]

Gforth-EC reportedly said "OK" on a plain 8086, so it should be not too
hard to port it to a Psion. Gforth-EC barely needs anything to run on,
so a system with OS is comfortable.

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"
http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~paysan/



Fri, 04 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a



Quote:

>> Hi does any body have details of forth on a Psion.

>ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/psion/icdoc/development/forth129.zip

Does anyone know of any further developments of this, or any other
Psion-based Forth?

How easy might it be to port an ANS Forth system to the Psion? [The
Psion 3a has an NEC V380H, 8086 clone... so a port of a DOS ANS Forth
might be possible...?]

I'm interested in adding words to access Psion's OS, and other system
modules (including PsiStack, the freeware TCP/IP stack I'm developing)
to a Forth system..

Regards,
        Matt Gumbley
        http://www.gumbley.demon.co.uk

Matt Gumbley        | Email:  | Nothing is Irrelevant.

Rm 106, Comp. Sci.  | keele . |             Everything is Transformed.
Dept., Keele Univ.  | ac . uk |  [These are my views, not necessarily
+44 (0)1782 583438  |         |    those of .cs.keele.ac.uk -- MJG]



Fri, 04 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a



Quote:
>Err, I thought a typical, though perhaps somewhat spartan, Forth would
>think 256kB was lots and lots of memory? Some of the the stuff stuff I've
>seen run Forths I thought was relatively OK couldn't address that much
>memory...

Yes, and the Series 3 uses separate 64KB code / 64KB data segment, so
that's the limit...

Quote:
>What I really wondered about is whether there is any Forth for the Psion 5
>series. IIRC, a Forth has been done for the CPU? (ARM 7100)

The development tools for the Series 5 are based around gcc, so GForth
seems a possibility...

Matt Gumbley        | Email:  | Nothing is Irrelevant.

Rm 106, Comp. Sci.  | keele . |             Everything is Transformed.
Dept., Keele Univ.  | ac . uk |  [These are my views, not necessarily
+44 (0)1782 583438  |         |    those of .cs.keele.ac.uk -- MJG]



Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a

Quote:



> > Hi does any body have details of forth on a Psion.

> ftp://sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk/packages/psion/icdoc/development/forth129.zip

> Does anyone know of any further developments of this, or any other
> Psion-based Forth?

I have not heard of any further developments to Forth129.  I do know
someone at MPE did a Psion 3 Forth, AFAIK it is not available.

Quote:
> How easy might it be to port an ANS Forth system to the Psion? [The
> Psion 3a has an NEC V380H, 8086 clone... so a port of a DOS ANS Forth
> might be possible...?]

It should not be too difficult to port GForth/eForth or some such to the
V380.  The only problem is size, remember the old 3/3a's where only
256/512K animals.

--
Peter Knaggs



Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a

Quote:



> I have not heard of any further developments to Forth129.  I do know
> someone at MPE did a Psion 3 Forth, AFAIK it is not available.

> > How easy might it be to port an ANS Forth system to the Psion? [The
> > Psion 3a has an NEC V380H, 8086 clone... so a port of a DOS ANS Forth
> > might be possible...?]

> It should not be too difficult to port GForth/eForth or some such to the
> V380.  The only problem is size, remember the old 3/3a's where only
> 256/512K animals.

Err, I thought a typical, though perhaps somewhat spartan, Forth would
think 256kB was lots and lots of memory? Some of the the stuff stuff I've
seen run Forths I thought was relatively OK couldn't address that much
memory...

What I really wondered about is whether there is any Forth for the Psion 5
series. IIRC, a Forth has been done for the CPU? (ARM 7100)

Steinar Knutsen, stud.scient., SP3, PSA



Sun, 06 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a


Quote:


> > > How easy might it be to port an ANS Forth system to the Psion? [The
> > > Psion 3a has an NEC V380H, 8086 clone... so a port of a DOS ANS Forth
> > > might be possible...?]

> > It should not be too difficult to port GForth/eForth or some such to the
> > V380.  The only problem is size, remember the old 3/3a's where only
> > 256/512K animals.

> Err, I thought a typical, though perhaps somewhat spartan, Forth would
> think 256kB was lots and lots of memory? Some of the the stuff stuff I've
> seen run Forths I thought was relatively OK couldn't address that much
> memory...

A full-blown Gforth under Linux-Intel takes 36696 bytes for the engine
and 83019 bytes for the image, so you still have 128k left if you want
to keep it in 256k.

However, a 16-bit Gforth (the most straightforward way on the 8086)
can address only 64k, so it would have to be stripped down (the image
would probably fit in 64k on a 16-bit Gforth, but would leave little
working space). It's probably not a big problem to keep the code for
the engine in a separate segment. Maybe we could even put the stacks
in separate segments.

The main problem is that the EC part of Gforth is hardly documented
yet.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl                    Some things have to be seen to be believed

http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html



Mon, 07 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a

Quote:

>         I would really like to see a "small memory" model Gforth, since
> that same model would be perfect for the original memory model of Minix,
> which relies on up to 64K compiled codespace, and up to 64K of data/stack
> space (I reckon that the larger model would be straightforward, since
> Minix gcc for the Minix386 seems to be available, and it uses a large
> memory model).  It seems that something similar would also be useful for
> ELKS.

Currently, all 16 bit Gforth-ECs use a "tiny" model, thus 64 K for code
and data altogether.

Quote:
>         How big is the Gforth-EC for the 6502?  I'll be getting back to
> work on an ANS forth for ACE on the Commodore 64, but a small enough
> Gforth-EC for the 6502 might work for well with the C64.  If it is happy
> with little or no OS support, the C64 is well suited to providing
> little or no OS support!

I don't know how large Gforth-EC for 6502 is at the moment, but for the
MISC it was around 18k. For the 6502 it's romable, and I'll bet that you
can fit it in the 24k ROMs of the C64. You can add a message to cold:

unused . ." bytes free"

printed right below the copyright notice in light blue (perhaps it will
be around 37k ;-).

--
Bernd Paysan
"Late answers are wrong answers!"
http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~paysan/



Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 forth on Psion 3a

[Quoth I]:

Quote:
> >         How big is the Gforth-EC for the 6502?  I'll be getting back to
> > work on an ANS forth for ACE on the Commodore 64, but a small enough
> > Gforth-EC for the 6502 might work for well with the C64.  If it is happy
> > with little or no OS support, the C64 is well suited to providing
> > little or no OS support!

> I don't know how large Gforth-EC for 6502 is at the moment, but for the
> MISC it was around 18k. For the 6502 it's romable, and I'll bet that you
> can fit it in the 24k ROMs of the C64. You can add a message to cold:

> unused . ." bytes free"

> printed right below the copyright notice in light blue (perhaps it will
> be around 37k ;-).

        There are only 16K ROMs for the 6502 (that is, aside from the
character set in ROM for the display chip). But a forth rewrite of the
Commodore Kernal would let some of the 8K Kernal ROM be used for forth,
and an external cartridge can provide 16K without any complications.

        Preferably, the 8K code put into the Basic ROM socket could be
swapped in an out, so it could say "50K bytes free".

Virtually,

Bruce R. McFarling, Newcastle, NSW



Sun, 13 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Forth and the Psion 3a

2. Forth on Psion series 3a anyone?

3. Psion Serie 3a - Germany - Mail-order

4. Scheme for Psion Series 3a or Series 5?

5. ADA compiler or interpreter to PSION SERIES 3 or 3a

6. ADA compiler or interpreter to PSION SERIES 3 or 3a

7. Lisp implementation for Psion 3a?

8. Forth for Psion Series 5

9. Forth on psion ?

10. Psion FORTH

11. Psion 5 Forth ?

12. ANS Forth for Psion

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software