F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor
Author Message
 F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor

------=_NextPart_000_01BC9D2C.C40EFE10

Hi,

I was thinking of developing code using F-PC and running it on the Harris
RTX2010 Micro Processor.  The code will be used to control motors.

Will it work?
Are there any pitfalls?
Is there a better choice?
Any Gotcha's?
How does F-PC compare with the FORTH supplied by MP Electronics in England?

Bob

------=_NextPart_000_01BC9D2C.C40EFE10

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Hi,<br><br>I was thinking of developing =
code using F-PC and running it on the Harris RTX2010 Micro Processor. =
&nbsp;The code will be used to control motors.<br><br>Will it =
Gotcha's?<br>How does F-PC compare with the FORTH supplied by MP =
------=_NextPart_000_01BC9D2C.C40EFE10--

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor

Quote:

> I was thinking of developing code using F-PC and running it on the Harris
> RTX2010 Micro Processor.  The code will be used to control motors.

> Will it work?

Probably not; F-PC produces code for an IBM PC (80x86).  A
cross-compiler, TCOM, is distributed with F-PC, but I don't think the
RTX2010 is one of the supported target processors.

Quote:
> Is there a better choice?

Any commerical Forth.  I think Forth Inc. and MPE support the '2010.

Quote:
> How does F-PC compare with the FORTH supplied by MP Electronics in England?

Do you mean MicroProcessor Engineering?  F-PC probably has comparable
documentation (if you buy the optional manuals), but TCOM documentation
is minimal.  F-PC is also totally unsupported -- you're on your own --
while MPE and Forth Inc offer customer support lines.  (MPE does not
offer support via email, which is one gripe I have.)

--
Brad Rodriguez    T-Recursive Technology : Computers on the Small Scale

Contributing Editor, The Computer Journal... http://www.psyber.com/~tcj
Secretary, Forth Interest Group.......... http://www.forth.org/fig.html

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor

As long as a customer has a bought a 'full product' i.e. not a development
product then a customer is entitled to full technical support from MPE by
fax OR email for as long as the product is supported, that is, until it has
been superseded by a later version. Standard tech support does not cost any
extra. Hope this clarifies things.

Matt.
--
Matt Purvis
MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd.

Quote:
>Do you mean MicroProcessor Engineering?  F-PC probably has comparable
>documentation (if you buy the optional manuals), but TCOM documentation
>is minimal.  F-PC is also totally unsupported -- you're on your own --
>while MPE and Forth Inc offer customer support lines.  (MPE does not
>offer support via email, which is one gripe I have.)

>--
>Brad Rodriguez    T-Recursive Technology : Computers on the Small Scale

>Contributing Editor, The Computer Journal... http://www.psyber.com/~tcj
>Secretary, Forth Interest Group.......... http://www.forth.org/fig.html

Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor

Quote:

> > I was thinking of developing code using F-PC and running it on the
Harris
> > RTX2010 Micro Processor.  The code will be used to control motors.
> Do you mean MicroProcessor Engineering?  F-PC probably has comparable
> documentation (if you buy the optional manuals), but TCOM documentation
> is minimal.  F-PC is also totally unsupported -- you're on your own --
> while MPE and Forth Inc offer customer support lines.  (MPE does not
> offer support via email, which is one gripe I have.)

MPE does support the RTX family, 2000, 2001, and 2010.

By the way, we do offer tech support by email to

--

MicroProcessor Engineering - More Real, Less Time
tel: +44 1703 631441, fax: +44 1703 339691

Fri, 04 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 F-PC vs the Harris RTX2010 micro-processor

Tim Hentlass' book on FPC is excellent and available as shareware in
postscript format.

The Doc  for TCOM is bad. But unless you need to reduce the files to
absolute minimum size it is not necessary.

I am using FPC for a stepper/servo motion control package.

FPC produces EXEs on the order of 150 to 250K.  Not too bad in todays
PC environment.

Of course if you need absolute minimum size a commercial FORTH would
probably be better.

If  simple porting is a requirement again a FORTH that supports both
environments would be better.

Help for FPC is available here on the net.  I have used it for a few
applications including simulating a serial protocol for chemical plant
instrumentation. I like it.

Simon

>> > I was thinking of developing code using F-PC and running it on the
>Harris
>> > RTX2010 Micro Processor.  The code will be used to control motors.
>> Do you mean MicroProcessor Engineering?  F-PC probably has comparable
>> documentation (if you buy the optional manuals), but TCOM documentation
>> is minimal.  F-PC is also totally unsupported -- you're on your own --
>> while MPE and Forth Inc offer customer support lines.  (MPE does not
>> offer support via email, which is one gripe I have.)
>MPE does support the RTX family, 2000, 2001, and 2010.

>By the way, we do offer tech support by email to

>--

>MicroProcessor Engineering - More Real, Less Time
>133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England
>tel: +44 1703 631441, fax: +44 1703 339691
>web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk

Mon, 06 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Development boards for Harris RTX2010 Forth Chip

2. Forth on the Harris RTX2000 or RTX2010

3. Forth on the Harris RTX2000 or RTX2010?

4. WANG VS Conversion to Micro Focus on PC

5. The Harris hardware forth processor

6. Pc Boot Direct:Boot Apps on PC Processor

7. Difference between FS and Clipper pre-processor?

8. FS Micro Focus CICS Option for COBOL Workbench

9. FS Micro Focus COBOL Manuals V3.2 Complete Set

10. FS Micro Focus Cobol WorkBench

11. FS: Micro Focus COBOL Workbench v3.2.2

12. Public Domain Micro Processor Project