PD-Forth?
Author Message
 PD-Forth?

I want to learn Forth and would like to make the first steps on a
MS-DOS machine. Does anybody know, where I can get a Public-Domain
Forth via FTP?

Thank you for your assistance.

Mon, 23 Oct 1995 21:02:38 GMT
 PD-Forth?

Quote:

> I want to learn Forth and would like to make the first steps on a
> MS-DOS machine. Does anybody know, where I can get a Public-Domain
> Forth via FTP?

> Thank you for your assistance.

Getting Forth files via FTP:

  There is an FTP site in Portugal devoted to Forth, which contains a
  mirror of the FIG library on GEnie, plus whatever anyone has donated.
  The archive is run by Paulo A. D. Ferreira who has donated the resources
  for it.  The archive machine name/address is:

            asterix.inescn.pt 192.35.246.17

  and the files are in the directory:

            pub/forth

This has been an echo of a FAQ on this news group.  --jvn

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 02:22:36 GMT
 PD-Forth?

Quote:

>  There is an FTP site in Portugal devoted to Forth, which contains a
>  mirror of the FIG library on GEnie, plus whatever anyone has donated.
>  The archive is run by Paulo A. D. Ferreira who has donated the
resources
>  for it.  The archive machine name/address is:

>            asterix.inescn.pt 192.35.246.17

>  and the files are in the directory:

>            pub/forth

>This has been an echo of a FAQ on this news group.  --jvn

FTP from this site is hopelessly slow (down to 10 bytes/sec!), at least
from here in Australia. There is a time limit for being logged on for
FTP, so you're lucky to get a file downloaded before being timed out.

I've emailed Paulo and he says there is an internet problem at the site,
which they are working on.

Does anyone know of other relevant FTP sites in the meanwhile?

Paul Walker

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:26:37 GMT
 PD-Forth?

Quote:

>  There is an FTP site in Portugal devoted to Forth, which contains a
>  mirror of the FIG library on GEnie, plus whatever anyone has donated.
>  The archive is run by Paulo A. D. Ferreira who has donated the
resources
>  for it.  The archive machine name/address is:

>            asterix.inescn.pt 192.35.246.17

>  and the files are in the directory:

>            pub/forth

>This has been an echo of a FAQ on this news group.  --jvn

FTP from this site is hopelessly slow (down to 10 bytes/sec!), at least
from here in Australia. There is a time limit for being logged on for
FTP, so you're lucky to get a file downloaded before being timed out.

I've emailed Paulo and he says there is an internet problem at the site,
which they are working on.

Does anyone know of other relevant FTP sites in the meanwhile?

Paul Walker

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:28:18 GMT
 PD-Forth?

+>            asterix.inescn.pt 192.35.246.17
+Does anyone know of other relevant FTP sites in the meanwhile?

asterix is the only FTP site that I am aware of that has a
comprehensive and up to date set of Forth files.  Last I looked (and it
_has_ been a while), SIMTEL20, wuarchive, et al. were very out of date,
and didn't have much.  Yerk, Mops, etc. are the only Forth files at their
sites, that I know of.

If anyone has the resources (time, disk space, server access, net
access) to set up another FTP site, please let me know!  I would even be
willing to maintain the archive remotely.

Thanks,
        -Doug

Tue, 24 Oct 1995 23:03:21 GMT
 PD-Forth?

   There are PD Forth files in the archives of programs for MS-DOS
computers. Check places like wuarchive. Some of the more popular
beginners Forth systems for the PC Clone are Pygmy, F83, and F-PC.

--

Fri, 27 Oct 1995 19:46:17 GMT

1. 8051 PD Forth ?

2. Q: PD Forth implementation

3. Is there a PD FORTH for the Atari 8-bit

4. PD Forth for LSI-11/03?

5. Any PD forth for CP/M-86 ?

6. Any alternate to PD-Forth ?

7. How to make money from PD Forth

8. repost: looking for a small PD-Forth for the 8086

9. looking for a small PD-Forth for the 8086

10. Want 80960 PD Forth

11. Neep pointer to ftp site for PD forth

12. 8032/8052 PD Forth