Internet <--> Genie Email
Author Message
 Internet <--> Genie Email

Apparently it is finally possible to send Email between Internet
and Genie finally.  It would seem that this could be quite helpful
to Forthnet since most of us have access to one or the other.
But I haven't seen mention of it on Forthnet yet.  Can a Genie
user elaborate?

As I understand it, from Internet one sends mail to

Apparently the Genie user must subscribe to the additional
fee gateway service.  Does mail to Genie users without the
additional subscription  really get discarded without notice
to either the sender or the intended receiver as my test
seemed to indicate?  BTW how much additional does it cost?

--

Tue, 13 Jun 1995 05:11:37 GMT
 Internet <--> Genie Email

Quote:
>As I understand it, from Internet one sends mail to

>Apparently the Genie user must subscribe to the additional
>fee gateway service.  Does mail to Genie users without the
>additional subscription  really get discarded without notice
>to either the sender or the intended receiver as my test
>seemed to indicate?  BTW how much additional does it cost?

All of the tests I have tried have produced a bounce message when the message
cannot be delivered on GEnie.  A _cryptic_ bounce message, but better than
nothing.  (The GEnie member is not notified of the attempt.)

There have been some occasional problems with routing to or from GEnie's
Internet forwarder, and GEnie's internal e-mail system has a 35 character
address limit which applies to Internet mail as well.  (This is being worked
on, but no estimate of when this will be changed has been announced.)

The cost structure for GEnie members in the USA is as follows:
     A one-time $2 signup fee.
     Each message sent or received is 30 cents per 5K of characters, including
     headers, or fraction thereof.  (ie, a 1K message costs 30 cents, an 8K
     message costs 60 cents, etc.)

The Internet Gateway is also available to GEnie members in Canada, but
the fees are different and are in Canadian dollars. ($3.00 and 40 cents)

According to GEnie administration, the Internet Gateway is still in 'open
beta test', and the cost structure given above is subject to revision.
---
Mike Nolan

Sat, 17 Jun 1995 04:51:56 GMT

1. Internet <--> Genie update

2. ><><><><>Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp on INT 14!><><><><><>

3. <<<<<YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT >>>>>>>>>> 2103

4. <><><> FLOODFILL <><><>

5. Forth files on GEnie -> Internet

6. >>>HELP, DECOMPILER<<<

7. <<<XXX Password>>>