New FORTH for the embedded PowerPC
Author Message
 New FORTH for the embedded PowerPC

Hello All...

        I have posted a small version of FORTH for the PowerPC at
www.cicdphx.com/~44.  It is currently running on a PowerPC 403, although
porting it to a different flavor of PowerPC should be child's play (only
the char in and out routines/ram address need to be changed).  I wrote
it with the idea in mind of using it as a ROM monitor as well as a
programming language and so it accepts S-records directly, as well as
dumping memory, jumping to locations, etc.  It is fully ROMable and will
keep most of itself in ROM, only using a much RAM as necessary to allow
for new words to be defined.  The binary is about 8.7K.  I have also
made the assembler I used on it available, as well as the documentation
on-line.

        To get it:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~44
        ftp://ftp.cicdphx.com/pub/44

--
Larry Battraw

[remove the forth to send email]

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 New FORTH for the embedded PowerPC

Quote:
Larry Battraw  writes:
> Hello All...

>    I have posted a small version of FORTH for the PowerPC at
> www.cicdphx.com/~44.  It is currently running on a PowerPC 403, although
> porting it to a different flavor of PowerPC should be child's play (only
> the char in and out routines/ram address need to be changed).  I wrote
> it with the idea in mind of using it as a ROM monitor as well as a
> programming language and so it accepts S-records directly, as well as
> dumping memory, jumping to locations, etc.  It is fully ROMable and will
> keep most of itself in ROM, only using a much RAM as necessary to allow
> for new words to be defined.  The binary is about 8.7K.  I have also
> made the assembler I used on it available, as well as the documentation
> on-line.

>    To get it:

>    http://www.cicdphx.com/~44
>    ftp://ftp.cicdphx.com/pub/44

> --
> Larry Battraw

Doesn't the PowerPC already _have_ a Forth in ROM? I have never
tried the machine, but I thought it was Open Firmware compatible,
i.e. possessed of an F-code interpreter.

--
Julian V. Noble

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 New FORTH for the embedded PowerPC

Quote:

> Doesn't the PowerPC already _have_ a Forth in ROM? I have never
> tried the machine, but I thought it was Open Firmware compatible,
> i.e. possessed of an F-code interpreter.

> --
> Julian V. Noble

  You are confusing the PowerPC and the PowerMAC, the PowerPC is the family of
chips that the PowerMac's are based on the specific chip that this Forth has
been written for is the IBM 4xx series which is an embedded processor used in
settop boxes, routers etc... it lacks the full feature set of the 6xx series
which is used in Mac's and other workstations, but has memory cotrollers, DMA
and a serial port to make it a stand alone chip i.e. no support chip set like
in the desktop machines.  They are related but there are also a number of
differences.

Mon, 28 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How big is Forth for PowerPC?

2. Forth for PowerPC

3. Forth PowerPC Assembler available ?

4. Forth for PowerPC exists?

5. How's Forth on PowerPC?

6. Will there be any Forth on PowerPC?

7. Forth Employment Opportunities in PowerPC Developer

8. 30 new pages of embedded products + UK Embedded Show

9. New version of 44 for PowerPC (v.2a)

10. New Forth book name FORTH: ....

11. Forth on-line resources (New Forth BBs in British Columbia)