TCOM, THE LITTLE GIANT
Author Message
 TCOM, THE LITTLE GIANT

 Date: 01-02-90 (19:52)              Number: 2746 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: ZAFAR ESSAK                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: TCOM, THE LITTLE GIANT        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I have played with Tom Zimmer's TCOM for a couple of days now and I
 have some comments and questions.  This compiler is a new variance of
 Forth environments and almost requires that source be written in that
 dialect, which is close to F-PC for those already familiar with it.

 The resulting .COM files are certainly small and quite fast in
 performance.  However, the small program files are a disguise covering
 the amount of RAM consumed.  I found a small target .COM of less than
 7k was actually consuming a whopping 72k of RAM.  I could use some help
 here.  Tom's documentation is a little thin in this regard and mentions
 that you can use the /NOINIT switch but must then do your own
 initialization.  Exactly how and where?  When the application is
 running?  or when compiling the target?  There is a word "ADJ_MEMORY"
 in the LIBRARY.SEQ file that expects a paragraph count and then adds an
 extra 64k for "data space" before calling the SETBLOCK function.  When
 I tried reducing this default to even 32k and creating a new TCOM the
 resulting application crashes with memory allocation problems.  Is it
 possible that there are other places where RAM is being consumed that
 must be taken into consideration.  Is there a simple way to use the
 minimum RAM?  Does anyone have any ideas?
 ---
  * Via Qwikmail 2.01

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated program.

Wed, 24 Jun 1992 04:44:15 GMT

1. TCOM SLAYS GIANT

2. Z-world Little Giant drivers

3. TCOM: Using tcom to create a Hyperlink in Excel

4. TCOM: how to access Excell worksheets with tcom

5. 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

6. One more "Giant Canvas" question

7. giant index files

8. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

9. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

10. Scientists Stunned as Writer Evolves into Giant Fern 462

11. The 3-d sky: Giants!

12. join vs format for giant strings?