homonyms in new ANSI {T.E. OMOHéMù}
Author Message
 homonyms in new ANSI {T.E. OMOHéMù}

Dear friends:

{in braces there's a txt in Russian}

There are homonyms {???} in the new ANSI standard!
From the human viewpoint some language elements have several meanings!
(From the computer viewpoint the language elements are Forth words, i.e.
strings, their internal structure is never analysed. From human (that
reads, not searches for the strings) viewpoint the language elements
are also such [scraps of {???}] words as CHAR , CELL , TIB  ,etc.)

For example, the language element CELL means the cell size.
But the language element  CHAR means both the cell size and fetching
a char from the input stream.

The definition

0 CELL+ CONSTANT CELL

is evident, but we can not define

0 CHAR+ CONSTANT CHAR

, because CHAR alone {D??? CHAR} means fetching char code from the input
stream!
Probably, the solution would be to rename CHAR to CHR (do you see, _which_
one I mean?) (( CHRS doesn't sound well)).

Another example is the [human] word SEARCH which means both dictionary search
and the string search.

Probably, we should avoid use of some names and leave them for application
programmers. And we should not overload the [scarps of] human words!

Would anybody consider this as a fault and give a negative vote to TC ?

M.L.Gassanenko from his friend's node.

---

-- 35, 12 line, apt.37, St.Petersburg 199178 Russia. +7(812)213-1374

Fri, 24 May 1996 23:24:16 GMT

1. New release for TE-ini (for ACL4W 3.0 and 3.0.1)

2. New releases and address for TE-ini and Define-System

3. New releases for TE-ini and Define-System

4. Homonyms crashing ISE Eiffel bench

5. New Dolphin Goodie - ANSI substrings

6. Proposed ANSI Standard new Messages?

7. OEM to ANSI / ANSI to OEM function

8. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

9. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

10. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

11. Ansi-74 and Ansi-85

12. New Fortran ANSI standard