To the xCFB's / ForthNet / comp.lang.forth / BITNET / ...
Author Message
 To the xCFB's / ForthNet / comp.lang.forth / BITNET / ...

Category 14,  Topic 6
Message 78        Sun Feb 17, 1991
GARY-S                       at 09:14 EST

 Broadcast request to posters of messages to Usenet comp.lang.forth,
 BitNet FIGL, GEnie Forth RoundTable, RIME Forth conferences...

 PLEASE try to set a maximum line length boundary of 77 characters in
 your messages. These postings are ported across diverse networks, and
 greater line lengths wrap (unless I take the time to edit for length)
 wrap, making your messages virtually unreadable. There is a much, much
 larger audience to these exchanges than you might suspect. It would
 be greatly appreciated if you could all try to observe this request.

   Thank you, Gary
     __         _  Gary Smith           * ... uunet!ddi1!lrark!glsrk!gars  *
    / _' _   _ (_' P. O. Drawer 7680    * GEnie Forth RT  &  Unix RT SysOp *
   /__/ (_|_/ '._) Little Rock,AR 72217 *   voice phone  :  501-227-7817   *
   ---------------        - U. S. A. -  *   group 3 fax  :  501-228-9374   *
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).

Fri, 06 Aug 1993 10:00:45 GMT
 To the xCFB's / ForthNet / comp.lang.forth / BITNET / ...

Quote:
>Category 14,  Topic 6
>Message 78        Sun Feb 17, 1991
>GARY-S                       at 09:14 EST

> PLEASE try to set a maximum line length boundary of 77 characters in
> your messages. These postings are ported across diverse networks, and
> greater line lengths wrap (unless I take the time to edit for length)
> wrap, making your messages virtually unreadable. There is a much, much
> larger audience to these exchanges than you might suspect. It would
> be greatly appreciated if you could all try to observe this request.

   Ordinarily, I would support setting some kind of standards in posts
to ForthNet, except in this case, which is so silly.  Amongst the
long-haul networks, such as Internet and BITNET, a record length of 80
characters is normal, and even longer line lengths are common.  Trying
to get people to stick to some odd number like 77 just won't work.
I've seen similar things tried on other newsgroups, e.g.
standardizing subject headings, and they all failed pretty dismally.
   Having once used GEnie, I'm have a feeling this oddball request is
to accomodate that dinosaur, in which case I really won't bother to
comply.  If it is to accomodate some PC program, then change the PC
program.  The mailers on the long-haul networks can't be changed, and
thousands of hours of use for other purposes makes it almost
impossible to make exceptions for ForthNet.
   Set the line length limit to a rational 80 characters and we'll
talk.

-- ST Systems Corp.                   SPAN:      NSSDCA::BROTZMAN

-- National Space Science Data Center "Prayer: the last refuge of a scoundrel"
-- "My thoughts are my own"                                 Lisa Simpson, 1990

Sat, 07 Aug 1993 03:00:52 GMT

1. archives for comp.lang.forth and comp.lang.forth.mac

2. From the xCFB's / ForthNet

3. From the xCFB's / ForthNet

4. From the xCFB's / ForthNet

5. From the xCFB's / ForthNet