Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux
Author Message
 Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux

Hi,
    I'm looking for a free RPM module that provides a forth development
environment on Red Hat Linux v5.1.  Please post a URL if you know of
one.

Thanks in advance,
    Joe Dusio

Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux

Quote:

> Hi,
>     I'm looking for a free RPM module that provides a forth development
> environment on Red Hat Linux v5.1.  Please post a URL if you know of
> one.

Just curious: Why exactly archived as an RPM, why not tar.gz or just zip,
or whatever?

If you're not too fussy about the archive type:
gforth (.tar.gz, http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html ),
FLK (tar.gz, http://www.rz.tu-ilmenau.de/~ai108) and
bigForth (tar.bz2, http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/)
are my favourites (not nessesarily, but probably in that order).

Probably the Red Hat guys have repacked gforth, I don't know, take a look
at their site,
www.redhat.com or something.

--
Lars Krueger

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux
Lars,
        RPM is superior to tar.gz and zip for at least 2 reasons.

        1) Technically: RPMs know what absolute directory to install
                        themselves into.  Almost all tar archives
                        uninstall relative to the cwd.

           Technically: I believe that RPMs pass programmatic control
                        to scripts within the RPM that configure the
                        newly installed files/system.

           Technically: The entire system can be uninstalled with a
                        single command, which facilitates the trial
                        of new packages without the possibility of
                        residual files after the uninstall

        2) Marketing:   Intel, Netscape and many others are giving
                        RED HAT their approval and support.  RPM
                        is Redhat's Package Manager.  As a threat
                        to Microsloth more and more people are trying
                        Linux.  Since Red Hat is billed as the easiest
                        Linux to install and maintain, a great many
                        people start there and stay there.

I've been a UNIX developer for over a decade.  I can use any install
scheme, but I prefer to specify an RPM when I introduce new packages
such as languages to UNIX newbie associates.  Good question.

Best Regards,
Joe

Quote:

> > Hi,
> >     I'm looking for a free RPM module that provides a forth development
> > environment on Red Hat Linux v5.1.  Please post a URL if you know of
> > one.

> Just curious: Why exactly archived as an RPM, why not tar.gz or just zip,
> or whatever?

> If you're not too fussy about the archive type:
> gforth (.tar.gz, http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html ),
> FLK (tar.gz, http://www.rz.tu-ilmenau.de/~ai108) and
> bigForth (tar.bz2, http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/)
> are my favourites (not nessesarily, but probably in that order).

> Probably the Red Hat guys have repacked gforth, I don't know, take a look
> at their site,
> www.redhat.com or something.

> --
> Lars Krueger

Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux

Quote:
> Lars,
>    RPM is superior to tar.gz and zip for at least 2 reasons.

There is an RPM for Gforth from SuSe.  I don't know if it works on
RedHat.

Quote:
>    1) Technically: RPMs know what absolute directory to install
>                         themselves into.  Almost all tar archives
>                         uninstall relative to the cwd.

Gforth's tar archives unpack into one directory relative to the cwd,
and install into an absolute path.

Quote:
>            Technically: I believe that RPMs pass programmatic control
>                         to scripts within the RPM that configure the
>                         newly installed files/system.

Gforth's configure and install scripts are certainly more versatile,
as they are not limited to a Linux distribution.

Quote:
>            Technically: The entire system can be uninstalled with a
>                         single command, which facilitates the trial
>                         of new packages without the possibility of
>                         residual files after the uninstall

Gforth's "make uninstall" removes the installed files with a single
command. There are a few residual directories and symlinks, because
Gforth supports several concurrently installed versions (usually not
possible with RPMs, right?), which facilitates the trial of new
versions.

Most of these advantages are shared by programs following the GNU
coding standards.

But if you think RPMs are better, how about doing one for the next
Gforth distribution?

- anton

Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Forth RPM for Red Hat Linux
Thanks to Lars Krueger and M. Anton Ertl for your responses to my
question.  Your help should be enough to find an RPM.  I now consider
this message thread to be complete.

Thanks again,
       Joe Dusio

Quote:

> Hi,
>     I'm looking for a free RPM module that provides a forth development
> environment on Red Hat Linux v5.1.  Please post a URL if you know of
> one.

> Thanks in advance,
>     Joe Dusio

Fri, 06 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Prolog RPM for Red Hat Linux

2. Visual Tcl 1.6.0 RPM for Red Hat Linux

3. CLISP rpm for Red Hat Linux?

4. scm, emacs, rpm, and Red Hat 5.0

5. Need help with Python 1.4.1 Red Hat rpm

6. ANNOUNCE: tclpython-3.1 Red Hat Fedora Core 1 rpm

7. ANNOUNCE: tclperl-2.5 Red Hat Fedora Core 1 rpm

8. ANNOUNCE: tclodbc-2.2.1 Red Hat Fedora Core 1 rpm

9. Font display problems under Red Hat Linux 7.3

10. Various Ruby RPMs available for Red Hat Linux 7.2

11. FLORIST-2.0 on Red Hat Linux 5.0

12. Obtaining the IDLE GUI under Red Hat Linux 7.2