EKEY and double numbers
Author Message
 EKEY and double numbers

From the BC Forth Board:

MESSAGE: 1525
FROM   : DAN PHILLIPS
TO     : NICK JANOW
SUBJECT: ANSI Forth Update
FOLDER : A, "Main Mail Area"

OK, I find EKEY et al. a little less strange with Mitch's explanation - but why
not drop the other shoe and call it "EVENT", "EVENT?" and "EVENT>KEY" which is
where it looks like this thing is really trying to go.  Full english words are
a lot more appealling than acronyms if you have to live with them for the rest
of your Forthing life.

MESSAGE: 1527
FROM   : DAN PHILLIPS
TO     : NICK JANOW
SUBJECT: ANSI Forth Update
FOLDER : A, "Main Mail Area"

What about double number cell order on the stack?  Do you have info?  Is it
prescribed or environment-dependent?  (I think it should be
environment-dependent.)
--

Sat, 24 Sep 1994 14:30:02 GMT
 EKEY and double numbers

|From the BC Forth Board:
|
|OK, I find EKEY et al. a little less strange with Mitch's explanation - but why
|not drop the other shoe and call it "EVENT", "EVENT?" and "EVENT|KEY" which is
|where it looks like this thing is really trying to go.  Full english words are
|a lot more appealling than acronyms if you have to live with them for the rest
|of your Forthing life.

ABSOLUTELY!!!  I've written a standalone text editor in jforth that used
the amiga's mouse (via the OS routines to do so), and only accessed
the keyboard via the amiga's console.device.  This program also
monitors several system "ports" for messages from other programs,
so it is input-rich.  The jforth KEY routine isn't called anywhere
in the program...it doesn't even get linked into the final program.

Since KEY is always implemented as synchronous to the calling
process, it falls short of the I/O needs of modern implementations.
The act of event-gathering should not be associated with KEY...
at least the name should be more descriptive of the complex
situations that might be returned.

|What about double number cell order on the stack?  Do you have info?  Is it
|prescribed or environment-dependent?  (I think it should be
|environment-dependent.)

Insofar as the byte-ordering of simple 16 & 32 byte cells cannot
be assumed, why restrict double or floating-point number order
to something that might be less efficiant for a given cpu?

In other words, I agree.

Wed, 28 Sep 1994 15:13:06 GMT

1. KEY , EKEY , AND EKEY>CHAR

2. Writing double word binary numbers on screen

3. gawk: numbers not double-precision?

4. Double auto-number keys !

5. ANSForth A0004 re double number punctuation

6. Double precision -> number

7. PRC: double number cell order

8. Double Number Word Set

9. How do I convert a string to a double, a number loses the precision

10. adding 2 double digit numbers HELP

11. Random Number in double precision

12. file I/O -- reading double precision numbers