A new Forth for the 8051
Author Message
 A new Forth for the 8051

Firmware Factory is a public domain Windows95/NT based development
environment for microcontrollers. Based on IEEE1275 Open Firmware, it
features powerful realtime debugging tools and a software architecture
that's well suited to the volatile marketplace in which embedded firmware
is used.

You'll need Win32Forth to run it and M$ Word to print the documentation.

Firmware Factory was made to support any processor. Currently, only the
8051 version is implemented. But, you can use the code as a template to
port to different processors.  I tried to make this one a Godfather Forth
-- something that could make the C crowd an offer they can't refuse. 8-)

See   http://www.*-*-*.com/

-- Brad Eckert

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

I would love to check it out but the posted webpage is "not found".
Could you confirm it please.

Thanks!

Quote:
> Firmware Factory is a public domain Windows95/NT based development
{snip}

> See  http://www.nakatsu.com/brad/ffhome.html/

> -- Brad Eckert

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Just remove the trailing slash '/' from the address, and it will work
fine.

http://www.nakatsu.com/brad/ffhome.html

Tom Zimmer

P.S.

after my very brief examination of Firmware Factory, I am very impressed

with what I have seen thus far.  It even has some documentation.

And to add astounding to amazing, it is even public domain.

Thank you Brad for this wonderful example!

Quote:

> I would love to check it out but the posted webpage is "not found".
> Could you confirm it please.

> Thanks!

> > Firmware Factory is a public domain Windows95/NT based development
> {snip}

> > See  http://www.nakatsu.com/brad/ffhome.html/

> > -- Brad Eckert

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

>You'll need Win32Forth to run it and M$ Word to print the documentation.

I think W95 comes with a Word view/print utility ... for the cost conscious.

"Goodbye" said the fox to the Little Prince. "And now here is my secret,
 a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can rightly see,
 what is essential is invisible to the eye"

jim bilderback -- please remove the * if you'd care to email.

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

[snip]

> Firmware Factory was made to support any processor. Currently, only the
> 8051 version is implemented. But, you can use the code as a template to
> port to different processors.  I tried to make this one a Godfather Forth
> -- something that could make the C crowd an offer they can't refuse. 8-)

> See  http://www.nakatsu.com/brad/ffhome.html/

> -- Brad Eckert

I tried. What I got was "File Not found

The requested URL /brad/ffhome.html/ was not found on this server."

I'll try again.

Jerry

--
    *******     REMOVE THE "x" TO REPLY     *******
Engineering is the art      |     Let's talk about what

Mon, 09 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

> I opened your Word doc and a lot of it is gibberish text (although some
is
> readable) - did you use a non-standard font?

Gibberish is courtesy of Bill's Empire.  I used Word97 from the Office97
suite.  I hear there has been some fuss about backward compatibility.  Does
anyone have some ideas on providing a format that won't leave as many
people in the dust?

-- Brad Eckert

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

>Does
>anyone have some ideas on providing a format that won't leave as many
>people in the dust?

Word 6. That's the format WordPad can read. Isn't there a "Save As"
option in Word97?

        Bart.

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

> > I opened your Word doc and a lot of it is gibberish text (although some
> is
> > readable) - did you use a non-standard font?

> Gibberish is courtesy of Bill's Empire.  I used Word97 from the Office97
> suite.  I hear there has been some fuss about backward compatibility.  Does
> anyone have some ideas on providing a format that won't leave as many
> people in the dust?

Currently the easiest formats for documents are:-

  Plain ASCII       - Useful if document is text only.
  Word 6.0          - Widely used still.
  Wordperfect 5.0   - Convertable by many WP suites.
  HTML              - Browser ready and (providing it is sent with the
                      graphics files can include these also).
  postscript        - Readable with Ghostscript and similar packages
                      providing reasonably standard fonts are used
                      (else the page layout gets screwed but this can
                       be cured easily by the recipient).

Please note that the order of listing the above formats in no way implies
any preference. I am aiming to produce all my future documentation as HTML
to enable the widest distribution of information.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.   <http://www.tcontec.demon.co.uk/>

Going Forth Safely

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

> >Does
> >anyone have some ideas on providing a format that won't leave as many
> >people in the dust?

> Word 6. That's the format WordPad can read. Isn't there a "Save As"
> option in Word97?

Yes, but it is not wholly reliable as a transfer to Word 6.0.

--

Transport Control Technology Ltd.   <http://www.tcontec.demon.co.uk/>

Going Forth Safely

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:
>Word 6. That's the format WordPad can read. Isn't there a "Save As"
>option in Word97?

        Yes, but doesn't produce Word95/6 format files, even though it
claims to.  When you try, it actually produces an RTF file (which may still
be useful).

-GJC

---
 *  Arcane Incantations BBS  *  Windows95  *  Programs - Tools - Support  *
 *          781-843-7089           *       DOS       *        Free Access
*

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

> > Word 6. That's the format WordPad can read. Isn't there a "Save As"
> > option in Word97?

> Yes, but it is not wholly reliable as a transfer to Word 6.0.

The version originally released with Office97 was badly broken.  There's
a fixed version of that export filter available free from the downloads
section of www.microsoft.com.  We've had good results with that.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth D. Rather  (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                      +1 310-372-8493
111 N. Sepulveda Blvd.     Fax: +1 310-318-7130
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:

> Currently the easiest formats for documents are:-

>   Plain ASCII       - Useful if document is text only.
>   Word 6.0          - Widely used still.
>   Wordperfect 5.0   - Convertable by many WP suites.
>   HTML              - Browser ready and (providing it is sent with the

>                       graphics files can include these also).
>   PostScript        - Readable with Ghostscript and similar packages
>                       providing reasonably standard fonts are used
>                       (else the page layout gets screwed but this can
>                        be cured easily by the recipient).

We're currently publishing documentation as Acrobat (.pdf) files.  The
Acrobat reader is available free from Adobe and you can also distribute
it freely, but most people seem to have it.  We prefer it to html
because you get a more exact representation with much less hassle (no
dealing with graphics separately, etc.).  It also supports hot links,
which many of the more advanced text processors (e.g., Word97,
FrameMaker, etc.) can generate.

Elizabeth D. Rather  (US & Canada) 800-55-FORTH
FORTH Inc.                      +1 310-372-8493
111 N. Sepulveda Blvd.     Fax: +1 310-318-7130
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
http://www.forth.com

applications since 1973."

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:
> We're currently publishing documentation as Acrobat (.pdf) files.  The
> Acrobat reader is available free from Adobe and you can also distribute
> it freely, but most people seem to have it.

It's also cross platform...there's Acrobat Reader for the Mac and
xpdf for Unix/Linux - not all of us use Windows!

--
Stan Barr
I wish I could think of something clever to say here.......

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 A new Forth for the 8051

Quote:
> Currently the easiest formats for documents are:-
>  Plain ASCII       - Useful if document is text only.
>  Word 6.0          - Widely used still.
>  Wordperfect 5.0   - Convertable by many WP suites.
>  HTML              - Browser ready and (providing it is sent with the
>                      graphics files can include these also).
>  PostScript        - Readable with Ghostscript and similar packages
>                      providing reasonably standard fonts are used
>                      (else the page layout gets screwed but this can
>                       be cured easily by the recipient).

As you seem to be centered on Windows, don't forget RTF. Rich Text is build
into the RICH EDIT control and as such almost every modern Windows program
can be made to display it (Wordpad, but also all modern Forths). HTML always
needs an external viewer, but is a very good cross-platform medium.

I think the suggested PDF format is about the worst choice one could make
(from a users view, not from the provider's side!).

-marcel

Wed, 11 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages