Cross compiler wanted
Author Message
 Cross compiler wanted

Quote:

>  I'm trying to put together a Forth cross compiler for an 8-bit dual stack
> machine
> called the Neuron Chip.  The hardware architecture is so Forth-like, that
> it
> makes sense to use in-line word expansion and direct threaded code, rather
> than the traditional implementation.

> It's also necessary to separate code, volatile data, and non-volatile data
> into separate
> segments to be located in ROM, RAM and EEPROM respectively.

I've done a clumsy implementation of this in my Chromium cross-compiler.
 Unfortunately, this is still a work in progress, and currently runs
under F83.  (You can find it, and source for a 6809 Forth target, in
<ftp://ftp.forth.org/pub/Forth/Camel/cam09-10.zip>.)

Quote:
> All of the PD implementations that I have seen run the compiler
> on the target, generate indirect threaded code, and mix the dictionary
> headers with the compiled code and the data declarations.  Even the ANSI
> standard itself seems to require the compiler itself to execute on the
> target.

This is, alas, true of the ANSI standard.  The committee decided that NO
cross-compiled Forth could meet the standard, due to the requirement for
interpretive behaviors.  But there are several cross-compilers which
don't run on the target, generate direct-threaded or subroutine-threaded
code, and omit the dictionary headers.  One such is TCOM, included in
F-PC.  It'll probably be easier to modify TCOM than to modify my
Chromium.

You might also consider a commercial product, which would do all you ask
and then some, with documentation and support to boot.  Offhand, I don't
know if any of the Forth vendors support  the Neuron chip.
--
Brad Rodriguez    T-Recursive Technology : Computers on the Small Scale

Contributing Editor, The Computer Journal... http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~tcj
Secretary, Forth Interest Group.......... http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Cross compiler wanted

 I'm trying to put together a Forth cross compiler for an 8-bit dual stack
machine
called the Neuron Chip.  The hardware architecture is so Forth-like, that
it
makes sense to use in-line word expansion and direct threaded code, rather
than the traditional implementation.

It's also necessary to separate code, volatile data, and non-volatile data
into separate
segments to be located in ROM, RAM and EEPROM respectively.

All of the PD implementations that I have seen run the compiler
on the target, generate indirect threaded code, and mix the dictionary
headers with the compiled code and the data declarations.  Even the ANSI
standard itself seems to require the compiler itself to execute on the
target.

This target doesn't have standard character stream I/O or a mass storage
device, so the
associated words for compiling and file management would only be needed at
compile time.

Does anybody have experience with an ANSI or F83 cross compiler?
It doesn't have to be written in Forth.

TIA
--
Harold Rabbie
Saratoga, CA

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Cross compiler wanted

Quote:

>  I'm trying to put together a Forth cross compiler for an 8-bit dual stack
> machine
> called the Neuron Chip.  The hardware architecture is so Forth-like, that
> it
> makes sense to use in-line word expansion and direct threaded code, rather
> than the traditional implementation.

Do you mean sub-routine threading using the CPUs native call/return
instructions?

Quote:
> It's also necessary to separate code, volatile data, and non-volatile data
> into separate
> segments to be located in ROM, RAM and EEPROM respectively.

> All of the PD implementations that I have seen run the compiler
> on the target, generate indirect threaded code, and mix the dictionary
> headers with the compiled code and the data declarations.  Even the ANSI
> standard itself seems to require the compiler itself to execute on the
> target.

> This target doesn't have standard character stream I/O or a mass storage
> device, so the
> associated words for compiling and file management would only be needed at
> compile time.

It sounds like what you could use is an umbilical system,  where the
compiler lives in a PC and emits code into an eprom emulator running on
the target.
Forth Inc and MPE build such systems for many CPUs.  In exchange for
money they can create one for the neuron chip.

I only heard about this neuron chip yesterday and I am not aware of a PD
Forth system for it.

--

Brian Fox

Web site: http://www.microtronix.ca/~bfox/

MICROTRONIX SYSTEMS LTD.    Ph:  (519) 659-9500, Ext 259
200 Aberdeen Dr.            FAX  (519) 659-8500
London Ont.                 Canada N5V 4N2

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Cross compiler wanted

Quote:

> >  I'm trying to put together a Forth cross compiler for an 8-bit dual
stack machine
> > called the Neuron Chip.  The hardware architecture is so Forth-like,
that it
> > makes sense to use in-line word expansion and direct threaded code,
rather
> > than the traditional implementation.

> Do you mean sub-routine threading using the CPUs native call/return

instructions?

Either in-line copying for short code words, or else use the native
call/return for longer words,
or when space is at a premium.

Quote:
> It sounds like what you could use is an umbilical system, where the
> compiler lives in a PC and emits code into an eprom emulator running on

the target.

The host-target communications are done already in silicon.  One of the
neat features of the Neuron
Chip is that it includes a 7-layer network protocol stack and it can easily
be interfaced to
a variety of media such as twisted pair, radio and power line. The chip
includes EEPROM, so you don't need a ROM emulator.

Quote:
> I only heard about this Neuron Chip yesterday and I am not aware of a PD

Forth system for it.

Exactly why I want to do it.  The only available development system is
C-based and costs at least $5K.

--
Harold Rabbie
Saratoga, CA
Remove .NOSPAM from my address before replying

Sun, 02 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADA-to-C++ cross compiler WANTED

2. Wanted: Intel PL/M86 Cross-compiler for PC

3. WANTED: FORTRAN Cross - Compiler

4. Ada compilers and cross-compilers

5. Compilers Windows NT or Cross Compiler SunSolaris2.5/Windows NT Fortran77

6. Forth Programmer Wanted: Cross Posting from RCFB

7. Modula-2 cross-referencer wanted

8. Wanted - a C-language cross-referencing tool

9. WANTED: Cross assembler and linker for 80x86!!!!

10. Wanted Ada Cross Reference (xref) tool

11. cross-reference tool wanted

12. cross reference program wanted