Forth on ARM-based/Tungsten Palm PDA?
Author Message
 Forth on ARM-based/Tungsten Palm PDA?

Are there any commercial or non-commercial Forths available for the
Tungsten series of Palms?

I know of Quartus Forth and DragonForth for Palm OS on the 68k, but
haven't been able to find anything similar for the Tungsten.
--
Steinar -happily hacking GForth on his Zaurus

Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:17:58 GMT
 Forth on ARM-based/Tungsten Palm PDA?

Quote:

> Are there any commercial or non-commercial Forths available for the
> Tungsten series of Palms?

> I know of Quartus Forth and DragonForth for Palm OS on the 68k, but
> haven't been able to find anything similar for the Tungsten.

I don't know of a Forth specifically for the Tungsten series of devices,
but there are more than a few ARM-based Forths out there.  I don't know
what state they might be in, or how helpful they'd be.  The Tungsten has
a lot of very specific hardware, and the APIs all expect you to be
coding in C.

I'd actually be interested in a Mac- or PC-based Palm cross-compiler.
I'm more interested in generating an ARM target for the Palm (as a .prc
file) than running the interpreter on the device.

I cheerfully admit I'm just not smart enough to implement this myself.

-- cm

Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:48:26 GMT
 Forth on ARM-based/Tungsten Palm PDA?

Quote:

>> Are there any commercial or non-commercial Forths available for the
>> Tungsten series of Palms?

>> I know of Quartus Forth and DragonForth for Palm OS on the 68k, but
>> haven't been able to find anything similar for the Tungsten.

They wouldn't help you even if they existed. The Palm OS on the ARM
processor is one massive emulator of the 68K DragonBall processor. You
cannot write Palm apps in ARM assembly. Pitty really, this to me is a real
sore spot for Palm.

--
Best regards,

                               http://www.simforth.com

Sun, 22 Jan 2006 04:50:53 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: PtCon 0.1 - Console for Palm Tcl on the Palm PDA

2. Free Palm Pilot PDA

3. Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

4. Fortran for Palms and other PDA's

5. Forth for MIPS (WAS: Forth on a PDA)

6. Ada 95 for an ARM-based bare board?

7. PDA module - PDA questions

8. Labview PDA, What component does my Windows CE OS needs to run labview PDA

9. ARM Forth

10. Forth for PDA?

11. Forth for the ARM

12. Forth on a PDA