want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)
Author Message
 want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)

Is anyone aware of a "TSR" Forth for MS-DOS?  I just purchased an HP95LX
"palmtop" computer and I'm searching for a programming language.  (BTW,
I considered the PSION 3, which had a built in programming language, but
decided on the HP because of 1) DOS compatibility 2) built-in Lotus 1-2-3
and  3) Price.)

I can run DOS applications including, I'm sure, any *small* DOS Forth.
The machine comes with 512K RAM but only half of it is available for
user applications; the other half is virtual "disk space" -- the only
type of storage supported.  It reminds me of the "good old days" with CP/M
and my Osborne I!

Anyway, the reason why I want a *TSR* Forth, specifically, is that the
machine currently insists that all built-in applications be shut down
before it will launch a separate DOS application.  I am hoping that a
TSR Forth would allow me to circumvent this restriction and have a
programming language available concurrent with the built-in apps.
--

-----

Fri, 25 Nov 1994 23:03:42 GMT
 want TSR Forth for HP95LX palmtop (MS-DOS)

Quote:
>Is anyone aware of a "TSR" Forth for MS-DOS?  I just purchased an HP95LX
>"palmtop" computer and I'm searching for a programming language.  (BTW,
>I considered the PSION 3, which had a built in programming language, but
>decided on the HP because of 1) DOS compatibility 2) built-in Lotus 1-2-3
>and  3) Price.)
>I can run DOS applications including, I'm sure, any *small* DOS Forth.
>The machine comes with 512K RAM but only half of it is available for
>user applications; the other half is virtual "disk space" -- the only
>type of storage supported.  It reminds me of the "good old days" with CP/M
>and my Osborne I!
>Anyway, the reason why I want a *TSR* Forth, specifically, is that the
>machine currently insists that all built-in applications be shut down
>before it will launch a separate DOS application.  I am hoping that a
>TSR Forth would allow me to circumvent this restriction and have a
>programming language available concurrent with the built-in apps.
>--
>-----

There are two ways to do this. one is to buy Essex Marketeting Services' UTIL
, a sysmgr compiant forth programming system. it will create .COM, .EXE,
and .EXM files. It also has an 8086 assembler and disassembler,
and also gives you games, music, and graphics utilities. $70 (US).
Essex Marketing Services Inc.
272 Old Farms Road
Simsbury, CT 06070

The other (pseudo free) way is to get the program called multiple choice,
which can be obtained from wuarchive.wustl.edu in the directory
systems/ibmpc/msdos/sysutl
in the file mc.arc.

MC.ARC        B   19456  871119  Multiple choice, (multiple partitions)

this will allow the sysmgr to run in one partition and
pygmy forth (or any other DOS program) to run in the other.
but there are no graphics routines...

Read the news group comp.sys.palmtops and comp.sys.handhelds for more
HP95LX stuff.

John Blue

Tue, 29 Nov 1994 05:24:10 GMT

1. FORTH-83 for the HP95LX palmtop.

2. MS-DOS palmtop games written in Turbo Prolog

3. LMI Forth (was: porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix)

4. TSR's in Ms-Dos

5. SHOW87.EXE - MS-DOS TSR shows 8087 Registers

6. MS-DOS EDIT only program to thwart TSR

7. APL terminal program for MS-DOS wanted

8. Wanted: Compiler for MS-DOS & Win 31

9. >Was: Wanted: PD MS-DOS Ada compiler

10. Is there a Python for my XT Palmtop (MSDOS)

11. Recommendations for a MS-DOS Prolog Compiler Wanted

12. Wanted: Rayn-McFarland F77 Compiler for MS-DOS