Format For FTP Files
Author Message
 Format For FTP Files

Hi,

When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?

Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

Bye for now                                                       _
                                          _______________________| |_____
Chris Jakeman                            / _Forth_Interest_Group_| |____/
                                        / /_  __  ______  _   _  | | __
at Peterborough                        / __/ / / / __  / | | | | | |/ /
(a cathedral city                     / /   / / / /_/ /  | \_| | |   <
 80 miles north of London)           /_/   /_/ /___  /    \____| |_|\_\
Where do you come from?                           / /
                                   ______________/ /     United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 346477          /_______________/          Chapter

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

> When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
> compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?
> Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
> in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

This Macintosh and Unix user has no problem with PKZIP.
--
Procedamus in pace.     Wil Baden Costa Mesa, California

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

> Hi,

> When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
> compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?

> Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
> in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

Is there much reason for compressing them at all anymore?  Disk space
at the host end is usually cheap.  Many modems do a good job of
compressing and decompressing text, and even without that, Forth text
files tend not to be that long.  If you're downloading something like
Mops, it's another story.

--David
 _  _________________________________________________________________
(_\(__
 _|__)  David N. Williams          Phone:  1-(313)-764-5236
__|___  University of Michigan     Fax:    1-(313)-763-2213

 \|     Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1120

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

> Is there much reason for compressing them at all anymore?  Disk space
> at the host end is usually cheap.  Many modems do a good job of
> compressing and decompressing text, and even without that, Forth text
> files tend not to be that long.  If you're downloading something like
> Mops, it's another story.

Disk space at our host is still limited, many modems do little or no
compression, and some people still use slow modems.  IMHO, any file above
20K or so should be compressed.

--

This brain for rent! See http://www.forth.org/fig/homes/brodriguez.html
Contributing Editor, The Computer Journal... http://www.psyber.com/~tcj

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

>Hi,

>When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
>compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?

>Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
>in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

If you've ever unzipped a file with directories, you'll notice that the
slashes go forwards, as in Unix, rather than backwards, as in DOS. So, I
wouldn't be suprised if PKZIP/UNZIP exists for Unix.

In any case, there IS a GNU version of ZIP/UNZIP and I assume that is
available on all GNU platforms.
--
 "The Misinformation Highway Begins Here."
        -- Monty python Web Site (http://www.pythonline.com)

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Zipping files also provides an archive mechanism where you combine several
files onto one. This is more convenient for downloading multi-file
projects.

--

Finnigan Corporation
2215 Grand Avenue Parkway        Tel: (512) 251-1574

Quote:

> > Hi,

> > When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
> > compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?

> > Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
> > in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

> Is there much reason for compressing them at all anymore?  Disk space
> at the host end is usually cheap.  Many modems do a good job of
> compressing and decompressing text, and even without that, Forth text
> files tend not to be that long.  If you're downloading something like
> Mops, it's another story.

> --David
>  _  _________________________________________________________________
> (_\(__
>  _|__)  David N. Williams          Phone:  1-(313)-764-5236
> __|___  University of Michigan     Fax:    1-(313)-763-2213

>  \|     Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1120

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

> >Hi,

> >When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
> >compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?

> >Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
> >in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?

> If you've ever unzipped a file with directories, you'll notice that the
> slashes go forwards, as in Unix, rather than backwards, as in DOS. So, I
> wouldn't be suprised if PKZIP/UNZIP exists for Unix.

        Yes, every Unix system around here has them. The
        last time I looked there was some distinction between
        files labelled .zip and those labelled .ZIP, but
        Lord knows what it is.
--
Julian V. Noble

Tue, 26 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

>If you've ever unzipped a file with directories, you'll notice that the
>slashes go forwards, as in Unix, rather than backwards, as in DOS. So, I
>wouldn't be suprised if PKZIP/UNZIP exists for Unix.

There is some program called zip and unzip which can generate
PKZIP compatible files. (My OOF (the dos version) was zipped by that
one.)

Quote:
>In any case, there IS a GNU version of ZIP/UNZIP and I assume that is
>available on all GNU platforms.

I think gunzip can extract files from a .zip archive, but I am not sure
if it can generate one which can be unzipped by PKUNZIP.

Andras

Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

Quote:

>> Is there much reason for compressing them at all anymore?  Disk space
>> at the host end is usually cheap.  Many modems do a good job of
>> compressing and decompressing text, and even without that, Forth text
>> files tend not to be that long.  If you're downloading something like
>> Mops, it's another story.

>Disk space at our host is still limited, many modems do little or
>no compression, and some people still use slow modems.  IMHO, any
>file above 20K or so should be compressed.

        Of course, the *reason* why you are compressing makes a
difference as to what standard you are using.  If you are
compressing to save space on the server, then an option to
decompress the file prior to downloading covers the bases for
those that can't handle the compressed format.  If you are
compressing to deal with download issues -- archiving and
download time -- then using the old (pkzip 1.xx) format works
even for some machines on the trailing edge of technology that
can't handle pkzip 2.01 format.

--
Virtually,

Bruce R. McFarling, Newcastle, NSW

Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Format For FTP Files

|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > When I upload documents to taygeta.com/pub/incoming/forth, I usually
|> > compress with PKZIP first.  But what about Unix and Apple users?
|> >
|> > Can Unix and Apple people read PKZIPped files?  Should I upload copies
|> > in 3 formats - .ZIP .gz and .hqx - to reach the widest audience?
|>
|> Is there much reason for compressing them at all anymore?  Disk space
|> at the host end is usually cheap.  Many modems do a good job of
|> compressing and decompressing text, and even without that, Forth text
|> files tend not to be that long.  If you're downloading something like
|> Mops, it's another story.

        Besides compression, 'zipping a distribution puts it into a convinient
        single file package.  There are alternatives,

        -- self extracting EXE files,  this is only useful if your package is only
        to run on a DOS system.

        -- TAR files, this is a universal Unix format for bundling files, but there
        are programs to handle them for MS-DOS (see ftp://taygeta.com/pub/DOS_Extras).

        You can also get the GNU gzip for MS-DOS in DOS_Extras.

        I'd be happy to carry the Apple equivalents if someone would download public
        ones to taygeta.

--
 Everett (Skip) Carter          Phone: 408-641-0645 FAX:  408-394-5561

 1340 Munras Ave., Suite 223    UUCP:     ...!uunet!taygeta!skip
 Monterey, CA. 93940            WWW: http://www.taygeta.com/skip.html

Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. expect:ftp:downloading new files from a huge ftp account

2. New files available at ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com Archive

3. Format of an ASCII file and comp-3 format

4. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

5. My ftp site (ftp://ftp.iag.net/pub/clipper)

6. V format ftp to non-IBM system

7. V format ftp to non-IBM system

8. .Z Format in FTP servers?

9. .Z Format in FTP servers?

10. EDN BBS is looking for a FTP sponsor file the files

11. FTP and MF neg signed numbers in disp format

12. ftp return format