Book review - Thinking Forth
Author Message
 Book review - Thinking Forth

The August 2003 issue of Dr Dobbs Journal, page 68, has a review of
Thinking Forth.

Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:22:22 GMT
 Book review - Thinking Forth

Quote:

> The August 2003 issue of Dr Dobbs Journal, page 68, has a review of
> Thinking Forth.

Wow!  I'll have to check this out!  I hadn't pick up a DDJ for some
time now.  They used to have a fair amount of coverage on non C/Unix/
MicroSoft programming stuff.  Good to see Forth mentioned.  Interested
that the review was for such an old book.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Mon, 26 Dec 2005 03:33:08 GMT
 Book review - Thinking Forth

Quote:
> Wow!  I'll have to check this out!  I hadn't pick up a DDJ
> for some time now.  They used to have a fair amount of
> coverage on non C/Unix/MicroSoft programming stuff.
> Good to see Forth mentioned.  Interested that the review
> was for such an old book.

The review is more about looking back at "Thinking Forth" in terms of
Extreme Programming.

I'm personally not bothered by the "C/Unix/Microsoft programming stuff" that
has largely become the focus.  That's because new ideas and concepts remain
interesting, even if they are implemented in some variation of C, or if it
is implemented on top of .NET.  A good example was the "transparent proxy"
pattern that was discussed last month.  They used Java and C# to illustrate
the point, but the technique and discussion was valuable regardless of what
language you use.

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 00:47:34 GMT
 Book review - Thinking Forth

Quote:

>>The August 2003 issue of Dr Dobbs Journal, page 68, has a review of
>>Thinking Forth.

> Wow!  I'll have to check this out!  I hadn't pick up a DDJ for some
> time now.  They used to have a fair amount of coverage on non C/Unix/
> MicroSoft programming stuff.  Good to see Forth mentioned.  Interested
> that the review was for such an old book.

They used to do a fair bit of Forth related stuff. They even asked me
for permission to include my "Underview" on a new CD they where putting
together the other year. Don't know what they did with it though.

--
Peter Knaggs

Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:10:15 GMT
 Book review - Thinking Forth

Quote:

> > Wow!  I'll have to check this out!  I hadn't pick up a DDJ
> > for some time now.  They used to have a fair amount of
> > coverage on non C/Unix/MicroSoft programming stuff.
> > Good to see Forth mentioned.  Interested that the review
> > was for such an old book.

> The review is more about looking back at "Thinking Forth" in terms of
> Extreme Programming.

> I'm personally not bothered by the "C/Unix/Microsoft programming stuff" that
> has largely become the focus.  That's because new ideas and concepts remain
> interesting, even if they are implemented in some variation of C, or if it
> is implemented on top of .NET.  A good example was the "transparent proxy"
> pattern that was discussed last month.  They used Java and C# to illustrate
> the point, but the technique and discussion was valuable regardless of what
> language you use.

I didn't say I was "bothered" by the "me too" stuff (C/Unix/Microsoft),
just that I liked DDJ much better when they gave more space to stuff that
has not "largely become the focus".  I can pick up any rag for "me too"
stuff.

Regards,

John M. Drake

Wed, 28 Dec 2005 06:33:19 GMT