The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Author Message
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

REF is a word that finds all the words that refer to the word in
question.

Does anyone have this word for Winn32Forth?  I believe it works by
searching the dictionary and looking for a match to the CFA of the
word in question.  It shows the name of every word that contains the
CFA of the word in question.  Then the user can VIEW or SEE the
definitions and use them as examples to learn from.

It is of great use in getting used to a system new to a person.  For
example if a person did not know how to use the word EMIT he could REF
EMIT and find several ecamples including TYPE and CRLF and so on.

Win32Forth has a great hyperlink system.  It has good search words too
and this can be used for a work around, but I really miss having the
REF word.

Thu, 05 Feb 2004 05:04:59 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Hello John,

I remember REF from F-PC, but never got around to implementing it in
Win32forth.  One of the reasons I never did, is that I didn't need it,
since global search is available in WinView.  you can look at all the
references to a word that way, and even save the search list, so help sort
out the applicable entries.

Tom Zimmer

Quote:

> REF is a word that finds all the words that refer to the word in
> question.

> Does anyone have this word for Winn32Forth?  I believe it works by
> searching the dictionary and looking for a match to the CFA of the
> word in question.  It shows the name of every word that contains the
> CFA of the word in question.  Then the user can VIEW or SEE the
> definitions and use them as examples to learn from.

> It is of great use in getting used to a system new to a person.  For
> example if a person did not know how to use the word EMIT he could REF
> EMIT and find several ecamples including TYPE and CRLF and so on.

> Win32Forth has a great hyperlink system.  It has good search words too
> and this can be used for a work around, but I really miss having the
> REF word.

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 23:34:39 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Quote:

> Hello John,

> I remember REF from F-PC, but never got around to implementing it in
> Win32forth.  One of the reasons I never did, is that I didn't need it,
> since global search is available in WinView.  you can look at all the
> references to a word that way, and even save the search list, so help sort
> out the applicable entries.

> Tom Zimmer

What is WinView? Google returned this first page:

Searched the web for WinView.

WINview data acquisition software, free download, ready to ...
... WINview Series Data Acquisition Software. ... WINview Series Data Acquisition
Software Solutions Wide Selection, Ready-to-Run ...
www.superlogics.com/wvgoto.asp - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Equinox FTP for WinView SST Driver
... SST Driver for WinView Please complete the following form so that we can continue
to enhance our support to you. Thanks for your cooperation. ...
www.equinox.com/iftw/wview/ftpr.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

WinView 601 TV/FM Driver
Back.GIF (1387 bytes) WinView 601 / WinView 601TV/FM
Driver WinView 601 TV The new version ...
www.leadtek.com.tw/old/e601TVFMDL.htm - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

     WinView Driver
     Back.GIF (1387 bytes) WinView. If you can't find what you want, remember
     try FTP. WinView. ... TV2000. TV2000. VC100. VC100. SOUND Card. 4x / 6XSound.
     www.leadtek.com.tw/old/EWinViewDL.htm - 4k - Cached - Similar pages
     [ More results from www.leadtek.com.tw ]

WinView/400
WinView/400. View AS/400 Reports without an AS/400 !!!
WinView ... amazing !!! WinView/400 benefits include: ...
www.rjssoft.com/winview4.htm - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

Winview Nuclear analysis software
Winview. Nuclear Data Analysis Software. ... DownloadWINVIEW demo version (last updated
10 December 1999). Download the manual for WINVIEW in PDF format. ...
www.cat.csiro.au/dem/msg/winview/winview.html - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

WinView By Date
... Date < <, Title. 08/03/2000, How to Toggle Random
Generation of Anonymous User Passwords. ...
ctxex10.citrix.com/texpert.nsf/WinView+By+Date - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

Winview Windows Data Acquisition Software
... WINview Series Data Acquisition Software. ... Click for a comparison of WINview,
WINvIiew Plus, and WINview LE. View the WINview Series specifications. ...
www.adac.com/catpages/winview.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

README.WINVIEW - Linux HeadQuarters
... Support for the Leadtek WinView 601 TV/FM by Jon Tombs This card is basically the
same as all the rest (Bt484A, Philips tuner), the main difference is that ...
www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/video4linux/bttv/README.WINVIEW.html
 - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

Security WinView 605
WinView 605 performance video solution for video surveillance
on PC platform. Introducing WinView ...
www.elextronika.com/tvphone/e605.htm - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

Jerry

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:21:13 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
WinView is the Windows Text editor that is included with Win32Forth.  WinView is written in
Forth, and compiled as a turnkeyed application on top of Win32Forth.  I can hardly believe
you have used Win32forth, and don't know about WinView.

Tom Zimmer

Quote:

> [...]

> WINvIiew Plus, and WINview LE. View the WINview Series specifications. ...
> www.adac.com/catpages/winview.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

> README.WINVIEW - Linux HeadQuarters
> ... Support for the Leadtek WinView 601 TV/FM by Jon Tombs This card is basically the
> same as all the rest (Bt484A, Philips tuner), the main difference is that ...
> www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/doc/video4linux/bttv/README.WINVIEW.html
>  - 4k - Cached - Similar pages

> Security WinView 605
> WinView 605 performance video solution for video surveillance
> on PC platform. Introducing WinView ...
> www.elextronika.com/tvphone/e605.htm - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:20:23 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

> I can hardly believe you have used Win32forth, and don't know about WinView.

> Tom Zimmer

Err...,

Sure I've used it, but I'm lousy at remembering names.

Jerry

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 05:07:30 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Me too, ......  What was my name?

> > I can hardly believe you have used Win32forth, and don't know about WinView.

> > Tom Zimmer

> Err...,

> Sure I've used it, but I'm lousy at remembering names.

> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 06:21:10 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Quote:

> Me too, ......  What was my name?
> > Err...,

Was that it?

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:18:42 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Firs base!
Quote:

> > Me too, ......  What was my name?
> > > Err...,

> Was that it?

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:07:44 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

Quote:
> Firs base!

What's on second, Who's on first!

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:19:31 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Tom, I think he's telling you the same thing that I told you recently;
that you have done almost zero to promote your work.

You have gone to all the trouble to produce a world-class
windows-compatible development system, then you just walked away from
it.  No real documentation, very few examples, just a passing mention on
your website.  You haven't even bothered to upload the last couple of
year's bugfixes to Taygeta.

When someone does a search on Win32forth, or on Winview, there is
precious little to be found.  And that's a cryin' shame!

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 03:26:04 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth
Hmmm...,

Quote:

> Tom, I think he's telling you the same thing that I told you recently;
> that you have done almost zero to promote your work.

Well, you aren't wrong, but Win32Forth is now six years old, and it has
served it's purpose very well.  I don't promote it because I don't have time
to use it, or support it properly.  If others want to do that, It is fine
with me.

Quote:

> You have gone to all the trouble to produce a world-class
> windows-compatible development system, then you just walked away from
> it.  No real documentation, very few examples, just a passing mention on
> your website.  You haven't even bothered to upload the last couple of
> year's bugfixes to Taygeta.

Ok, you can put down the club, and quit hitting so hard.  What you say is
true, but I am not a company, I don't have a lot of time or money to invest
into Win32forth, so others will have to do it, or it won't get done.  I was
very actively developing Win32Forth for several years, but those years are
over for me.  I have moved on to other things.  They may not be better
things, but we don't always get to choose our destination.  Where I am at
now is not a bad place, it just doesn't happen to include much Forth.

Quote:

> When someone does a search on Win32forth, or on Winview, there is
> precious little to be found.  And that's a cryin' shame!

I agree, it is a shame, but I can't accept the blame.  Win32Forth is in the
public domain.  If you or others want to support or evolve it into something
else, or something better, then you are free to do that.  You can stand on
Win32Forth's shoulders, or toes, that is up to you.  I realize that there is
an emotional pressure in the Win32Forth community to not make changes to
Tom's Forth without Tom's approval, but I am willing to give up my control
if there is anyone willing to pick up the gauntlet.  Any takers?

Anyone interested in volunteering can email me, and we can begin the
'Win32Forth vs Tom Zimmer" separation process.

Just my thoughts,

Tom Zimmer

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 06:43:44 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

Quote:

> Hmmm...,

> > Tom, I think he's telling you the same thing that I told you recently;
> > that you have done almost zero to promote your work.

> Well, you aren't wrong, but Win32Forth is now six years old, and it has
> served it's purpose very well.  I don't promote it because I don't have time
> to use it, or support it properly.  If others want to do that, It is fine
> with me.

> > You have gone to all the trouble to produce a world-class
> > windows-compatible development system, then you just walked away from
> > it.  No real documentation, very few examples, just a passing mention on
> > your website.  You haven't even bothered to upload the last couple of
> > year's bugfixes to Taygeta.

> Ok, you can put down the club, and quit hitting so hard.  What you say is
> true, but I am not a company, I don't have a lot of time or money to invest
> into Win32forth, so others will have to do it, or it won't get done.  I was
> very actively developing Win32Forth for several years, but those years are
> over for me.  I have moved on to other things.  They may not be better
> things, but we don't always get to choose our destination.  Where I am at
> now is not a bad place, it just doesn't happen to include much Forth.

> > When someone does a search on Win32forth, or on Winview, there is
> > precious little to be found.  And that's a cryin' shame!

> I agree, it is a shame, but I can't accept the blame.  Win32Forth is in the
> public domain.  If you or others want to support or evolve it into something
> else, or something better, then you are free to do that.  You can stand on
> Win32Forth's shoulders, or toes, that is up to you.  I realize that there is
> an emotional pressure in the Win32Forth community to not make changes to
> Tom's Forth without Tom's approval, but I am willing to give up my control
> if there is anyone willing to pick up the gauntlet.  Any takers?

> Anyone interested in volunteering can email me, and we can begin the
> 'Win32Forth vs Tom Zimmer" separation process.

> Just my thoughts,

> Tom Zimmer

Tom:
You have provided me much guidance over the years
and help me made some programs that my customers think are
some of the best - I freely give credit to you for the know
how in these areas.
It is rather sad that you may be having to restrict you activity.
I know that I am not the only one who will miss your inputs.
Where ever you go and what ever you do the best.

Bill Stewart
I am not a FORTH programmer but I use FORTH to solve my applications.

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:06:45 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

Quote:

> Tom:
> You have provided me much guidance over the years
> and help me made some programs that my customers think are
> some of the best - I freely give credit to you for the know
> how in these areas.
> It is rather sad that you may be having to restrict you activity.
> I know that I am not the only one who will miss your inputs.
> Where ever you go and what ever you do the best.

Thanks Bill. I should say, my activities are not so much being restricted, as they
are being expanded into new areas.  My expansion is primarily into the Java area,
which though it may have problems, is still far superior to C++.

Quote:

> Bill Stewart
> I am not a FORTH programmer but I use FORTH to solve my applications.

I am a Forth programmer.  When I develop software in Forth, or in any other
language, I always solve problems through the lens of Forth.  Forth is not a
religion, it is a way of thinking.

Tom Zimmer

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 22:01:28 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

Quote:

> I am a Forth programmer.  When I develop software in Forth, or in any
other
> language, I always solve problems through the lens of Forth.  Forth is not
> religion, it is a way of thinking.

    Isn't a religion a way of thinking?

--

-GJC

-Abolish Public Schools.

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:35:57 GMT
 The word REF is need in Win32Forth

Quote:

>> I am a Forth programmer.  When I develop software in Forth, or in
>> any other language, I always solve problems through the lens of
>> Forth.  Forth is not a religion, it is a way of thinking.
>     Isn't a religion a way of thinking?

Although the answer to your quesion is "yes", Tom's posting may still
be right.

This is an example of a fallacious argument, because "all religions
are ways of thinking" does not imply that all ways of thinking are
religions.

Andrew.

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 02:55:53 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Win32Forth Get&Delete editor word needed.

2. App-Ref: Need to break up a large App, App-Ref can help

3. Popup documentation when hovering over a word in tne Brouse mode in Win32Forth

4. Recoding the C wrapper words in Win32Forth.

5. Win32Forth WinView Editor word wanted eView

6. redefing dictionary words in Win32forth

7. Ref.: Re: Ref.: Re: Time.local bug?

8. list-ref <-> vector-ref

9. Need ref to new book on Verilog

10. Need ref for fast Pentium numerics

11. implementation of Probabilistic Logic Programming (ref. needed)

12. I need a Win32Forth Manual