ISO Standard Forth
Author Message
 ISO Standard Forth

I am posting this, which I received as eMail, with the permission of the

UK readers who are able to answer his questions, or who have an interest in
a ISO counterpart to ANSI Forth, are invited to reply by eMail. (I have
advised him of the existance of FIG-UK.)

The "yesterday" refered to was Tuesday 12th December.

Gordon Charlton

___________________________

At the BSI programming language committee yesterday it was reported that a
proposal will be coming to turn the US standard for Forth into an ISO one.

We usually tackle these things by setting up a panel to keep an eye on the
language developments, review documents, and keep the committee informed.
Panels can meet at need and where and when it suits them, we just need a
convenor as contact, and a quarterly report (which can be a "nothing to
report" oneliner).

We'd like advice before long as to whether UK should vote to approve making
an
ISO standard (for this we have to identify known UK need for it since BSI
will
then "adopt" it and that costs them money), and how future development
should
take place - in ISO, ANSI, FIG or wherever.

Can you advise me about extent of UK interest, e.g is there a UK FIG
branch,
or mailing list?  And the likelihood of being able to create a small panel
of
folk interested in the standard (as opposed to in the language)?

Brian Meek
Assistant Director, King's College London Computing Centre
Proposed incoming chairman, BSI/DISC IST/5 (programming languages)

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 ISO Standard Forth

Quote:
> I am posting this, which I received as eMail, with the permission of the

> UK readers who are able to answer his questions, or who have an interest in
> a ISO counterpart to ANSI Forth, are invited to reply by eMail. (I have
> advised him of the existance of FIG-UK.)

[snip]

Quote:
> Can you advise me about extent of UK interest, e.g is there a UK FIG
> branch,
> or mailing list?  And the likelihood of being able to create a small panel
> of
> folk interested in the standard (as opposed to in the language)?

> Brian Meek
> Assistant Director, King's College London Computing Centre
> Proposed incoming chairman, BSI/DISC IST/5 (programming languages)

I for one would be interested. I shall drop a message to Brian this weekend. I
hope other UK persons would also take up this item as one to persue. I can also
be available for meetings.

--
Paul E. Bennett

Going Forth Safely

Wed, 03 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Forth standards (was "forth standard?")

2. branching in proposed ISO standard

3. ISO Standards Documents

4. ISO International Standard IS8485

5. ISO Standard for Headless Images?

6. ISO Standard for Software Revisions

7. ISO Standard Approved

8. ISO standard for EBNF

9. Oberon ISO-Standard?

10. Static scoping in BCPL (was Re: Are nested functions legal in ANSI/ISO Standard C)

11. Cost of ISO Standard Documents

12. An ISO Standard Question