How to output live sound?
Author Message
 How to output live sound?

Hi metal programmers -

The other day i downloaded a tiny demo by
Steve Gibson, author of Spinrite and doing
every program in 100% ASM (under Win32),
and he had some
really nice sounds in there, generated live
by the program (as it was only 20K it was
obviously not pre-fab and sampled, thus not a
.WAV file)

Does anybody here have pointers to information
how this is done? I know them Windows functions to
play WAV files, but i don't know how to output
live computed audio samples in realtime so
that it sounds really smooth, thus, not
jittering. Can anybody give me a hint? ASM, Forth,
C are all allright to me... unfortunately
i didn't have the sourcecode for the demo,
otherwise i wouldn't have to ask. How do all
the analog synth simulators do it? Somebody
here knows? Do i have to do Windows Kernel mode
programming? Or is there a cheaper way?

Thanks in advance, and by the way,
many thanks to Bruce Hoyt for his nice grafics
algorithms implementations! Bruce, do you
have an URL for more material of yours? It was
a nice experience to port it to my upcoming
Forth, it (and i) learned a lot during that.

Dirk Heise

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:57:32 GMT
 How to output live sound?

Quote:

> Hi metal programmers -

> The other day i downloaded a tiny demo by
> Steve Gibson, author of Spinrite and doing
> every program in 100% ASM (under Win32),
> and he had some
> really nice sounds in there, generated live
> by the program (as it was only 20K it was
> obviously not pre-fab and sampled, thus not a
> .WAV file)

> Does anybody here have pointers to information
> how this is done? I know them Windows functions to
> play WAV files, but i don't know how to output
> live computed audio samples in realtime so
> that it sounds really smooth, thus, not
> jittering. Can anybody give me a hint? ASM, Forth,
> C are all allright to me... unfortunately
> i didn't have the sourcecode for the demo,
> otherwise i wouldn't have to ask. How do all
> the analog synth simulators do it? Somebody
> here knows? Do i have to do Windows Kernel mode
> programming? Or is there a cheaper way?

> Thanks in advance, and by the way,
> many thanks to Bruce Hoyt for his nice grafics
> algorithms implementations! Bruce, do you
> have an URL for more material of yours? It was
> a nice experience to port it to my upcoming
> Forth, it (and i) learned a lot during that.

> Dirk Heise

Ask Gibson and in comp.dsp and alt.rec.music.

Jerry

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:29:48 GMT
 How to output live sound?

Quote:
Dirk writes:
> really nice sounds in there, generated live by the program (as it was only
> 20K it was obviously not pre-fab and sampled, thus not a .WAV file)

What kind of sounds were they? You can do a lot with a few hundred bytes.
Karplus-Strong (plucked string) is such an example. Tuned filters are also
very small and would probably sound better or equivalent to any .wav of
electronic percussion (the cheesy kind of course).

-marcel

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 05:41:40 GMT
 How to output live sound?

Quote:

>Dirk writes:

>> really nice sounds in there, generated live by the program (as it was only
>> 20K it was obviously not pre-fab and sampled, thus not a .WAV file)

>What kind of sounds were they? You can do a lot with a few hundred bytes.
>Karplus-Strong (plucked string) is such an example. Tuned filters are also
>very small and would probably sound better or equivalent to any .wav of
>electronic percussion (the cheesy kind of course).

>-marcel

Linux is terrible for multi-media, but that may change. One change is
there's a pretty good Linux music site now,

        http://Mstation.org/

And since it's Linux, there's probably a fair bit of low-level stuff
there or nearby.

Rick Hohensee
                                                www.clienux.com

Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:53:46 GMT
 How to output live sound?

Quote:

> The other day i downloaded a tiny demo

Here's the URL - I found it's worth the download,
quite good for a few ideas,
as is the Small-is-Beautiful section of the site.
http://grc.com/files/am.exe

Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:51:20 GMT

1. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code584

2. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code2516

3. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code3881

4. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code3046

5. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code585

6. Live dragging window with live refresh

7. Sound output levels

8. TONE() output to sound card

9. sound output on Mac

10. Sound output with SO Write without interruption...

11. continuous sound output without breaks?

12. Sound Card Output with Clipper