Chuck's Code
Author Message
 Chuck's Code

It's fairly common to see coments about Chuck Moore's coding style but
where can one actually see the original? People learn by example and it
would be valuable to see the work of Forth's first and perhaps greatest
exponent.
   Thomas Worthington

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Chuck's Code

Quote:

> It's fairly common to see coments about Chuck Moore's coding style but
> where can one actually see the original? People learn by example and it
> would be valuable to see the work of Forth's first and perhaps greatest
> exponent.
>    Thomas Worthington

Try ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/forth/Compilers/cmforth.zip

Michael

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Chuck's Code

Quote:

>> It's fairly common to see coments about Chuck Moore's coding style but
>> where can one actually see the original? People learn by example and it
>> would be valuable to see the work of Forth's first and perhaps greatest
>> exponent.
>Try ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/forth/Compilers/cmforth.zip

    You have to realize that one of the principles of Chuck Moore's
coding style is avoiding comments at all costs. This was a common
way to do things in the era of puched cards since it meant you would
have a smaller deck to carry to the computer room. Also Chuck does
not use unnecessary things such as line feeds.

    Chuck's code always reminds me of a collection of formulas
from higher mathematics. It has all the knowledge from years
of research condensed into a form for efficient computation.
Unfortunately the text needed for understanding these formulas
is missing. Fortunately Chuck's friends look over his shoulder
while he is working and have written enough about what he
does so the rest of us can benefit.

--

Mon, 17 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Chuck's Forth

2. Chuck Moore's Take on ANS Forth

3. Chuck Moore's Color Forth

4. Chuck Moore's 1998 Fireside Chat

5. Chuck's Chips - Progress?

6. Chuck's Address

7. Chuck's new F21 Detail Specs

8. Chuck's New Chips

9. Take Forth's good points, chuck the bad point

10. Chuck's 3-key keyboard

11. Chuck Moore's 1x Forth

12. Legacy Code 2, The Code's Revenge!