386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth
Author Message
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:

>I'm looking for an implementation of an Intel 80386 32-bit assembler for
ANS
>Forth, written in ANS Forth.  I looked on FIG's web site, and on taygeta,

>no avail.

Look here for a listing of the files on the fig ftp site:

ftp://ftp.forth.org/pub/Forth/ls-lR

I found this postfix assembler (very well written, BTW :-)

ftp://ftp.forth.org/pub/Forth/Tools/asm386.fth

There is also a prefix assembler in Win32Forth.

Andrew

Sun, 15 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:

>I'm looking for an implementation of an Intel 80386 32-bit assembler for ANS
>Forth, written in ANS Forth.  I looked on FIG's web site, and on taygeta, to
>no avail.

Aztec at http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~n6388131/PROG.HTM has a postfix assembler
included with it, I have no problem with the code being used elsewhere.

Thomas Worthington

Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:

>I'm looking for an implementation of an Intel 80386 32-bit assembler for
ANS
>Forth, written in ANS Forth.  I looked on FIG's web site, and on taygeta,
>no avail.

SwiftForth's 80386 assembler uses Intel standard notation in postfix order.
See
our web site for details and ordering information.

Cheers,
Elizabeth

Sat, 21 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth
I believe that the poster was pretty explicit about needing an
unencumbered and freely redistributable 386 assembler.  SwiftForth is a
very good commercial implementation.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:

>I believe that the poster was pretty explicit about needing an
>unencumbered and freely redistributable 386 assembler.  SwiftForth is a
>very good commercial implementation.

        That has never stopped the commercial vendors here from putting in
an
unsolicited plug for their products.

-GJC

Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth
On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:22:54 -0500,

Quote:

>>I believe that the poster was pretty explicit about needing an
>>unencumbered and freely redistributable 386 assembler.  SwiftForth is a
>>very good commercial implementation.

I missed that part. I thought he said "written in ANS Forth". But we seem
to have lost the back-reference.

--
Rick Hohensee          http://cqi.com/~humbubba
colorg on EFnet IRC    #linux chanop

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

"Gary Chanson"  writes:

> >I believe that the poster was pretty explicit about needing an
> >unencumbered and freely redistributable 386 assembler.  SwiftForth is a
> >very good commercial implementation.

> That has never stopped the commercial vendors here from putting in an
> unsolicited plug for their products.

> -GJC

Why shouldn't they? A good commercial product is worth plugging. It's
good for the buyer and good for the vendor. This does not mean I do
not appreciate the shareware and GPL products that dedicated members
of our community have donated for the use of beginners, students and
occasional users. I do. But there is nothing wrong with money, commerce,
or advertising either.

--
Julian V. Noble

"Elegance is for tailors!"    -- Ludwig Boltzmann

Thu, 26 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:

> But there is nothing wrong with money, commerce, or advertising either.

Well, that depends on the advertising, some is pretty bad these days
;-)

SwiftForth really *is* a good commercial implementation.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:
> "Gary Chanson"  writes:
> > That has never stopped the commercial vendors here from putting in an
> > unsolicited plug for their products.

> Why shouldn't they? A good commercial product is worth plugging. It's
> good for the buyer and good for the vendor.

Sounds like an invitation to Spam.

An ad is bad for the average reader: on average they are not
interested and it wastes their time. If everyone starts plugging
everything everywhere, you'd have a group full of ads, and void of
discussions.  And this is not limited to commercial ads. Other ads
have the same effect.

What I think is ok: mentioning a product, when it's a contribution to
the question; and presenting a product that is on-topic in this group
when it is new (but if someone presents something new every few days
that would be abuse).

- anton

Tue, 01 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 386 Assemblers in Forth for Forth

Quote:
>> "Gary Chanson"  writes:
>> > That has never stopped the commercial vendors here from putting in an
>> > unsolicited plug for their products.

>> Why shouldn't they? A good commercial product is worth plugging. It's
>> good for the buyer and good for the vendor.

Sometimes it's nice to know that the product is still supported, and this
implied in the fact that the vendor is still promoting its usage.
Oftentimes I find the product that I need without looking for it and this is
because it has been 'advertised/plugged'. As good as web searches are
nowadays they sometimes fall short of finding exactly what you need.

Obviously there is a limit as to what people will tolerate in newsgroups,
and there are those specifically dedicated to sales (how many actually
subscribe to these?), the balance between vendor 'plugs' and usenet readers,
as with people, varies.

Luis.

Sun, 06 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LMI Forth (was: porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix)

2. 32 bit standard forth, forth assembler, unreadability

3. Forth for bare 386/486?

4. Exceptions in pF32-386/MSD from Forth, Inc.

5. 32-bit Forth for 386/486 ?

6. FROTH, 386 32-bits implementation of forth language

7. FORTH implementation on 386

8. 386-specific Forth

9. Searching for Forth on 386/Unix

10. porting an MS-DOS Forth to a 386 Unix/Xenix

11. Porting an 8088/MS-DOS FORTH to 386 Xenix

12. forth for sco xenix 386