8051 family Forths and Ethernet drivers
Author Message
 8051 family Forths and Ethernet drivers

Hi, strangers,

Just now looking at Philips 89C51RD2 microcontroller which NetMedia Inc have
used in their SitePlayer (R) component on a neat development board that
includes an LF1S022 RJ-45 Ethernet connector from Bothhand that is
integrated with filters, and the usual serial port.  Although SitePlayer is
made for adding a simple web-server to any device, my client wants to use
this hardware for copying an instrumentation protocol (UKComms) from
SitePlayer's serial port via the Internet with TCP/IP to a remote delphi
application.

I'm still in the process of getting prices for the usual C and
Macro-assembler IDEs (Keil, Tasking, Raisonance) and for CMX's TCP/IP C
source code and sample Ethernet drivers.  SitePlayer software seems to
include an Ethernet driver that makes use of the Programmable timer Counter
Array (PCA) feature of the Philips 8051 family chip mentioned above, which I
am also trying to price.

I may be jumping the gun a little but it is starting to look as if all this
very good embedded C development stuff is going to cost too much for the
project benefits to bear.

Naturally the easiest approach to any hardware that I'm not used to would be
to use Forth for both prototyping and production, and to use it for
prototyping in cases where the client specifies C for production.  The
latter approach was very efficient for some related work also involving
generating and capturing pulse trains that I did some 10 years ago.

A full set of tools would include all the C development stuff, CMX's TCP/IP
source code, and a full-featured commercial Forth for the 8051 family.

A minimal set of tools might be the Keil assembler and a public domain 8051
Forth assembly language listing.  No shortage of data sheets on the
microcontroller.

Rather than search for alternatives I am hoping someone on this list might
have some good suggestions for how I can complete the puzzle simply and
cheaply using mainly Forth, including:-
 -- Editing and download to the target Philips microcontroller chip
 -- Essential TCP/IP protocols: IP, ARP, RARP, ICMP, TCP
 -- Ethernet driver using the timer array on the target chip

However simple (and demanding costwise) this little project is, it can be
seen as a prototype for making almost any network appliance.

Best wishes,  David Walker

Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:03:39 GMT
 8051 family Forths and Ethernet drivers
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:03:39 +0200, "David K Walker"
Quote:

>Rather than search for alternatives I am hoping someone on this list might
>have some good suggestions for how I can complete the puzzle simply and
>cheaply using mainly Forth, including:-
> -- Editing and download to the target Philips microcontroller chip
> -- Essential TCP/IP protocols: IP, ARP, RARP, ICMP, TCP
> -- Ethernet driver using the timer array on the target chip

All the components are available from MPE. See our web site
for details of 8051 cross compilers and PowerNet TCP/IP stack.

Stephen

tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691
web: http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk - free VFX Forth downloads

Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:51:29 GMT

1. Bryte Forth & other 8051 forths

2. FORTH on the 8051 family micros

3. LabVIEW and EtherNet Drivers for PCI Ethernet cards ?

4. Subdividing Forths into families /was: questions about new ANS Forth

5. GE/Fanuc Series 90-30 Ethernet Driver?

6. ethernet driver for yokogawa

7. Ethernet Drivers

8. Signals from ethernet card driver

9. making ethernet "driver"

10. How to program DP 83905 ethernet driver

11. Ethernet Driver for UDP/IP

12. Ethernet driver in Ada????