Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;) 
Author Message
 Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;)

Has anyone done CPM in Forth?

[
Explanatory note:
In the realm of project management - frequently construction
contracting - there exists a scheduling methodology called Critical
Path Method. It's basic idea is that the earliest completion date of a
project can be determined by finding the path through a series of
tasks whose "Start Date" is >= "Late Finnish Date" of all supporting
tasks has no "Float Days { days of no activity }".
]

It would seem to me that one could come up with a Forth-like language
whose " "colon" " definitions might resemble:

: EarlyStart( activity x ) = MAX ( EarlyFinish{preceding} )
: LateFinnish( activity x ) = LateStart( activity x ) + MaxDuration(
activity x )
: Float( activity x ) = LateFinnish( activity x ) -  EarlyFinish{
activity x }

Any comments from those who use CPM would be appreciated.
Would users of CPM consider a Forth-like expression to be useful.

As an aside to Mr. Fox:
YES, Forth is weird. THAT IS WHY IT IS VALUABLE!



Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:45:10 GMT  
 Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;)
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:45:10 -0500, Richard Owlett

Quote:

>It would seem to me that one could come up with a Forth-like language
>whose " "colon" " definitions might resemble:

>: EarlyStart( activity x ) = MAX ( EarlyFinish{preceding} )
>: LateFinish( activity x ) = LateStart( activity x ) + MaxDuration(
>activity x )
>: Float( activity x ) = LateFinish( activity x ) -  EarlyFinish{
>activity x }

Sounds like a candidate for back-tracking. Forth can be extended into
a neat back-tracking language (though not portably).

(I don't use CPM - I do scheduling using expensive MILP solvers)



Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:37:35 GMT  
 Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;)

Quote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:45:10 -0500, Richard Owlett

> >It would seem to me that one could come up with a Forth-like language
> >whose " "colon" " definitions might resemble:

> >: EarlyStart( activity x ) = MAX ( EarlyFinish{preceding} )
> >: LateFinish( activity x ) = LateStart( activity x ) + MaxDuration(
> >activity x )
> >: Float( activity x ) = LateFinish( activity x ) -  EarlyFinish{
> >activity x }

> Sounds like a candidate for back-tracking. Forth can be extended into
> a neat back-tracking language (though not portably).

I've seen references to "back-tracking" before but never knew what it
was. Can you point me to some background for a non-Comp Sci person?

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> (I don't use CPM - I do scheduling using expensive MILP solvers)



Tue, 12 Apr 2005 07:29:05 GMT  
 Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;)

Quote:

>I've seen references to "back-tracking" before but never knew what it
>was. Can you point me to some background for a non-Comp Sci person?

If you search your way in a maze, and arrive at a dead end, and you go
back to the last point where you had a choice that you still have not
tried, that's backtracking.

- anton
--
M. Anton Ertl  http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html
comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html



Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:38:04 GMT  
 Critical Path Method ( aka CPM in another techno babble jargon ;)
On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:29:05 -0500, Richard Owlett

Quote:

>> Sounds like a candidate for back-tracking. Forth can be extended into
>> a neat back-tracking language (though not portably).

>I've seen references to "back-tracking" before but never knew what it
>was. Can you point me to some background for a non-Comp Sci person?

I was thinking of the pattern-matching and back-tracking in FoSM - see
ftp://ftp.taygeta.com/pub/Forth/Applications/fosm1v1.zip. This
distribution contains code and lots of explanation.

Another reference is BacForth which I believe is by Michael Gassanenko
who also posts to this newsgroup.

Hope this helps.
                                  ____/  /  __  /   /   /   /   /
Bye for now                      /      /  /  _/   /   /   /  /
                                __/    /  / __    /   /   /_/
Chris Jakeman                  /      /  /   /   /   /   /  \
                            __/    __/  ____/    ___/ __/   _\

                           Forth Interest Group United Kingdom
Voice +44 (0)1733 753489   chapter at http://forth.org.uk



Sat, 16 Apr 2005 04:31:13 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. parser API style - methods take path or file vs sep methods for path and file

2. Critical path

3. Find Critical Path using ISE 4.2

4. Critical Path Algorithm

5. Tree best route / critical path analysis

6. REPOST: Re: import path, script path (was Re: module path)

7. Shortest path method

8. passing object methods to os.path.walk ?

9. How to use os.path.walk method

10. dynamic path to a method ???

11. CPM Forth Cross Compiler Help

12. Seen in comp.os.cpm

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software