Market for the Forth Computers
Author Message
 Market for the Forth Computers

Here is a computer that would be a good target for the Forth
Programmer who programs embedded systems:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

This opens a new area of needing a forth os.

geakazoid

Mon, 04 Apr 2005 03:50:00 GMT
 Market for the Forth Computers

Quote:

> Here is a computer that would be a good target for the Forth
> Programmer who programs embedded systems:

> http://www.explan.co.uk/hardware/solo.shtml

> This opens a new area of needing a forth os.

> geakazoid

Here is another. I'm currently using these as short-range wireless terminal gizmos.
http://www.cybikoextreme.com for about $70, they're pretty amazing.

Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:33:41 GMT
 Market for the Forth Computers

Quote:
> I'm currently using these as short-range wireless terminal gizmos.
> http://www.cybikoextreme.com for about $70, they're pretty amazing.

Please tell us more.
JP

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 09:46:18 GMT
 Market for the Forth Computers

Quote:

> > I'm currently using these as short-range wireless terminal gizmos.
> > http://www.cybikoextreme.com for about $70, they're pretty amazing.

> Please tell us more.
> JP

First, I typoed on the URL. Its really:
http://www.cybikoxtreme.com

They're about the size of a Palm Pilot with a much smaller screen.
They have a qwerty keypad with cursor and select keys. The cool part
is the wireless networking. They use a 900MHz carrier and get about a
100' range in the house. They will also automatically relay for each
other so you can extend the range to easily 200'. The third device is
hooked to a Windows machine through USB. This unit automatically
becomes a wireless hub and internet gateway. With the small display
you can access wap serives and text web pages.

I'm actually using it for research on a inexpensive wireless data
terminal project for a client. These units may work for them with the
right software or we may have to design something different. Right now
I'm just toying with them and learning about all their features. And
there are very feature rich.

There is currently no Forth for them there are a couple of SDKs. One
that even runs on the Palm Pilot. It uses a Hitachi processor (not
sure which one yet) so a port shouldn't be too hard. A good Forth port
with interfaces to their Cybiko OS and communications would turn this
gadget into quite a capable, cheap, pocket computer.

Noel

Wed, 06 Apr 2005 23:57:47 GMT

1. Early Computers (was Market pressures for more reliable software)

2. Computer Language Market Survey

3. Early Computers (was Market pressures for more reliable software)

4. Early Computers (was Market pressures for more reliable software)

5. FORTH projects on commerial software market

6. Marketing FORTH

7. Forth for the market place

8. Marketing Forth

9. Marketing Forth

10. Computer History Museum tour and no sign of Forth

11. Windows Forth for handheld computer?

12. Best computer for FORTH?